Need advice, please, with Bouncing Beau’s dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sharon555, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Where to start? I’m just not sure what is going on with Beau. Until the end of December, he seemed to be doing fairly well on 2.75U. Then we had some higher than usual “bounces”, even one test in the 500s. As we started the new year, it was almost like a completely different cat between the daytime and night cycles. He seems to be all over the place. Is he bouncing? Or is his dose too low? But he’s still getting some greens at night until the last couple of days. I fear if we increase he’ll start going too low again at night. He has some cycles where he just drops the majority of the cycle. I am really at a loss right now. Do I need to be worried about him? All of those high tests scare me, but could this be a case where the highs actually mean his dose is too high? I am just at a loss as to what to do. I feel like I am doing something wrong. I really need some advice please.

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Sharon. I’ve thought about you and Beau several times over the holidays. I think it looks like Beau is a bit overdue for an increase. He is still quite a bouncy boy. You are doing so well with testing and putting the data on the sheet. Now, we may eventually find that Beau needs a slightly smaller dose at night, but he may surprise us. It’s not common to recommend a different dose for the p.m. cycle than the a.m. cycle, but in some cases it’s been for the best. Of course, it may just be that with certain evening preshot numbers, you may need to reduce slightly, but Beau may surprise us as well. He seems to keep himself out of lime green, doesn’t he? If Beau were my baby, I would go ahead with an increase of .25 units up to a 3 unit dose.

If you were overdosing Beau and he had been on this dose for such a long time, he would have gone into lime green.

Cats insulin needs do not always stay the same and will fluctuate over time. You can try the increase now and see how it goes. You are doing MPM, so I really do feel like we need to take a look at the doses every three days and if the nadirs aren’t in the target range of 50-90 then an increase or fattening of the dose should be done.

3. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Thank you so much for responding, Suzanne. I’ve been so rattled about Beau’s fluctuating numbers and have been worried about the toll it’s taking on my boy. I did wonder a few times, especially lately, about a different dose at night. He did drop many times into the 50s, but never into those lime numbers, which was a relief. Then those huge bounces during the day really scared me.

I’ll increase him to 3 units in the morning. Hopefully he’ll even out and we’ll lose those pinks. I’ll be more proactive about changing his dose if his nadirs aren’t green. I’ll keep a close eye on those evening preshots. Maybe I can find a cutoff where I know I should give him a skinny dose. Those green nights keep me awake because he has been so inconsistent.

I had read early on that if a cat doesn’t go into remission in the first 6 months, then he never will. That really concerns me. How true is that? I can’t even get him to have consistent numbers. I have lost a lot of sleep, worried constantly and shed many tears lately.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I feel awful about that, but I do understand how it all feels. We have had cats on this Board who have gone into remission after two years, so I don’t know what to say about that. Every cat is different and every cat has their own story, just like people. Let’s try to really work with Beau to see if he can get into better numbers and perhaps earn some reductions. That would be a start. You test a lot so I know you can keep him safe. I can see from your spreadsheet how much sleep you have lost!

Sharon555 likes this.
  5. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I will be very happy to get him back into good numbers. It’s so obvious how much better he feels when he is. And I know I need to remember that it isn’t a sprint for most of our babies, but a marathon. :D

6. Suzanne & Darcy

And it’s not like his numbers are awful. He still is seeing a lot of blue and a lot of people would be very happy with that. I think the pinks are just him being bouncy. But I do think we can at least try to get better numbers. Let’s see.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh boy, Sharon! You had a green today! I was just checking in on Beau and saw it. I'm excited about it!

8. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Beau was doing well on the dose increase to 3 units. Most of the green nadirs came at night, with only a few during the day. He also had some bounces which cleared pretty quickly. On 1/11 he had that PMPS of 68. I have felt pretty confident shooting in the 60s, but in hindsight I should have done a skinny or partial dose because he just kept going down. So, when he had the PMPS of 94, I fed him a little higher carb food. I was again surprised that he just went down. I double checked the 42 and it was the same. I went into panic mode, of course, and gave him some gravy from a 15 carb. He was up to 78 within 2 hours.
    I forgot to reduce his dose this morning, but I will tonight. He just seems to be somewhere between 2.75 and 3 units. After that huge bounce at AMPS, he is already down to 107 at +5.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I would feed some ten percent carbs now. If that doesn’t slow him down a bit, I would give a little MC.

