Morgan's continuing saga......

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Damsel, Jan 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damsel

Damsel Member

Thought my old page was getting too long so it was time to start a new one!

It is now three days at 1 unit. I updated the spreadsheet; wanted to check in to see if you think the dose should stay the same for another day?

I was wondering if 1.25 units brought 102 & 119 readings; and 1 unit seems to not be enough insulin, what if I gave 1.25 units in the morning and 1 unit in the evening? Would that be an option to balance too low and too high numbers?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You could try 1.25 u AM and 1 u PM to see if it helps. It looks like 1 u isn't quite enough.

3. Damsel

Damsel Member

Ok. Thank you. I will start tomorrow.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Wow really low hypo last week!

5. Damsel

Damsel Member

Hi Janet; I see you are also feeding Young Again. Great results for C.C.!!

This morning's AMPS was 422 and somehow I gave a furshot!! I am fully expecting a high number tonight, so I'm considering giving 1.5 units tonight. Need to get him out of the 400's.

6. Kris & Teasel

Fur shots! We all do it on occasion. 1.5 u tonight could work.

Rachel likes this.
  7. Damsel

Damsel Member

Just thought I should check in for help/thoughts. Every new bottle of ProZinc has a big impact on Morgan; after chasing low numbers immediately following using a new bottle, this last bottle (started on January 30, 2017) seemed to get him stable; high, but stable. I was thrilled for his numbers to be in the middle and low 300's without drastic changes at .5 units. While in that cycle, I wanted to switch to U-100 syringes and use the conversion chart to micro dose him. Of course that all changed and his numbers are in the 400's again for preshots.
    My Vet has told me he doesn't know what to do for Morgan anymore. He did agree to my using the U-100 syringes for this U-40 insulin
    I am not losing hope; Morgan has lost weight, but still looks good; eats well and is happy.
    February 18th started week 4 of the new bottle. I'm considering ordering another new bottle of ProZinc.
    I was going to increase .2 units tonight - any thoughts/recommendations/advice?
    Thank you.

8. Kris & Teasel

The lows you see when starting a new bottle are puzzling if you're properly storing and handling the ProZinc - stored in fridge, mixed by rolling gently not shaking, etc. It's always wise to be cautious when starting a new bottle because there's sometimes a small dip in BGs with fresh insulin but it's not usually huge like this.

That aside, my opinion on looking at Morgan's SS is that his dose is too low. He's been in high numbers quite a while and probably has some insulin resistance built up. When his body tissues are constantly exposed to too much glucose they can lose responsiveness to insulin. The way around this is to carefully increase the dose at least every 3 or 4 cycles (day and a half to two days) in small increments. You have U100 syringes so you can increase by 0.2 u increments. If he's still in pink and red at a dose after 3 or 4 cycles, increase. Keep doing that until you start to get some yellow appearing more often and eventually, blue.

Are you doing urine testing for ketones? It's recommended because his BG has been high.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I would definitely increase. I think Kris is right on with her analysis and dose suggestions going forward.

10. Damsel

Damsel Member

The ProZinc is always stored in the refrigerator; it was only left out for a few hours one time and that was a with a different bottle.
    I gently roll and I definately do not shake the bottle. My Vet is baffled by the huge dip in his BG with every new bottle. Also, my Vet is still considering mixing insulins (cocktail) as a last resort. He brought this up a few months ago and now again last week.
    Morgan was been up to 7 units on Lantus (last year) and 5 units, briefly on ProZinc; overall, increasing the units doesn't change the numbers much.
    Using the U-100 Syring as previously suggested, I think by Sue, is one thing I haven't tried yet. I was waiting three days to up the dose, but I'll shorten that to 1-1/2 to 2 days and keep the increase at .2 units at a time.

Thank you!!!

11. Kris & Teasel

If you jump up too high in dose or too quickly it can trigger bouncing that puts BG in high numbers. If the overdose happens repeatedly, that bouncing state can become chronic and lead to insulin resistance. It worth trying the methodical dose increases.

12. Damsel

Damsel Member

That explains a lot. So insulin resistance can be the result of our procedure. When this journey began, we started with Lantus increasing by .5 and 1 unit at a time. By the time we got to 7 units, all his numbers were the same whether we increased or decreased the dose. Then, this Vet started Morgan on ProZinc and he started him at 3 units. March marks 2 years since diagnosis; not regulated yet, but........

Thanks again; I'll keep you posted.

13. Damsel

Damsel Member

It's been quite a while since we saw yellow. I'm thinking of holding the dose at 1.8 for another couple of cycles to see if the yellow comes back again. Looking for advice.

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would definitely increase. Maybe to 2 units on the first cycle you can monitor.

And I would continue to raise the dose every 6 cycles until you see better numbers.

15. Damsel

Damsel Member

I was hoping the micro dosing would curb the bounces and slowly acclimate his body to lower numbers. I'm kinda afraid that his body will still reject small but frequent increases.

16. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd go 2.5.

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd say it's time for a small increase too. I think you just gotta keep going up in small increments until you get better numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.