New bewildered member continued

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Merlin’sMama, May 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin’sMama

Merlin’sMama Well-Known Member

Hi everybody. Sorry I went on so long in the last thread. So many questions. I need to add a link to the old bewildered member thread, but I don’t know how. Merlin will begin his treatment Monday morning with Caninsulin (because It’s not possible to start with any other in Cork). They said they have to sedate him to apply the libre device, and then they will give insulin and keep him to test all day. Poor little guy. I hope he will be ok. The vet insists that this is the best way, so I’m going with it for now. First chance I get, I will request Lantus and/or change vets, but any other vet at this point would need another 10 days to order everything. I have to get this going for him. I will shop for a meter and lancets today at Boots. Meanwhile I will continue my quest for a wet food that all three cats will eat.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Previous post for continuity
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-bewildered-member.262616/#post-2946457

When ever you want to link the previous days post to your new one look all the way up top by that pic of the cat on the left hand side , your previous days post will be above that in that long line, it starts with https: copy and then paste it to your new post

If you need help setting up your signature and spreadsheet after you start the insulin, just ask we have a member who will be happy to do it for you, just ask and I will contact her for you

Meantime you can read about how to set up the spreadsheet and this link will explain how the spreadsheet works
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-use-the-spreadsheet.241653/

And you can read about can insulin
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

After you get the blood work from the vet you can either take a screenshot and post it here or on the spreadsheet there is a labs tap and you can enter it there

Here is the link for your signature
    Just tap on your name , then tap on signature and add the information and tap save
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  3. Paulina

Paulina Member

Sorry just noticed a new thread so I copy and paste what I wrote in the old one
    Hi ladies!! I actually called my vet to ask and they said it basically depends of the vet supplier which insulin they have and also as long as the pet is under the vet care they can prescribe insulin which u can then buy in the pharmacy.

4. Merlin’sMama

Hi everybody
    At last, Merlin’s vet appointment is scheduled for tomorrow morning. We are anxious and worried, but it will be good to get him started on insulin at last. She has requested we bring in his food, so that’s a good sign. She also said that he will need to be sedated to install the Libre. I’m worried that that will raise his numbers, but I don’t really have a choice if I want him treated right away. I asked at our local pharmacy if they had a glucometer, and the pharmacist gave me a “GlucoMen areo” for free. I have no idea if it is one that requires a whole lotta blood? Should I start with this one? What is the most recommended glucometer? I will be filling out my spreadsheet and signature this week! And I have taken up the dry food, although my other two cats hate me and my stupid fifty-seven flavors of yucky wet food now. No more dry food for anybody. I know that’s best for everybody.

Paulina likes this.
  5. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

we did the same. Went cold turkey, just cut it off completely

found out later, that is not exactly recommended. A gradual transition is apparently the "best" way to do it? I don't know, cold turkey worked for us.

6. Merlin’sMama

I had a chat with my smart girl cat, Ooona, who is very fond of crunchies. I said it’s for the good of everyone and that I needed her to at least try new wet foods. She is not happy, but when I put the dry food in front of her now, she just turns away from it. It’s a little creepy how much she understands me. But then, she has been throwing up a lot of nothing today and just licks the wet off of the wet food. Poor thing.

7. Paulina

Paulina Member

Try mixing both first to get their tummy to get used to the New ones and then decrease the dry day by day

8. Paulina

Paulina Member

Also my ginger girl refused the wet on the beggining to the point I thought she will starve. It took ages to wean her off the dry. But even these days I have to crush one small piece of snack on top of her wet as she’s a diva and just sniffs whatever I offer and walk away :rolleyes:

9. Merlin’sMama

Ooona has always given a dirty look at any wet food that is placed before her. Even stuff she ends up eating! Like a kid crinkling up her nose.