Sharon555 likes this.
  10. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I will do that because his pattern most of the time at this point is to continue to go down until PMPS.
    Do you agree that the 3 units seems like just a bit too much? Even before that lime last night?

11. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

That definitely slowed him down. He’s up to 125. This has taught me something. He eats the savory centers because he is carb sensitive and they are less than 2 carbs. So when I try to stop a drop, I usually use something between 4 and 6, but it doesn’t seem to be very effective. Next time I’ll definitely go to a 9 or 10. That seemed to do the trick. Thank you.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

I think yesterday is an example of how he was breaking a bounce and was therefore trending downward all day toward PMPS, and then he had his PM shot and just kept going. And yes, if you have given the higher end low carb like 9-10 percent (but still considered lower carb) at +2 last night, or even gone with a little higher low carb for his evening meal (since he'd been trending downward all day) that could have slowed him enough to keep him from going lime.

Some days he's just not getting great duration (when he goes down and back up again pretty high in a single cycle) and other days I see he's clearing bounces and going down, down (those times you really need to feed his curve -- and some of that will be trial and error for you in experimenting with carb percentages, while still keeping things at 10 percent and under if possible. Of course, if he goes under 50, you need to get more aggressive with the carb, but you already know that. :)

As for the dose. I don't necessarily thing that the 3 units was "too much" for him. As long as you are not doing things like always feeding him HC food to keep him from going under 50 (which is not what you are doing) then I don't necessarily think 3 units is too much for Beau. His numbers overall on 3 units were better.

Sharon555 likes this.
  13. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I understand everything you’re saying. Had I tried to feed that drop sooner or with higher carbs, he would have, most likely not hit that lime. Even though it would mean a reduction, I was a little disappointed because, overall, he had been doing well at 3 units.

Do you recommend that I go ahead with the reduction back down to 2.75? Or should I stick with the 3 a while longer to see where it goes and be more attentive and proactive with feeding his drops? He’ll be ready for dinner and his shot in two hours from now.

Once again, as we noticed at 2.75 before the increase, he tends to have much better cycles at night. You even brought up the possibility that, at some point, his day and night dosages be different.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Here’s what the MPM dosing protocol says:

• If your cat is between six months to a year of diagnosis, look at the overall picture of your data to determine if a 0.25u reduction is warranted on a single number below 50.
      • Prozinc can be a little volatile at times, and there will be the occasional random drop. If you have a consistent body of mid-cycle tests that indicate the low number is unusual, you may consider holding the dose and continuing to monitor or you may choose to just shave a little off the dose.
      • If the low number appears to indicate a general downward trend of numbers, then it may indicate that you should indeed lower the dose.
      • If your cat is more than a year since diagnosis, a single number between 40-50 should not mean a full 0.25u reduction. You may shave a little off the next dose, or just hold the dose and continue to monitor.
      • Additional numbers between 40-50 in the days following would indicate the dose should be reduced.
      • Any cat, regardless of time since diagnosis should receive a reduction if there is a number below 40.

Sharon555 likes this.
  15. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

He is 8 months into his diagnosis. Given the protocol, I think that I will hold the current dose of 3. I’ll monitor him closely. We are a week into it and I think that the lime was unusual. I feel it could have been avoided, either with a skinny dose or a higher carb meal. I need to be more vigilant and aware of a downward trend before giving a full dose. If he drops low again, especially in the near future, I will take a reduction.

He really just seems to almost be between 2.75 and 3 units.

Would it be possible for you to check on us periodically and give input?

16. Suzanne & Darcy

I agree. That lime was an outlier. If he does it again then for safety sake you should reduce. I will check in on you guys! And don’t hesitate to prod me either. Write something on this thread or PM me.

Sharon555 likes this.
  17. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Thank you! I really value and appreciate your input. I know it feels like Beau and I have been at this for an eternity, but it’s been such a short time in the whole diabetic scheme.

