Mr Kitty - no cab for 1.5 months (oops)

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by FrostD, Oct 2, 2022.

1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Just posting this as a sort of "well that's interesting"...

Long story short, we had a pretty bad miscommunication about who was doing what while life got in the way. Realized today Mr Kitty hadn't had his cab in about 1.5 months (prior to that had been every other week).

I closed my eyes while waiting for the BG result...still in normal range (89) :eek: So interesting and odd how cabergoline works differently for each cat.

Additionally, there is an interaction between methimazole and cabergoline documented in humans that methimazole can lower the efficacy of cabergoline (no studies in cats). At least in our case, and in terms of BG, that seems to not be the case. We've since had to double the methimazole dose, had the oopsie, and still seems to be ok (no other noticeable evidence of acro effects/progression).

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Very interesting! I'm trying to remember if we've had any other hyperT acros on cabergoline.

How's Mr.Kitty doing otherwise?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

You mean he was only getting a dose every other week? Not every other day? Before the mixup with hubby, I mean?

Mr. Kitty is an amazing and unique cat.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

@Wendy&Neko doing very well, especially with all things considered!

Thyroid should be under control (next labs will tell). He's got some arthritis we'll probably discuss next visit, but he still gets the zoomies every night and can jump on/off the bed no problem. So far IBD/SCL seems to be under control from diet, so even though labs leaned more SCL perhaps it is indeed IBD.

@Suzanne & Darcy yes. The South American study had one cat with hypoglycemic numbers so they spread out the dose in his case. I had gotten a few tests in the 40s, so figured why not try it. We first halved it to 5mcg/kg EOD, and he did fine. Then we spread that out to once a week, then every other. Played with it a bit when starting methimazole, but ended up back to every other week.

Of course I can't know what's going on internally and acro can be very slow to progress, but as I said I've not noticed any acro-related issues/progression since changing the dose.

Suzanne & Darcy and Chrispooky12 like this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I knew if I let my mind work on it overnight I'd remember more. :p Chino was hyperT and started cabergoline. He started it August 2017, SS here. He didn't see much response in a couple months, so cab was tapered off. Might have been to early? Was it the hyperT meds (methimazole)? Dunno. Controlling hyperT better can also help with insulin resistance. His caregiver stopped posted end of that year, so other than the spreadsheet, hard to say how he did.

FrostD likes this.