Paulina likes this.
  10. Paulina

Paulina Member

:p

11. Merlin’sMama

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

I looked at your new post and I already linked this one to your new one
    The previous days links are above the pic of the cat,
    When you post I would start putting the date in your titles

Merlin’sMama likes this.
  13. Merlin’sMama

I want to get started with the pokey pokies. Can anyone suggest lancet brands and where to get them in Ireland? I asked my local pharmacist and he gave me a GlucoMen monitor for free that has a pen thingie in it. Also, is GlucoMen an ok one to use for this forum? Will I have to convert everything? Anybody heard of it? What is the most popular system that uses the least amount of blood and is easily recorded on the spreadsheet? Thanks!

14. Merlin’sMama

I wanted to add Merlin's diagnosis bloodwork, but I can't find where to open up a spreadsheet to add it to?

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have never heard of that monitor, what do you mean it has a pen thingie in it?
    You will have to enter his BG numbers on the spreadsheet
    As for lancets you will want to get either 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    I will tag @Paulina for you to see if she knows

I just looked at Paulina's signature and she that she uses the Contour Plus meter

This link will explain how the spreadsheet works
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-use-the-spreadsheet.241653/

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  16. Diane Tyler's Mom

I remember you said the vet wants to start with caninsulin , did you get it yet?
    First can we need you to set up your signature ,it's information about our cats and at the end of everyones post in gray. Tap on your name , then tap on signature and add the information
    I'll give you the link for , then I'll ask Bhooma
    @Bandit's Mom to set up our spreadsheet for you, she will send you a message so look for it above where it says inbox
    After your spreadsheet is set up you will see up top where it says labs , you can fill in the blood work there or you can just post it here

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

• Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

17. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi Jill
    I've had a quick look around and the Glucomen Areo seems to be fine as it only needs a small 0.5ul blood sample to work but i've never heard of it.
    From what i'm aware is that any human meter is fine to use it's just some need a bigger blood sample than others.
    I use the pet meter alphatrak which only requires 0.3ul but the strips are way way more expensive than human meter strips.
    You can use any lancet brand but most recommend using 28 gauge lancets and doing the ear prick freehand.
    You will not need to convert anything, just enter your readings into the spreadsheet when you have it set up.
    Here's a little bit about UK blood glucose meters, human and pet. Some of the meters might not exist now as it was March 2020 when @Elizabeth and Bertie posted it, but i know that the Gluco Navii does exist as does the Alphtrak.

UK BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS
    You can use a glucose meter made for pets or one made for humans. Both are fine. They do however 'read' the blood glucose slightly differently. It's important to be aware of this.

The most popular human meter for kitties in the UK currently (March 2020) seems to be the SD Codefree. This has a reputation for being the cheapest to use. However, there is now a new meter made by the same manufacturer, the Gluco Navii. The new meter appears to have a couple of advantages over the SD Codefree. It takes a smaller blood sample, and is advertised as having improved accuracy.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GlucoNavii-Blood-Glucose-Monitor-Starter/dp/B082MP5XN5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=sd biosensor gluconavii&qid=1583674045&s=drugstore&sr=1-4
    Other popular human meters include the Accu Chek meters, and the One Touch Verio meters.
    The most popular pet meter is the Alphatrak. This is a nice meter but probably the most expensive to use.

The main cost of testing is the test strips
    . The SD Codefree is currently the cheapest meter to use. The Alphatrak is probably the most expensive.

Pet meters, such as Alphatrak, usually give slightly higher readings than human meters, and may give readings closer to those that you would see at your vet's clinic. They are typically more expensive to use than human meters. The GlucoRx Vet meter, from Wellnostics, is a cheaper alternative to the Alphatrak.
    If you use a PET meter please let people here know this if you are asking for advice. And add that you are using a pet meter to your 'signature'.

Human meters usually give slightly lower readings than pet meters. And they may give a reading slightly lower than your vet might get. They are usually cheaper to run (sometimes much cheaper) than pet meters such as Alphatrak. Most people here currently use human meters.

Note: All of the insulin dosing protocols used here were devised using data from human glucose meters. So an adjustment will need to be made if you are using a pet meter.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi Diane,
    I think the pen thingie is the lancet device/pen/holder.