18. Suzanne & Darcy

I see he had a blue PMPS this evening. I checked on his spreadsheet a couple of times today.

Sharon555 likes this.
  19. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Yes, he did. That made me happy. Thanks for checking. Also a blue AMPS. It was a good day. Much more balanced. The 58 was a little low, but came up with a 9 carb snack.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  20. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

But now a bit of a bounce at +2.

21. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s really helpful how you are writing down what you are feeding and when. It’s good to see that the 9 percent carb food did stabilize him and he verified gradually came up and it didn’t cause a huge spike in BG. Good cycle last night and I expect it to be good today. I was happy to see his AMPS today. :)

Sharon555 likes this.
  22. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I’m very pleased with last night, as well the start to today. I’ve realized that the 4 and 5 carb are high enough to prevent a further drop but don’t do much to raise his BG. In the beginning, those 4 and 5 carb pates were too high for his meals, but I may try again. One thing at a time, though. For now it’s managing those drops. :D

23. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m really happy to see these good cycles for Beau. It looks like 3 units is really a dose for him for right now, and you are managing it all with low carb food. You are doing an excellent job. How is Beau doing besides his numbers?

24. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I am happy also. He’s always had a couple of small meals during the day and between +3 and +4 PMPS. But they’ve always been his usual very low carb, about 1%, food. I am really able to see now the benefit of using the higher low carb meals to control his BG. It feels a little counter-intuitive to me to use food to slow and stop the drops. Like if I didn’t he would drop low enough for a reduction. But I know those big drops are hard on him and as long as I’m using low carb it’s good. Just feels weird.

The blue this morning was a pleasant sight. I fed him a 6 carb breakfast to 1) see how it affects him and 2) because I need to leave for about 4 hours this afternoon and I didn’t want him to drop too low while I’m gone. So I don’t know how much of that +2 380 is because of the food and how much is a bounce.

I can tell that Beau feels better during these recent cycles. He wants to snuggle more and is more active, playing with toys (as much as a 19-year-old cat will, that is) and rolling around in catnip. I’ve noticed he’s not eating quite as much at mealtime either. I’m assuming that’s due to his lower numbers and that he’s eating higher carb extra meals during the cycle, so he’s feeling full.

It feels good that I finally have some control. It took me awhile because I was afraid of the higher carb low foods since he’s always been carb sensitive. But, as I said, I’m convinced of their value. If he feels good, I feel good. :D

25. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

My poor sweet Beau Beau Boy! I feel like, in an attempt to avoid too low BGs in my nearly 5 hour absence, I sabotaged the good cycles he’s had. Because he had the low 134 AMPS, I was concerned he would drop low as he has the last few cycles while I was gone. So I gave him a 6 carb breakfast. I did not consider that he might also experience a bounce. He jumped to 380 at +2, then 402 at +3. When I returned and tested him at +9, he was still at 404. Maybe he dropped some then came back up, but I’m worried that he stayed so high all day. He must have felt awful!!

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Don’t be so hard on yourself!!! I do not believe that a simply 6 percent carb breakfast sent him from 138 to 380 in two hours. It’s just not the pattern of what we’ve seen when eau eats 6 percent carbs. It’s going to be okay!

Sharon555 likes this.
  27. Suzanne & Darcy

That is typical of lower numbers. He can now put more of his food to use and should not need to eat as much.
    There’s a big difference in using various low carb foods to help give smoother cycles and using HC to prevent a reduction. That’s not at all what we’re doing here. Every cat is different and some cats only need ultra LC while others do better with a few more carbs.

Sharon555 likes this.
  28. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

You do such a good job of explaining what’s going on. And keeping me calm. I get so scared when he bounces up, especially into red. I’m always worried about him. I hope we have a better cycle tonight and return to the good ones tomorrow.

29. Suzanne & Darcy

That is typical of lower numbers. He can now put more of his food to use and should not need to eat as much.

