Need some advice- Toes Journey (new member 2/20)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole - Toe's mom, Mar 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole - Toe's mom

Nicole - Toe's mom Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-2-10-2021-toes-journey-3.243505/#post-2752025

Hello, hello! So update with Toes.. His bottom canine broke this morning :( I feel terrible and the vet was called. I'm not able to get him into the vet until Monday afternoon so they can "look" at him.. They said as long as he's eating and acting fine, he should be ok to wait. (I pushed sooner because initially the appointment would be a week out...) I'm sure he will need extractions.. He has had a few done in the past.. Just wondering if this may be why his BG numbers are staying a bit high? Should I keep him at his current dose right now until he is checked out and a plan is made about his teeth? I have him strictly on the low carb food. I also started him on methly B12 for his Neuropathy, which is not severe. Just need some guidance. Thank you so much <3

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Broken tooth to raise his bgs?

My Simba, Gustav, Tjejen, Lillen, Itty, Nutte, Compete Horses, e.t.c have never had such osteo-somatic raising problems, despite injuries as broken-ruptured-of knee, broken off nails, e.t.c.

I know most in U.S and U.K then would say it's a general thing that raises everyone's bgs -

But it have never ever done that with mine. So.

And I did look in your Spreadsheet. That is a very nice looking spread sheet overall.

Nicole - Toe's mom likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Im sorry about the broken tooth.
    I think the reason for the higher numbers is because Toe needs more insulin. I am not sure why you reduced the dose to 0.5 on 2/22 but you should have stayed with 1 unit.
    With SLGS method you reduce the dose under 90.
    I would do a curve tomorrow and if Toe doesn’t drop low I would increase the dose to 1 unit.
    Do you have the Prozinc Dosing methods
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

4. Nicole - Toe's mom

Ok. I will do the curve today. So keep him at 0.75 this morning. Test every 2hrs. If he stays where he is at should I increase him to 1u tonight? And then hold for a week and the do another curve? Ty!

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes keep the dose at 0.75 U and do the curve. Then increase the dose either tonight or in the morning. Then hold the dose for a week unless he drops under 90.
    Good luck

6. Nicole - Toe's mom

Will do! Thanks so much :)

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

I see you've got some good advice from Bron about insulin dose.

Ow! Sore tooty pegs! :(

To answer your question, while there's no guarantee of it being the case for any particular cat, it is possible for BG to be elevated due to dental problems. Indeed, they are a common cause of diet-controlled feline diabetics falling out of remission. You only find out after the issue has been treated and numbers start to improve, though that is commonly the case, so keeping a bit closer of an eye on BG levels during the recovery period is recommended in case the insulin dose might need to be reduced.

If you haven't already discussed it with your vets, I'd suggest confirming that if Toes goes in for the extractions that they also clean his teeth while he's there (helps to address any ginigivitis present).

Sending some soothing cyberscritches for your little fella.

(((Toes)))

Mogs

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Reason for edit: Removed stray text included in error (didn't proof-read properly).
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In case you haven't seen it, there are dosing guidelines on the Prozinc forum.

Unless you see a spike in numbers given that the tooth just broke, I strongly suspect that Bron is correct -- the numbers are pretty consistent and suggest your kitty needs more insulin.

9. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thanks! I keep reading it over and over. Trying to absorb all the info.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thank you! I will definitely ask them to clean his teeth. He seems to be doing ok, despite his poor tooth.. :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Nicole - Toe's mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Deb & Wink @Critter Mom might have missed tagging some of you. Just was wondering if you can have a peek at my spreadsheet. I did do a curve day yesterday on the 1u. I do work the next 5 nights. Any suggestions? Hold the dose until I'm off again? Still seems to be mostly in the 200's with his AMPS running higher. I will be off for a week starting on the 17th of this month. Thanks a bunch! Off to get some shut eye!

EDIT TO ADD: I did find that one of the cats vomited on my bed.. not sure who or why... both cats ate this morning. :(

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I think Toe is going to need a dose increase soon.

13. Nicole - Toe's mom

That's what I was thinking as well.. I was hoping the 1u would be his sweet spot.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I agree w/ith Elise. I'm glad you increased.

15. Deb & Wink

Keeping all paws crossed here that the increased dose for Toe helps.

16. Nicole - Toe's mom

Quick question for you and @Deb & Wink if his numbers stay high with this increase, should I wait the week to increase again or 3 days (6 cycles) to increase? **am I correct with the wording and time frame for the cycles?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  17. Nicole - Toe's mom

Me too.. I'm hoping I didn't mess things up for him :(

As soon as I'm off work I will get more night time BG readings as well. There's been some missed areas lately. My body/mind is exhausted and I have been sleeping a ton more.. work and waking during the day to check on Toes has been tiring..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

How long you hold the dose depends on if. you're following SLGS or. using the more advanced instructions for Prozinc. You want to make sure that you give the dose enough time to work, hence the 3 - 6 day period for observing how effective the dose is. I know that I'm not giving you a direct answer but this is where knowing your cat comes into play.

19. Deb & Wink

I think what makes the dosing much more complicated is your 14 hour day work schedule and not being to get those nighttime tests when you are working nights. I know there isn’t anything you can do about working those long hours. So I think for you that following SLGS is the best dosing method you can use.

Having said that, you do need to try to increase the dose if the BG levels are running high.

Taking care of yourself is important too, and you don’t want to run yourself to exhaustion and get sick.

I think you need to give Toe more than 3 days (6 cycles) to adjust to the new dose.

20. Nicole - Toe's mom

Thanks! I am using the SLGS due to my crazy work schedule. I wouldn't want to be at work and have a hypo happen when I'm not home.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Nicole - Toe's mom

I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't want a hypo event to happen while I was at work.. I definitely am going to have to increase him to 1.5u though. He seems to be staying high. I have him scheduled for his tooth extractions mid/end of April. That was the earliest I could get him in.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.