Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Czak, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Czak

Czak New Member

Hello everyone. I'm new here. My cat is 14years old, weighs 16lbs and was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 months ago. We have a good plan working with his vet now. We changed his food. So now he only eats fancy first chicken/turkey chunky wet food. He loves it. He takes 5iu of prozink 2x a day 12 hours apart. He is using the litter box for peeing and pooping, however I feel like he's straining to go. I'll upload a video if I can to show you what I mean. Does this look normal?

His neuropathy is pretty bad. He can't hold himself up for very long. I sometimes have to hold him to pee or poo. Is the struggling part due to the neuropathy? I'm unsure.

He loves to play and is very alert. I'm unsure if he also has arthritis or not. I do give him 2 cocequin treats per day to try and help manage pain.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Are you giving him Methylcobalamin for the neuropathy? That is the treatment and it works well. Depending upon the symptoms, there could be other things going on. Do you have recent bloodwork that you can share? Do you have a spreadsheet to share what kind of blood glucose numbers he’s getting.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Could he just be constipated?

4. Czak

Czak New Member

Thank-you for replying so fast. Yes my husband and I have been giving him Methyl B-12 since his diagnosis. So about a month and a half. I really haven't seen much of an improvement due to it. Yet. I have heard it can take 6 months before you works.

As for his blood work. When he was at vet about a month and a half ago they said everything looked good accept for a small amount of ketone in his urine. That is better now since the food change and insulin.
    It's just the struggling to releave himself that I'm concerned about. He still is passing everything, just struggling a bit. I can't figure out how to post a video in it just yet. Sorry for that.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Have you talked with your vet about this problem? I really think you should. It sounds like he should be seen. It’s definitely not normal to not be able stand in the litter box and I’m not convinced it’s diabetic neuropathy.