30. Suzanne & Darcy

31. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

32. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

That was very interesting! I have always tried to keep Beau’s carbs as low as possible, so started feeding him the Savory Feasts, which are 0 - 1 carbs. But there have definitely been times when he would go through a period of higher BG numbers and that confused me and didn’t make sense. This last week or so is the first time I have used 8 - 10 carbs mid-cycle to try to regulate him. I haven’t really seen it making him spike, but keeping him level or with slow rises. I’ve always been afraid that they would cause him to spike, which he did at the beginning of this journey when he ate the higher carbs. I’m going to try using this higher low carb flavors for his extra meals during the day instead of the savory feasts and see what happens.

Do you think today’s reds were a spike from the great low cycle yesterday? With the PMPS of 415, I’m thinking he was probably flatlined right around 400 all day while I was gone. I really hate when I have to leave him all day.

33. Suzanne & Darcy

I think he may be in a bit of a bounce from his great cycles. I do think it’s likely that he stayed in the red today.

Sharon555 likes this.
  34. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

We’ve recovered from that bounce :mad: thankfully.
    I do have a question I keep meaning to ask. What is too much of a drop? Today Beau went from 222 @+2 to 142 @+4. That’s a difference of 60. I know that’s a decent drop over one hour,but is that a big enough drop over 2 hours that I should have fed then instead of waiting until he hit 70 @+5.5? That was a drop of 70 (half) over 90 minutes. Maybe if I had started feeding the drop at +4 we would not now be at 58 @ +7? I want to avoid him going low enough to trigger a bounce, which seems to happen when he hits the 50s.
    I am really trying to “study” more what is happening and determining the cause.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  35. Suzanne & Darcy

I see you reduced him back down to 2.75 units

36. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I did. Day before yesterday was pretty crazy! I kept feeding and testing during the day. He did go up, slowly, and ended at 93 PMPS. When I went back and looked at the last two green PMPS I saw that he just kept going down, so I fed him a higher PM meal, some 8 and 9 carb, hoping that would keep him from dropping. He was at 100 at +1, but was already heading down at +2. I worked hard to keep him from dropping, but he ended going into the lime, 48, by +4. So I reduced him back to 2.75 units. It seems like the 3 units works for awhile, but he ends up in the lime eventually. I was hoping it would be a good place for him, but I guess not. He had a good day today after clearing the bounce with a nadir of 102. Hopefully I can keep him at 2.75.

37. Suzanne & Darcy

He certainly is a tough one. And so bouncy. With the lime only being a 48, I don’t know that I would have reduced his dose. It’s a judgment call. And it was the second time it had happened on 3 units. You possibly could have retested the same blood and gotten a 50 or more, but, if he was really difficult to bring up and if you had already been proactive with the feeding, which you were, I think it is a good idea to reduce for now and see how it goes after he stops bouncing (if you can catch that moment!). Some cats do go back and forth a lot between two doses like that. I would not hesitate to raise him back up to 3 units if the numbers warrant it; this could give him more time to acclimate to lower numbers. So he may stay there for a little while and then need a reduction again. Maybe one time the reduction will actually stick! Cats don’t always react the same way each time to a dose that they’ve been on before as insulin needs do change over time. For now, keep up the good work. I hope he’s still feeling snuggly.

Sharon555 likes this.
  38. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I really feel like we’ve almost hit that sweet spot, somewhere between 2.75 and 3 units. My tendency to be a bit OCD forces me to check those high and low numbers. When I retested after the 48, it was the same. A couple of cycles later, it did occur to me that I should have just held the 3 units. That was the longest he’d been at that dosage. He hasn’t had any greens yet at 2.75 and only a few blues, so I’m going to hold this dose for a few more days and see what happens. That morning cycle on the 23rd had me feeling hopeful, but it was shortlived. He’s still feeling snuggly, but not quite like he was with all of the greens.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  39. Suzanne & Darcy

Yep, I might have held the 3 units, but I wasn’t the one there on site to feed and test. I agree with holding a little longer to see if he needs to go back up. It’s good that he likes the greens.