19. Merlin’sMama

Yes, I believe that's what it is. It has a control on the tip to "adjust the depth." It came with some green plastic things that I think have needles inside them. Is this pen what people use for cat's ears? Or somehow use the green plastic things? Oh boy, I am truly a beginner. I need to go the youtube route, I think. And how deep do you poke? And here's a thing I can't tell from the diagram: Do you poke the front of the ear, face side, or the back?

20. Merlin’sMama

I cancelled Merlin's appointment today as it involved: fasting him before 930 appointment, sedating him to place the Freestyle Libre (!), feeding him prescription Royal Canin after he recovered from sedation, giving him Caninsulin at god knows what time, and keeping him in a cage for twelve hours after that to do a curve from the monitor. It seemed really extreme and like a terribly unnecessary long day for Merlin, not to mention stressful. She's the vet that told me off for "googling" when I requested Lantus, so I think she is all or nothing. I have emailed another vet in town who has really good reviews, so we will take him there for a second opinion. This time I will ask what his experience is with diabetic cats. Obviously, the first vet had very little. We have a cat-only vet in town, but they are not accepting any new patients and there is no waitlist. I hope this new vet will treat me like a partner in Merlin's treatment.

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have never used the lancing device to poke, most of us just hold the lancet and poke with that, I feel you can see much better where you are poking
    Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming
    You can also put a thin layer of vaseline on the ear ,to help the blood bead up
    A video one of our members posted
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

22. Merlin’sMama

Thank you! I will try to get my hands on a Glucoses Navii, but they are all sold out on Amazon. Is there a certain type/brand of lancets I should look for on Amazon?

23. Merlin’sMama

Thank you. Thats the diagram where I can't see if you poke the front face side of the ear or the back...

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Either side is ok, I always poke the front side where all the hair is lol
    Also any brand lancet is fine 26 or 28 gauge

Merlin’sMama likes this.
  25. Merlin’sMama

Also, the Glucomen came with some test strips, but I see that they expired March 3 2022. The bottle is unopened. Could I still use them?

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

I Wouldn't use them

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Also any brand lancet is fine 26 or 28 gauge
    When you look at the lancet closely you will see one side is pointed upward that s the side you want to poke with

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  28. Merlin’sMama

I am in Ireland, so I have to use Amazon.co.uk.

29. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just realized that crap!

30. Merlin’sMama

I inspected the lancets that the Glucomen came with. They are 33 gauge. Is that bigger or smaller than the ones you recommended? Do you think that means the meter won't work with a different gauge lancet?

31. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

33 gauge is a smaller needle than the 28 gauge, the higher the gauge number the smaller the needle.
    The lancets are nothing to do with the meter, as long as you get enough blood from Merlins ear your meter will work but with it being a smaller needle it might be harder, i'm not sure.
    I have used abbott freestyle lancets 28 gauge, microlet lancets 28g and Kinetik Wellbeing lancets 30g. All have been fine.
    Regarding the strips being out of date, you can still use them to practice with until you get some that are in date, at least that way you will still get a reading plus getting practice in without ruining new strips.
    Here's a video on how to take blood
    How to test your cat's blood sugar

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Paulina any suggestions for a meter

Paulina likes this.
  33. Paulina

Paulina Member

I use contour plus - only beacuse my partners mother got it for me in Poland where i could get the strips cheaper than here. My friend works in the Hospital here in Galway and has discount for the pharmacy there so if im stuck with my contour PLUS i get the strips for contour NEXT and then they are around 13e per 50 in box and usually they probably like 20e or over. The glucometers are usually free. The strips are very expensive here unfortunately :cool:

34. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You want to go with the 26 or 28's to start. It takes a while for their ears to learn to bleed as easily. Save the 33's, those will be good for later.

35. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bandit's Mom
    Hi Bhooma can you take a look at # 16 it's about setting up a SS for
    I asked her to do her signature and if her vet gave her caninsulun yet but she hasn't responded yet
    @Merlin’sMama
    Thank you Bhooma

36. Merlin’sMama

Here’s Merlin’s ear! I aim between the big vein on the far right and the edge, right? More toward the tip than the base? Just preparing for when my lancets arrive in the post.
    upload_2022-5-10_10-53-9.jpeg

37. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Yes that's right Jill, try to avoid the big vein but not to worry if you hit it as it will just bleed more, also try to prick at a 45 degree angle so's that you don't poke straight through the ear, again no big issue but best try not to do that, i've gone through a few times.
    Don't get too disheartened if it does not work straight away, some cats bleed easier than others.
    This is where you want to aim, just to the left of the main vain.
    upload_2022-5-10_10-53-9.jpg

38. Diane Tyler's Mom

It just doesn't always have to be poked on the far right, you can poke up toward the tip of the ear , the left side of the ear

39. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

I actually find the left side bleeds better but with more ear hair there it can be challenging to get the droplet onto the strip, at least for me. Even with vaseline applied sometimes it's no good

when we were first learning, we never poked the hairy side. Once we felt like we had a decent handle on the pokey process we started trying the other side and now we rotate around, using both sides of the ear and moving up and down the edge to allow for the most healing possible of previous poke spot

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  40. Merlin’sMama

Ok. I’m just waiting for my lancet delivery. Then I will give it a try! I’m really wanting to do a curve before starting insulin, as, since his diet change, he has perked up so much. I’m going to arrange a meeting with the first vet tomorrow to discuss this. The second vet fell through.

41. Merlin’sMama

I’m a little confused… you said to the left of the main vein, but the part circled is to the right. Do you mean if you’re poking it on the back side of the ear?

42. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yes. From that photo, which is taken from the front of the cat’s face, it would be to the right of the vein. If I were coming from behind my cat’s head, as I nearly always did, if I were using his left ear, I would be aiming to the left of the vein. If I were using his right ear, I would be aiming to the right of the vein.

43. Suzanne & Darcy

You can poke from the front or back of the ears - whatever is better for your cat. In the beginning, I kept my boy busy with some treats or food while I mucked about with his ear (I wasn’t very good.). I probably didn’t need to do this because he was such a wonderful cat who never complained - although he did seem to wonder what I was doing messing around with his ears in the beginning.

44. Merlin’sMama

Got it. Thanks!

45. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Sorry Jill, my mistake, you're right it's to the right of the vein in the photo.

Merlin’sMama likes this.
  46. Merlin’sMama

I’m going back to the first vet, as the other one is not accepting new patients. I am meeting with her today, without Merlin, to ask her to: 1. Apply the Libre sensor without sedation 2. Let it do its job at home to do a curve pre-insulin for a few days, as her diagnosis was based on one blood test after dry food two weeks ago. (He is now off dry food, eating all LC wet food, peeing less often, drinking less water, seeming happy). 3. After first insulin dose, I will bring him home to do the curve. I already asked her for Lantus and she outright refused, so Caninsulin it will have to be…at least until we use Merlin as a cat guinea pig to prove that it doesn’t work that well on cats. I will also ask her to do a BG reading and a fructosamine test the day of the Libre connection. Does this all sound reasonable to y’all?

47. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Sounds like a good plan Jill.
    I would also ask about Prozinc insulin and try to explain to her the Caninsulin was developed for dogs whereas Prozinc was developed for cats. As @Paulina says it is available in Ireland.
    Have a look at this link you could get some questions to ask your vet.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/preparing-insulin-ahead-of-time.229592/
    If you click on the blue link in post 13, it will open up a page about Feline Diabetes from the Royal Veterinary College stating that Prozinc is better than Caninsulin. Maybe give the link to your vet for her to read.
    This section states it on page 4, 2) Use a long-acting insulin to reduce the pathological hyperglycaemia
    As for the Fructosamine test, probably not needed as you have changed his food to LC plus the libre will give you all the info you need.
    Are you home testing yet?
    This link is quite interesting as well, especially the link in post 10.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/why-are-you-choosing-prozinc.210515/#post-2334890

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Paulina and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  48. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

good luck Jill! We'll be here with you and Merlin no matter what!

