? Need help with spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mazi's Mom, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Mazi's Mom

Mazi's Mom Member

Hello!

Could someone with experience analyzing spreadsheets take a look at Mazi's data for me please?

Sorry I'm only a month and a half into Mazi's diabetes diagnosis and still have a lot to learn.

I'm starting to notice that Mazi's peak time is changing. Mazi used to have his AM peak about +2 to +5 of his 1st half of his 12 hour cycle. However, the past couple days, I'm noticing he is now experiencing his peak in the second half of his cycle around +9.

My question is, is a change from a early peak to a late peak normal?

Also, my 2nd question is, any clue why he is experiencing higher glucose levels in the AM recently?

The only thing I changed was giving Mazi a late PM snack at pm +4 of a 1/4 can of Friskies pate so I can sleep at night and not worry about him going hypoglycemic. Based on previous feeding pattern from early this month, he is not sensitive to carbs and usually doesn't have a big glucose spike after eating. So I'm not sure why he's testing higher in the AM or why his peak switched from the early part of the cycle to the 2nd half of the cycle.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to view Mr. Mazi's spreadsheet and offering your thoughts!

Theresa and Mr. Mazi

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Wendy&Neko
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

For the amount of time Mazi has been on insulin, he's doing really well.:)

Nadirs can, and do change. It looks like his is about +5, plus or minus, and that hasn't changed on his good cycles. Bounce breaking cycles can mean later nadirs.

Higher BG in the AM is often as the result of going lower at night and bouncing. Trying to get a before bed test each and every night will tell you if that's what's happening.

4. Mazi's Mom

Mazi's Mom Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom and @Wendy&Neko thank you for your help!

Thanks Wendy for taking a look at Mazi's spreadsheet..We spoke about 5 nights ago and you had looked at his spreadsheet for me, because I was concerned due to Mazi dropping (what I consider low and scary bc this is all new to me) low on some checks during the AM cycle.

You did suggest I drop Mazi's dose from 0.5 to 0.25. The following day I did give him a 0.25 dose, but his numbers increased, which got me nervous because I didn't want to lose our progress, so I bumped him back to his 0.5 dose.

If I would have stuck to his 0.25 dose for a couple more days, would I have seen a more positive change? In other words, even though his numbers increased at first, if I would have held the dose over a couple more additional days, would they have went back to what they should be?

You also did suggest I do PM checks and snacks at night because I wasn't prior. Since then, I've been doing my PM checks at +3 & +4..But since it's the weekend, I will do my best to stay up later in hopes that if he is dropping low I'll catch it.

For the past few nights I have been giving Mazi 1/4 can of his friskies pate and a few Temptations treats at PM +3/+4 to prevent a hypo episode while I sleep, but maybe that isn't enough of a snack?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Mazi's Mom
    I'm sure Wendy will be back to answer your other questions, meantime can you add SLGS to your signature also :cat:

6. Mazi's Mom

Mazi's Mom Member

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you are following our dosing methods, and in general with Lantus, you will need to learn patience. Something most of us have problems with. :p When following SLGS, if kitty goes under 90, you reduce the dose by 0.25 units, and stay at that dose for 7 days, unless he goes under 90 again. Mazi probably was bouncing after the low numbers - which is extremely common.

Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

The guildelines in SLGS about reducing are for safety of your cat. Which is our number one consideration. It's possible you are missing numbers under 90 overnight and that he is currently overdosed. The PM +3 or +4 checks are good, but I see a few nights recently where they are missing.

Temptations aren't a great solution. They will give him a quick boost in numbers, but not a great solution. Leaving out food he can eat is better.

Mazi's Mom likes this.