Sharon555 likes this.
  40. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Maybe you were right and I should have held that dose of 3 units. Here we are about 10 days into the reduction to 2.75. Beau had a couple of good cycles and I was encouraged, but he’s mostly been all over the place. I’m feeling like I need to go back to 3. I think I’ve learned a lot about using the higher low carb foods to hold off drops and need to use them sooner. Please look over his recent SS when you get the opportunity and let me know what you think.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  41. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m not sure. Some of your nadirs are quite in a good low green place. I do see that he is bouncy, as we know. In some cases where he goes up quite a bit at the end of the cycle, it’s loss of duration. I would definitely try to not give snacks after nadir (I believe you already do this) and you might want to back off just a touch with the carbs mid cycle, but of course it depends on the numbers. So you can try to increase again to see if you can even do better; it would require aggressive monitoring. If he can get more and longer stretches in green that would be good. Who knows, you may bounce back and forth between the two doses. Cats don’t always behave the same way when going back to a previous dose. If he has a particularly low preshot number though, you may want to take a one-time dose reduction.

42. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

OK. I think I’ll hold it a few more days to see if we can get back into some green nadirs. If not, I’ll increase. I rarely give any snacks after +6 or +7, which is where his nadirs usually are. And, if so, it’s when his numbers have dropped. I’ll go with the 4 and 5 carbs instead of 9 and 10, unless we’re working with a drop. When he has those low preshots, I could do a .25 one time reduction? I’ve never done that and then end up combatting the lower numbers with food. I can’t believe I am still learning after 9 months. Is there a way to resolve a loss of duration? It seems to come more at the AMPS.

I have a question about the prozinc. I’m dealing with that and the shots for FIP for a foster. I’m so used to seeing the GS as perfectly clear. I roll the vial of prozinc before I draw the shot for Beau and never really look at it and can’t remember if it should be clear or slightly cloudy after rolling. I’m almost at the bottom of the vial (just below the label) and tonight noticed a layer of white at the bottom of the vial. It mixed after rolling. I’m feeling like I’m second guessing myself as to whether the insulin is usually a little cloudy or not. Is it bad because of that cloudy layer at the bottom? o_O

43. Suzanne & Darcy

I like that decision. I think it os what I would do with my own cat. He is getting good nadirs a lot of the time.
    As to the insulin,the Boehringer Ingelheim website says:
    One mixed, PROZINC suspension has a white, cloudy appearance. Clumps or visible white particles can form in insulin suspensions: do not use the product if clumps or visible white particles persist after gently rolling the vial.

So the cloudiness is okay as long as you don’t have particulates in there.

44. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Thank you!! I just sort of panicked slightly about the insulin. I feel much better now.

I do like the blue nadirs, which have been common at night. Green would be better, but I don’t get upset about the blues.

45. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

46. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I love that video! Beau is such a cutie. He was really happy. Do you supervise him when he goes outdoors?

Sharon555 likes this.
  47. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, so anyway, I woke up thinking about Beau this morning. Since you are going to hold the 2.75 dose for a few more days (which is a good idea,) see if you can back off the carbs just at a few strategic points to see if he will still surf in green. It’s such a tricky thing, and every cat truly is different. You are getting better and better at this. On the morning of 1/31 it looks like he didn’t need the 8 percent carbs at +2 a.m. cycle when he was in pink. But on the morning of 1/28, he may have needed a few more carbs at breakfast.

What is he eating for breakfast? If he starts out with an AMPS of about 200, it looks like it would be fine to go with a few more carbs.

Of course, every cycle cannot be taken in isolation. The feeding suggestions sound so simplistic, but all of this depends upon what he was doing before — is he trending down from previous numbers or has he moved higher from previous low numbers, etc.

48. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I’m happy you enjoyed the video. It really is am excellent depiction of what he is like on the healthy numbers. I love watching it. There is minimal supervision when my “big kitties” are on the deck. It’s massive, 10 x 60, with plenty of room to run. It’s also high, about 12’ on one end and 16’ on the other. They really have no desire to jump off. I am out there when the teenage fosters go out, however. Never quite sure what they will do.

I don’t recall why I gave Beau higher carbs on 1/31. That’s not like me, starting with a yellow and in pink at +2. I wonder if I posted it in the wrong row.

He has been eating the Savory Centers, which are between 1 and 2 carbs, for breakfast. I have noticed that, when he is at a very low 200 or in blue that he does not go up at +2, especially at night.
    I’ll start experimenting with higher carbs at breakfast on the days, maybe 4 or 5, to see what happens. I think I should also test at +1 at times to see if he starts down that soon.