Paulina likes this.
  49. Merlin’sMama

Thank you. So lovely to see this after a long tossy-turny night. On our way to get the Libre sans sedation! Monitoring for a short while, then insulin begins.

50. Merlin’sMama

Just realized I didn’t write the results of my meeting with the vet yesterday. Our face to face meeting went really well, way better than emailing. We will be fitting the Libre this morning, without sedation, monitoring his levels without insulin for a few days, and, if he needs it still, which I’m pretty sure he does, she is looking in to ordering Lantus (or Prozinc?) instead of Caninsulin. I told her I have friends dealing with FD and also I have spoken with my previous vet in the US. It was a total turn-around from last week when she emailed me that “googling around different insulins” isn’t enough. I think I found out from Pauline last week that Prozinc is not available in Ireland, but Lantus is…Would Lantus be a better starter than Caninsulin, if Prozinc isn’t an option?

Paulina and Teetee (UK) like this.
  51. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

That's great news Jill, it sounds like your vet is coming around or maybe studied up a little on FD.
    Lantus is the better option than Caninsulin as is Prozinc. Lantus works by building up a reservoir in the body whilst Prozinc and Caninsulin are used up throughout the 12 hour period. If Merlin does go onto Lantus there is a Lantus forum detailing everything about it here.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-levemir-biosimilars.9/
    How are you getting on with your spreadsheet? as i and others would really like to see how he gets on.

52. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Lantus yay! That is fantastic news Jill!!

Personally I think Lantus/insulin glargine is the best insulin for cats but of course I'm biased because that is what has helped Hendrick so much, haha. But it is not just Hendrick, Lantus has helped a lot of cats, but so has ProZinc both are good. This is great news.

53. Merlin’sMama

The vet has put a request in for Lantus! I don’t think she knows much about it, however. Maybe not even that it requires different syringes? It sold her that our previous vet in CO recommended glargine. Merlin has the libre installed and we made a sort of vest with an old pair of tights to put over it. She used super glue to attach it, which is rather shocking, but I couldn’t say anything in the middle of it all. Now we are waiting for the sensor in the app to “warm up”. No idea how long. Meanwhile, I will start the pokie pokie tonight. We all got some practice with the injections, so pokie should be easier…

Teetee (UK) and Angela & Cleo like this.
  54. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Hi Jill! Wonderful news all around.
    When my cat had the Libre, the Vet used super glue as well. It stayed on well after the sensor stopped working:banghead:. We went back to the Vet to have it removed. There was some skin irritation but Cleo didn't seem bothered by it.
    It's great that you will use this opportunity to practice the ear pricks:p. I really suggest setting up the spreadsheet. It's a fantastic visual tool to see how kitty's BG reacts to different foods, exercise, etc etc. Let us know if you need anything. So happy to hear all this great progress. You are doing an amazing job. Keep up the good work.

Teetee (UK) likes this.
  55. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

yes from what I understand super glue is the usual attachment method

when Hendrick had DKA he had a Libre on him at the vet hospital, and the glue residue stayed on his skin for a few weeks but otherwise it did not cause any sort of issue or irritation, thankfully.

Teetee (UK) likes this.
  56. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Brilliant Jill
    I don't know much about the freestyle libre but the super glue thing is normal to keep the sensor in place, also i'm not sure whether you need to prick his ear now as all the BG readings will be sent to your phone.
    This thread explains lots of things about the Libre.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...stration-explanations-tips-discussion.221630/
    Also there is a Facebook group called Freestyle Libre for dogs and cats, i'm not on Facebook so i can't see it or say what it's like but i'm sure there will be lots of people on there willing to give you advice as well as on this forum.
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/2894089194158745/about/

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  57. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Hi @Angela & Cleo
    Will Jill still need to do the ear pricks now the Libre has been installed?

58. Angela & Cleo

I used the opportunity to learn and countercondition Cleo to accepting the ear pricks. She's a spicy kitty.

