? Needle jargon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi
    Is there an article on the site please fhat will help me understand needle jargon ? if so could someone kindly send me the link as I couldn't find one.

I have just bought my first own box of needles as the ones I got from the vet run out in a week so I just got the exact same ones - they are relatively cheap though there are slightly cheaper ones out there but that way I could be sure I got the right thing.

What I didn't know until a helpful tip yesterday was that needles come in different lengths and maybe a shorter one maybe better with a wriggly cat (less chance of a fur shot)

So I wanted to understand what the numbers in the description on the syringe boxes refer to - it is
    U40 0.5ml 29G x 1/2" (0.33mm x 12.5mm)
    I get the U40 & 0.5ml and guess the rest could perhaps refer to the needle and\or syringe size - maybe width & length of the needle ? I thought 29G meant 29gram but have seen reference to gauge so don't know if that's it or what it means.
    Thank you
    Yours more than a little baffled
    Gill

2. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

29G means gauge - the higher the number, the thinner the needle. 1/2" and 12.5mm refer to the needle length. From that, I deduce that 29G = 0.33mm for the needle thickness. Although the needle seems a lot thinner than a third of a millimetre to me.

3. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks Anne.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

5. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Can I ask anyone who is willing to share the info what size gauge & length needle you are using \ find works best for your kitty in your experience please? Trying to get a general idea of preferences.

The Caninsulin ones appear to be the 29G x 1/2" (.33mm x 12.5mm) which is what the vet gave me non-brand ones of.so I've stayed with that so far & mainly cos I didn't realise other options exist.

Thanks

6. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

If it had been the IE100's Cloudy NPH Insulatard or the Sour PH 4,0 Lantus the earlier available BD 8 mm length and 31 gauge has been the least painful for mines to use.
    BD now also have 6 mm lenght and 31 gauge.

The Cats Subcutanous, Skin layer depth is very thin.
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/cat-owners/skin-disorders-of-cats/structure-of-the-skin-in-cats

You can see the many different syringes types here
    https://www.diabeticpromotions.com/insulin-supplies/syringes.html

I saw there is some manufacturer of changable needle tips as short as 4 mm.

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m on Lantus so I use U100 this is the one but I don’t think it’s available outside the US F1DF0547-4B78-4F04-9C5A-0F11783CC3AE.jpeg
    The length is 6mm as I mentioned on the other thread which is very short and works for us!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Look at the difference between 12 and 6 E62B8B2A-4611-425A-A441-3334FD350280.jpeg

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Perfect and succinct explanation from Anne. :cat:

In the UK all U40 insulin syringes are 29G and have similar needle lengths, 12 - 12.5mm.
    VetUK do generic ones, but the Sol-Vet ones are reported by some to be sharper and also to have clearer markings. (Then of course there are the brand name Caninsulin and Prozinc syringes, which are pricey by comparison...)

If you want to try a finer and shorter needle that would mean trying U100's with a conversion chart... (And in the UK that means BD U100 '+ demi' syringes.) ...I know it sounds a bit weird at first, but if you can get your head around the idea it can be a useful thing to do, and lots of people do use U40 insulins with U100 syringes...

U40 insulin has 40 units of insulin per ml. U100 insulin has 100 units of insulin per ml. So, the U100 insulin has 2.5 times the number of units per ml as the U40 does.
    That means that when measuring U40 insulin in a U100 syringe you multiply the dose you want by 2.5... So, one unit of U40 insulin will measure to the 2.5 unit mark in a U100 syringe.
    Here's the conversion chart if you'd like to take a peek to see how it works...
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

10. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks for that. That's quite a difference ! Almost looks like it would be too short but obviously not!

Gill

11. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks Elizabeth - that explains why I had not come across any sign of differing needle lengths when I was searching u40 syringes in the UK last weekend.
    You are right about the Sol-vet (which are the ones I use) having nice clear markings and I have found that really useful. And my finger can vouch for how sharp they are following a recent fur shot into my finger:(

I have looked at the conversion chart and it seems nice and clear but I think I will stick with the current syringes for now rather than sending the new box back to exchange for U100 to save adding another complication whilst it is all so new !

Gill :cat:

12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Ouch!!! :nailbiting:
    Totally understood. You have a lot to deal with at the moment. :bighug: ...But if you want to try a few U100s at some point just let me know and I can send you some of mine.

13. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thank you so much Elizabeth that is a very kind offer & I will certainly keep it in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.