Thank you for the suggestions!

49. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh well then, if you ay have written that on the wrong row, it doesn’t apply. He just seemed to jump up a bit on that day so I thought it must be the food.

50. Suzanne & Darcy

He is adorable. And good for you doing the FIP treatment. How far along are you with that cat? Did you say it was a foster cat?

51. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

It’s my second foster I’ve treated. The first, Oona, was adopted by a teacher friend after finishing her observation last January. She’s now over a year cured. Jasper was adopted, along with another kitten, at about 12 weeks old. The adopter found out he had FIP at about 5 months. She said she was not going to be able to deal with the treatment. We offered to take him back, treat him and return him for observation. She chose not to do that and surrendered him back to us. He has responded extremely well, gaining almost 2 1/2 pounds in a little over 7 weeks. We are on shot #53, with 31 days left.

52. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Just looking over Beau’s SS again, checking for trends. I now see that on 1/31, that those two higher carb snacks were after PMPS, not am, when he started dropping at +2 and +4. I’m not losing my mind after all. :)

53. Suzanne & Darcy

Good. I thought the first snack was AM cycle and the second one was PM cycle. I guess I didn’t understand the note.

Sharon555 likes this.
  54. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Good start to the day with a 152, which continued the PM drop. I chose to go with a 4C AM meal rather than a reduced shot. He’s had two snacks, one at +2.5 (4C) and +4 (8C). We’ll see how that works. Next time we’re in the same situation at AM, I’ll try 8 or 9C and see what happens. And, of course, when I’m anticipating going back up to 3U, he does this. I love my Beau boy, but sometimes he just makes me crazy. :confused:

55. Suzanne & Darcy

Wow. That is a great amps - a continuation of last night’s blue. The cats always know when we discuss dose increases ;)

Sharon555 likes this.
  56. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

They sure seem to know! I love blue pre shots. I just need to get better at managing them. Next time I’ll try a higher AM meal. We’re at 53 +5. Hoping he holds. And we know 50s and 60s make him bounce!

57. Suzanne & Darcy

Did you feed a spoonful or two of LC to see if he will surf in green?

Sharon555 likes this.
  58. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Yes, that’s what I’m doing. He’s had a couple of 8 and 9 carb snacks, which usually bring him up. I expect an increase at +6 test.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  59. Suzanne & Darcy

Paws crossed!

Sharon555 likes this.
  60. Suzanne & Darcy

He did it. Nice surf. Too bad he went up into blue. But very excellent so far. Now Beau, no more food until dinner time, and try not to bounce too high.

Sharon555 likes this.
  61. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

He did what he’s always done when I feed his low greens. You can see it on 1/28 and 1/29. I don’t like that he jumps so quickly into the blues because he’ll probably end up high for his PMPS. I need to find a way to prevent that from happening, keep him in the greens longer and still keep him from going below 50. I usually use 8 - 10 carbs to feed those lows. I’m thinking that if I start sooner or stick with the 4 - 6 carbs that it will keep him in greens longer and have a more gradual increase. And test at +1 when his pre shots are in the blue. But, it does look like, at least for now, 2.75 is where he should be. I just need to learn to work with it.
    And he definitely won’t get any more food until dinner time.

62. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. That’s what I’m talking about when I say try to back off the carbs a bit. I know it’s nerve wracking, but I would like to see if he will surf with just a few carbs for spoonsful when he’s in those greens. I’m afraid we sent him prematurely into blue today with just a few more carbs. We won’t know until we try. You are doing great, Sharon. It’s a pleasure working with you. We won’t know until we try.

Sharon555 likes this.
  63. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Yup! That’s what usually happens. I just cringe when I see that premature blue so soon after being green. I’m definitely going to try lower carbs and sooner, if possible. I need to figure out what works. I’d like to not increase his dosage. It just doesn’t last long when he’s at 3U before he starts to drop lower and lower. Thanks for keeping an eye on us.

64. Suzanne & Darcy

Exactly. That’s why I suggested that we try to manipulate the food before going back to the 3 units. You are amazing!