Being totally honest here...my BIGGEST regret is not learning how to monitor sooner. We lost a lot of time from diagnosis flying blind. Having the Libre proved to me that BG checks are the BEST way to keep kitty safe.
    Also, my experience was that the sensor often gave a reading which suggested that a blood drop with a glucometer was needed to verify the scanned reault. It also stopped giving readings after 10 days.
    That being said I found the Libre to be excellent help especially at first and would do it again if I can't be around to monitor and admin insulin.
    This is just my opinion based on my personal experience.

Suzanne & Darcy and Teetee (UK) like this.
  59. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

Thanks for that Angela.
    I didn't think of it like that but the explanation makes perfect sense doing it that way.

60. Merlin’sMama

I will be learning to ear prick too. My lancets just arrived in the post and I have 10 sticks to practice with. I have been fondling Merlin’s ears any chance I get. He really doesn’t mind! I am not sure if my spreadsheet got set up yet? Also, is there a place for me to record readings from the Libre, or do I not need to do that?

61. Suzanne & Darcy

This is awesome news! Way to go being an advocate for Merlin. You are so great!

62. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

I can't say about the Libre readings and how to record them, maybe @Angela & Cleo could help you with that.
    Is somebody setting up your spreadsheet for you Jill?

63. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

I believe the Libre can work with a smartphone app or PC, sends all the data to it for you to look at

Suzanne & Darcy and Teetee (UK) like this.
  64. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

@Bobbi Kraham is using one with Dimi, Bobbi can you confirm how you view the Libre data?

65. Suzanne & Darcy

@Bandit's Mom are you/can you get a spreadsheet set up for Jill?

Angela & Cleo and Teetee (UK) like this.
  66. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

I'm sure i read somewhere that Bhooma was away on holiday for a few days.

67. Suzanne & Darcy

She was. I believe she's back now. She's been posting on the Board. Just saw it this morning. :)

68. Merlin’sMama

I just realized maybe I should wait til insulin begins to start a spreadsheet… We are doing a curve before insulin to make sure its what he needs, not just a change in diet. But he is still losing weight, so I’m pretty sure the insulin will start as soon as the vet gets the Lantus in.

69. Merlin’sMama

I also need to know what range of BG to set up as “normal” in the libre settings.

70. Angela & Cleo

Hi Jill,
    I am sorry if my posts are coming across aggressively especially with home monitoring kitty's BG levels. It is not my intention. Your introduction post to this forum reminded me of myself back in January 2022.

FWIW, I made a number of, what I now consider, BIG mistakes in the beginning and if I had a time machine I would have started at this place with all of the kind and considerate people here volunteering to help.

I harp on the spreadsheet because the "data" in it is what helps others help Cleo (and me). I know you are not yet administering insulin, but recording the BG readings in the spreadsheet will help determine what and how food influences adorable little Merlin, for example food bumps, among other things more experienced members will gather by looking at the trends. That information is very helpful if/when you do need to give insulin.

If you need anything, please do not hesitate. :bighug:

71. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Data is data, and what his BG is without insulin is still worthwhile to record on the spreadsheet, in my opinion.

72. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

There are 2 types of Libre sensors - the Freestyle Libre 14 day and the Freestyle Libre 2. I use the 14 day and scan the sensor with my iPhone, using the Librelink app. The libre 2 uses a different app. I access the data through the app. You can also buy a Freestyle Libre reader to scan if you don't have or don't want to use a phone, but you need to connect the reader to your computer and manually upload the data. I find the phone to be easer. All data is stored in the app, and I manually add the readings to Dimi's spreadsheet. I find the libre tends to read low, so when I get a concerning number on the libre, I do an ear prick as a backup. Happy to answer any questions you have. I've been using the libre for 3 months now, and find it a useful tool, especially for overnight scanning.

73. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

hmmm, that's strange. I have a new libre applied every 7-10 days and the vet tech never needs to sedate my cat. It's a pretty easy and painless process.

74. Merlin’sMama

The vet applied it without sedation, as per my insistence. I scratched his ears. She commented on how easy going he is! Ha!

