Nature's Variety Raw Chicken recall

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karen and Flo, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

2. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Thanks Karen for posting that. It is too bad since it could turn a lot of people off to switching to raw, hopefully not. I always thought Nature's Variety was a good choice in feeding raw if you didn't want to make your own.

3. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

It's actually motivating me to bite the bullet and start making my own. I've been really happy with the NV raw organic chicken, but the last batch (5 bags) I bought was freezer burned. I think there's just too much of a chance for problems--sitting on a delivery truck for too long and maybe thawing and re-freezing. I dunno. I'm going to return these bags and stick to Wellness and EVO canned and research good chicken sources.

FYI: NV is on facebook, which is how I got the update so fast.

4. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Karen, try Feline's Pride if you want to do a gradual switch before making your own. Tigger loves FP and since he is an only cat it is not as pricey, but for multiple cats making your own would certainly be more economical.

Shipping with FP is done very carefully and they listen to complaints, if any. I usually order an extra ice pack in the summer months.

I must say I don't miss having to read labels and constantly switching between canned cat foods all the time because something or other was turning him off in the ingredients. My cupboard was full of food he turned his nose up at...I gave so much to Lynette's shelter one year and still have some left over.

It is nice to know exactly what is in what you are feeding them with Feline's Pride or when making your own.

5. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Hi Pamela. I've actually been in touch with the west coast rep. for Feline's Pride. I was waiting to go through all the NV that currently fills my (rather small) freezer. I always mixed the NV raw with canned--the weasels don't like it plain. As for canned food, I have definitely settled on Wellness grain free (chicken, turkey, and occasional turkey/salmon). They all love it, and I credit Wellness with getting Flo diet controlled 18+ months ago. The NV was a relatively new addition, as was EVO canned. I've never given them beef or lamb or any other hooved creature. They have had rabbit, but that didn't stick when I rescued one from a gas station and he liked to eat cat food (major ick).

That said, I may try FP once I get all my NV returned (I have like 7-8 bags I think, at $26 a pop!). This may all be moot though, as I'm considering a move to Israel, and will likely have to start at the beginning, which is my idea of :twisted:.

6. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

..I had to read that 3 times before I caught what you meant!

Isreal? Can you take your cats there? That's a big move - and yeah, I bet finding raw food will be impossible, but making it might not be to hard as long as you can find the suppliments.

7. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Yes, it was all a little too Donner party for my taste. Unfortunately Mr. Bill passed away over the summer, but rabbit is officially off the menu for good.

The move to Israel is still very much in the maybe stage. Cats will need an exam and recent rabies shots, but nothing major. I think taking 2 is easy, but more than 2 gets a little more complicated. Of course I have 3. The supplements will be the easy part, I imagine. Even if I can't find them there, I have family traveling between there and the US fairly often, so supplements are easy enough to transport. It's the raw chicken I'm concerned about finding. And a grinder. The one everyone uses here isn't an option there. And frankly, I'm so happy with how Flo is doing on Wellness canned, I'd rather just feed her that for the rest of her days, but I don't know if I'll be able to bring it into the country.

8. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

I don't understand? DO you mean you can not import the grinder, can't find it there, can't plug in with different wall sockets, can;t have it shipped there?

Just curious...thanks!

9. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

I will need a converter to use any appliance purchased here, and some may not work at all. So my best bet is to wait and buy a grinder there, just in case. As it stands, I may have trouble with my Cuisinart and my Kitchenaid, and it breaks my heart.... ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.