Sharon555 likes this.
  65. Suzanne & Darcy

Pink Beau today, but he usually gets back to business before long.

Sharon555 likes this.
  66. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

You’re right. He usually doesn’t stay there long. I was happy he had some yellow overnight and didn’t spend all night in pink. Now we wait for the blues and greens to return. :cool::D

67. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Well, even though Beau was pink most of yesterday, he came back down for some greens last night. I used 6 carbs instead of 9 to hold him there. It kept him from dropping more, but still took him into the blues 2 1/2 hours later. I fell asleep, darn it, without setting an alarm so I don’t know how long he stayed green. We’re starting the day in pink again. I think I need to feed when he drops 100 within two hours into blues, which I’m not doing. Maybe I’m waiting too long by waiting to see where he goes next. Then he ends up with another fairly large drop into green. Is a 100 drop within two hours too steep?

68. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I saw last night’s activity this morning when I checked his spreadsheet. A drop of 100 in 2 hours isn’t too steep necessarily, but a drop of 100in a single hour is definitely faster than we would like to see

Sharon555 likes this.
  69. Suzanne & Darcy

Having said that, you may want to try the 6 percent carbs at +2 when it looks like he’s going down nicely at +2 (in other words not a bounce cycle). Then when he goes green, you can try lower carbs like 4 percent or even lower to see if he will stay in green longer. He had a pretty decent cycle last night regardless! I’m sure he was in green for at least another hour and possibly longer.

70. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Thank you. I’ve often wondered about it. He can easily drop 100 over 2 hours, especially at night. I’ve never been sure how to respond to them.

71. Suzanne & Darcy

Last night’s cycle went well with the 6 percent dinner. Did you do the 1 percent savory centers this morning? Looks like tonight will be a good cycle?

Sharon555 likes this.
  72. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I was pleased with the result of using the 6%. And, yes, he had his usual 1% savory centers for breakfast. Also at +7 so I wouldn’t drive him up too high. It’s time for his PMPS. If he’s still in blue, I may try the 4% and see what happens. What do you think?

73. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope you did try it. I would love to see how it goes with such a similar number to last night’s.

Sharon555 likes this.
  74. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I did! I would also like to see where it takes him tonight. :) With your guidance, I’m finally getting the hang of this thing. It’s not easy or cut and dried, especially since ECID. I know there are many who ask the questions, but feel badly for those who don’t. It seems there is always something. That article about the carbs you suggested I read helped to open my eyes.

75. Suzanne & Darcy

You really are doing great. There are the basics, but then there are the subtleties that go beyond the basics and, yep, ECID. Some cats make it easy on their people and some cats just need a little more attention to detail. I feel badly about the people who don’t ask questions too. And for the people who start asking questions but then disappear on us. I always hope their kitties are okay.

Sharon555 likes this.
  76. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

So, we went with the 4% for dinner last night, which took us to 65 at +3 and +4. I panicked slightly and gave him a 6% snack at both 65s. He still jumped to 170 by +6. I wonder if I should have stuck with the 4% or even not given him more food when he was still 65 at +4. And we’re pink again today. I really wish I could figure out how to avoid the bounces. They truly stress me out.

77. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s okay. You did panic a little but only remember that 65 is a good safe number on your ReliOn meter. And 6 percent carbs isn’t really panic, now Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers or karo syrup would have been panic! Maybe the first 6 percent would have been enough. Or even 4 percent. Many cats will surf in green with a teaspoon LC each hour. Remember that if you’re uncomfortable about a number (especially early in the cycle like that) you don’t have to wait an hour to test again. You can ensure that they’re surfing and not continuing to drop by giving the food and wait 20-30 minutes to retest and see what’s going on. This way, if they are staying pretty stable you can feel calm about it — and if kitty is continuing to drop you will know that further intervention is necessary.

Sharon555 likes this.
  78. Suzanne & Darcy

Also, there’s only so much we can do to prevent bounces. We do help out with feeding the curve to try and prevent steep drops, but a lot of the rest of it is up to Beau’s body. His body panics when he gets in the lower numbers (even though he seems to feel good in them) and releases stored forms of sugar and hormones that all work together to raise blood sugar as a protective mechanism That part is out of our control, because we want him in those lower numbers and we keep putting him in that situation.