Bobbi Kraham likes this.
  75. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

Yikes, superglue! Our vet tech used to use skin tac, but now uses a water soluble adhesive to attach the sensor. It has never come off and doesn't irritate Dimi's skin. I'll soon be applying the sensors myself, so just ordered some from Amazon. Here is the link in case you are interested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0923898JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

76. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

77. Merlin’sMama

78. Merlin’sMama

The libre sensor is giving me troubles. It warms up for an hour, and then it doesn’t work. “Please check your Sensor. If it is loose from your skin, please remove the Sensor and start a new one. If it is applied properly, try starting the Sensor again.” Then I held it up again and it restarted itself, but is warming up for another hour. I fear that it’s not applied right, it is stuck with superglue so wont come off, the vet will have to take another week to order another one, and she will say “see, we should have sedated him.” I’ll try again in an hour.

79. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

Ugh, sorry to hear. I haven't experienced that one yet, but I do have a love/hate relationship with the libre. Love - you can scan to your heart's content and scanning overnight in your sleep is easy. Hate - In the 3 months I've been using them, they've only once lasted the full 14 days. On average, I'd say they last 10 days, but one stopped working after 4 days. Fortunately, Abbott, the company who makes them has good customer service, and they're open to sending replacement sensors free of charge. If you go that route, just don't mention that the sensor is being used for a pet.

80. Paulina

Paulina Member

Just catching up with all the comments - Prozinc is available as is Lantus. My Frodo started with prozinc and then we switched to Lantus as
    He was bit too bouncy on Prozinc.

81. Merlin’sMama

I just tried to do our first bg test. I managed to poke and draw blood from everyone in the family, except the cat. And it’s like a cotton ball factory exploded. After wasting three strips, I got just enough blood to get an error code that it wasn’t enough blood. And now the other cat who was watching the whole fiasco thinks she deserves a treat.

Paulina likes this.
  82. Bobbi Kraham

Bobbi Kraham Member

lol - sorry, been there. It will get better. I practiced on myself a bunch to see exactly how much blood was needed.

83. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

sounds very familiar but give yourself some credit, you DID get blood on a strip, just not enough. The "not enough" issue still happens to me on occasion so hang in there. At this point I know how big of a blood drop I need for the strip to not error out but sometimes the drop is flatter than I realize, not as much volume as needed.

For your first attempt, honestly, that is far far better than my wife and I did for our entire first week of attempts. Good job!!

Paulina and Merlin’sMama like this.
  84. Paulina

Paulina Member

That’s great news. Like everyone said here that’s far better try than most of us had on the beginning. Well done! I think with areo u need slightly bigger amount (I had this glucometer in my pregnancy) so next time when u have blood drop already try to lightly squeeze the ear with ur two fingers from inside part toward outside where the drop is like u want to push the blood out of the veins - like when u try to squeeze the rest bit of food out of the pouch:joyful: Anyways - Good job!!! :bighug:

Merlin’sMama likes this.
  85. Merlin’sMama

Any advice on how to remove a totally useless Libre that was put on with super glue??? I have no source for uni-solve…

86. Teetee (UK)

Teetee (UK) Member

I'm not sure Jill, but don't try to force it. Maybe warm soapy water might help or you could just leave it and let the vet remove it.
    Have you spoken to your vet about the Libre not working.

87. Merlin’sMama

I have. She is ordering a new one. No idea how long that will take.

88. Merlin’sMama

I got a reading on the contour!!! It’s 15.9 mmol/L. It’s 5:40 pm and he had some food at 4. What does this mean? I’m shaking…. There’s blood on everything I did it though!!

89. Suzanne & Darcy

Good job. That’s a 286 in our numbers. Very safe number to get. What hour past shot time is it? Plus what number? We need to get you a spreadsheet!

90. Suzanne & Darcy

I would be very careful about trying to remove the defunct libre sensor. We recently had a member here whose cat got a wound from where the libre had been. The kitty was okay and healed up, but you don’t want your baby to have a skin tear. Having said that, sometimes the cats remove the sensors themselves.

91. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, and about the BG testing- don’t forget that you can “milk” a little bit more blood from the ear and put it on your fingernail and then touch the tip of the test strip to the drop on your fingernail to get a reading.

Merlin’sMama likes this.
  92. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

I use the libre 2 here and put the sensors in myself at home. I ordered a small battery charged shaver and shave the area where the sensor is. You want no fur there. clean the area with the alcohol wipes that come with it. I use skin tac (ordered off amazon which is basically a wipe that when dry makes the skin a little more stickier. i then put on the sensor. the first few times I secured with cobain wrap and a shirt. Chance was pulling his fur out so this time I thought I'd try something new and just put two pieces of adhesive tape over it. one vertically and one horizontally. will see how this works. The abott libre 800 number for technical support is phenomenal at providing help and will often replace a sensor that is not working the full 14 days. I've heard of vets using super glue and some even put a couple sutures to keep it in place. superglue is harder to remove and may irritate the skin. you may have to order some uni solve adhesive remover off amazon to help remove the glue. as someone mentioned above, always if you get a funky reading or it doesn't seem right, check it by blood and don't just rely on the libre. They do malfunction at times. It's great technology and does make life easier but nothing is 100% proof.

93. Merlin’sMama

Merlin is still not on insulin. Everything runs at a snail’s pace it seems at our vets here in Ireland. She has at least sourced the Lantus after I told her my old vet in Colorado recommended it. She has a new libre to install. With superglue again, because I can’t find skin adhesive. I also can’t find skin friendly solvent to get the old sensor off. I will keep trying to test today to get some practice in. I don’t know how I’m going to get this down to a routine. It all seems so huge, and I just keep crying from the stress of it all.

94. Merlin’sMama

The sensor is still stuck on halfway. The vet gave me some “methylated spirits” to remove it, which is basically alcohol. It did nothing. I put coconut oil all around it last night. It did nothing too. I wonder if the vet’s plan is to rip it off? She doesn’t have any solvent that I don’t, I guess.

95. Angela & Cleo

Hi Jill,
    May I suggest a cotton ball soaked in oil (coconut or baby) and put it a little under the Libre sensor button for about 5-10 minutes. Let it sit there to loosen the adhesive. Do it again every 1-3 hours for 5-10 minutes at a time. The way is to slowly dissolve the adhesive from the outer areas of the device until you get to the center. It also minimizes the possible skin irritation when it's time to "rip it off" which is what my Vet did. He ripped it off Cleo :banghead: and she was very angry.

I read you got an ear prick!!! Wonderful progress!! :bighug: So proud of you. Have you tried again? How long after feeding Merlin was that reading?

96. Suzanne & Darcy

I guess I meant what hour after eating did you get that reading. I hope you have been able to het another successful reading. I cried a lot in the first weeks of learning to test. A Libre sensor was never offered to me and I knew nothing about them at the time. You will get into a routine. Don’t worry. You are doing really well. I’m proud of your persistence and how you have handled the vet difficulties. You have had the added stress of being in a new place with limited access to things that you need for Merlin. Hang in there!

I am concerned about the superglue. Whenever I have had a mishap and got super glue on myself (a few times) the only thing that removes it is nail polish remover that contains acetone! I definitely would not recommend putting that on Merlin’s skin. For the future, has the vet ordered some kind of vet skin bonding product? I know that in human medicine they do use something like super glue as well, and I am sure they must have a special solvent for it.

97. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here is the skin after Badger scratched off the sensor. Thus was after it expired after 14 days (yeh) and I removed the wrap covering it and went to the kitchen to get some olive oil to help removal. I put some provide iodine on the are and all was well.
    Skin aftern sensor removed.jpg

98. Merlin’sMama

I got another reading today! 17.8, about 45 minutes after a small bite to eat. I know it’s scattered and random, but it was a little easier this time…

99. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jill --

Please try to start a new thread once there are 50 posts. This is way long to try to sort through.

Also, if your testing, please start a spreadsheet. This instructions are in this post on helping us to help you.

100. Suzanne & Darcy

Poor Badger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.