Sharon555 likes this.
  79. Suzanne & Darcy

And hooray for Beau. He broke that bounce last night! Some cats will take dys to come down from a bounce so I think he’s doing pretty well.

80. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope he will have a good AMPS this morning.

81. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

I was very happy with Beau’s cycle last night and getting over that bounce. He finally dropped at PMPS and continued the drop into the night. As you can see I watched him very carefully and the 3% at +6 was just enough to carry him through to this morning. His AMPS was 97!! I gave him a full dose and fed him 6% for breakfast. Fingers crossed for a good day.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  82. Suzanne & Darcy

I like it. He really seems to be one of those kitties who can surf well on their own with very little intervention. I was expecting the good AMPS, but I didn’t want to jinx it!

Sharon555 likes this.
  83. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Yes! I was pleasantly surprised. He didn’t jump too high at +2.5 this morning after the 6% breakfast. We’re at 175 and I’m hoping we can do a little surfing today. Maybe a 4% would have been even better.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  84. Suzanne & Darcy

Oops. A pink this morning. Yesterday was a good a.m. cycle and the it looks like he started a gradual ascent last night before going pink this morning. Let’s hope he wants to get back into lower numbers today.

Sharon555 likes this.
  85. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Sharon, I’m just checking in. How are you and Beau doing? With today’s flat yellow cycle that may be trending downward, you may see your nadir at PMPS tonight or at least late in the cycle.

86. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Happy Love Day, as my husband always called it.
    Beau has been doing pretty well, so that means Mama is, too. Not nearly as many pinks in the last week, which is good. He has felt really good the last several days with all of those blues and a smattering of green. The slightly downward and flat yellows are pretty consistently followed by some good cycles, so they make me happy. I would love to see a blue for PMPS. I think I’m getting better at anticipating where his cycles are going. I feel like he should stay at 2.75U to see if we can get more of those blue/green cycles. Or do you think we should increase him again?
    BTW, unless you see a notation, his meals and snacks/mid-cycle meals are always the 1% savory centers.

87. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Does those flat cycles tell us something about what the kitty body is doing?

88. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, the flat yellow cycles are frequently an indicator of an “active” cycle to come.

89. Suzanne & Darcy

I am thinking that, since you are following MPM, you could get nadirs that are a little more in line with our target nadirs. But he is bouncy — and he has sometimes been close to the nadirs we want. But with your new knowledge of how to work the different low carbs, hopefully it would be all right.

Sharon555 likes this.
  90. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Are you talking about increasing his dosage? If so, I do think I would be able to get better nadirs. And, as you say, I now better understand using the different low carbs.

I thought they maybe the flatlines meant his body was doing something in particular. Rather it’s more of an indicator of what is to come.

91. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Good morning and happy Monday!

So, here we are about 10 days into Beau’s increase to 3 units. Other than those first few lovely cycles, it looks much like it did when he was at 2.75. There are fewer pinks and more yellows and blues, but that’s it. There have been a few cycles that looked like he was going to drop into green, but he stayed in blue. I hate to do it, but it seems like he needs an increase to 3.25. What are your thoughts?

92. CORKY

CORKY Member

What is an active cycle to come??

93. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

Usually, with Beau, that has meant that he drops into lower numbers for a couple of cycles.

CORKY likes this.
  94. Suzanne & Darcy

Low numbers with a meed to monitor close low (which you and Sharon already do.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    CORKY likes this.
  95. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Sharon. It does seem to be Beau’s pattern that he does well at first with an increase but then he adjusts to the new dose and gets fewer low numbers. I would try the increase.

Sharon555 likes this.
  96. Suzanne & Darcy

Your ProZinc isn’t old or anything is it?

97. Sharon555

Sharon555 Member

No, it isn’t. In fact, I started a new bottle on 2/1.
    He did well back in Oct/Nov when he was 3.25. But he had a couple of tests of 47 and 48, so I reduced to 3 units. I think with the knowledge I now have about using the 3% to 5% carbs, and feeding the drops sooner, that those limes would have been avoided. I don’t like increasing, but if that’s what my boy needs …