? Mocha Dosing Update & Questions

Anoud&Mocha

Member Since 2026
Mocha Previous Thread

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an update on Mocha and ask for your guidance on what we are seeing lately.

To recap: On Monday morning (Sept 21), her pre-shot BG was 208 mg/dL, and I gave her 0.5 U of Lantus. She experienced a very sharp, rapid drop down to 101 mg/dL within just 1 hour, requiring intervention with high-carb food and honey. Because of how sensitive she was to that dose, we have completely skipped all insulin doses (NS) since that Monday, and haven't given any insulin since.

Here are my main questions and concerns right now:

  1. Is Mocha on her way to remission ? Since stopping insulin on Monday, her blood glucose has been largely maintaining itself in the green and blue zones. Does this steady self-regulation indicate she might be entering remission?
  2. Why is her blood glucose dropping to these numbers (and sometimes scary lows like 50 or lower) without any insulin in her system?I keep seeing terrifying low readings on her Libre 3 sensor (sometimes hitting 50 or under), especially during late nights . How is this possible when she hasn't had any insulin for days?
  3. Should we be worried about true clinical hypoglycemia now, or are these sensor dips something else (like compression lows or normal feline pancreatic fluctuations)?

I would really appreciate your insights and interpretation of her recent logs. Thank you all so much for your continuous support 🙏
 
I am adding another update right now because this is what I am seeing on the sensor at this moment (67 mg/dL with a flat arrow). I am currently away from home, so I can't do an ear prick test right now to verify. But I honestly don't know what is happening with her—is this reading even accurate?!

IMG_9762.jpeg
 
He scared me with a sharp drop down to some new lows earlier today but we got some food in him and he's coming up now!! We have never spent THIS long in greens tho!
 
He scared me with a sharp drop down to some new lows earlier today but we got some food in him and he's coming up now!! We have never spent THIS long in greens tho!
Yay for the greens💚💚 It's so stressful when they drop like that but staying down there is definitely a milestone. I'm so glad he came back up and is doing well now
 
Yeah! It's fine when he drops down 100 when he starts at 300. Less so when he starts at 175!!
So true! It's totally different when they start higher versus a lower number. Mocha has been keeping me on my toes with her steep drops lately too, so I totally get the stress 🫂
 
I am adding another update right now because this is what I am seeing on the sensor at this moment (67 mg/dL with a flat arrow). I am currently away from home, so I can't do an ear prick test right now to verify. But I honestly don't know what is happening with her—is this reading even accurate?!

View attachment 80471

Sending my love to Mocha! 💓
Glad she is doing so well!

55 to 65 happens often with Mami Cat too (no drop), when she is sleeping or super relaxed. The protocol mentions 50 to 80 as "normal" ranges.

Hopefully you can cross-check it with the handheld meter, this way you can be sure. Sometimes Libre can play some tricks, especially after day 7 of use (at least in my case here). Most of the time, it is accurate, though - in general. But yes, each cat is different when it comes to Libre, too.

I give Mami something called Malte Paste (hairball paste) when her BG is too low, in case I get worried, just to raise her numbers a little bit (when LC food is not enough). Since it has Malte in it, it works well for that purpose too.
 
Sending my love to Mocha! 💓
Glad she is doing so well!

55 to 65 happens often with Mami Cat too (no drop), when she is sleeping or super relaxed. The protocol mentions 50 to 80 as "normal" ranges.

Hopefully you can cross-check it with the handheld meter, this way you can be sure. Sometimes Libre can play some tricks, especially after day 7 of use (at least in my case here). Most of the time, it is accurate, though - in general. But yes, each cat is different when it comes to Libre, too.

I give Mami something called Malte Paste (hairball paste) when her BG is too low, in case I get worried, just to raise her numbers a little bit (when LC food is not enough). Since it has Malte in it, it works well for that purpose too.
Thank you so much for always being so supportive and sharing your helpful tips! 🤍 Sending lots of love to you and Mami Cat.
 
Are you able to rest with a meter and an ear prick? The Libre often reads lower than an ear prick. Mocha is looking good but too much blue for a strong remission. You really are not following TR. Do you want to switch to SLGS if insulin is needed?
 
Are you able to rest with a meter and an ear prick? The Libre often reads lower than an ear prick. Mocha is looking good but too much blue for a strong remission. You really are not following TR. Do you want to switch to SLGS if insulin is needed?
Actually, her ear-prick readings have been mostly around 80 lately. 🤍

I understand what you mean about the blue numbers and TR. I’m just being very cautious with insulin because Mocha has shown a tendency to drop quite quickly even on 0.5U.

If she needs insulin again, I’m definitely open to discussing SLGS. Right now I’m mainly trying to understand what her numbers are doing without insulin and whether her body is starting to regulate them on its own.

Thank you for your advice 🤍
 
We reduce here in .25 increments. So if you choose to give insulin again you might try .25 or even 0.10 It looks like .5 was too much. It also appears her onset could be early but also I think bet her pancreas is working. So when you feed her the bg drops a lot. Would it be possible to give her a snack at +9. I bet the first test will drop a lot.
 
We reduce here in .25 increments. So if you choose to give insulin again you might try .25 or even 0.10 It looks like .5 was too much. It also appears her onset could be early but also I think bet her pancreas is working. So when you feed her the bg drops a lot. Would it be possible to give her a snack at +9. I bet the first test will drop a lot.
Just to make sure I understand—are you suggesting that Mocha still needs insulin?

Because we haven't given her any insulin since her last dose last Monday morning (about 7 days ago). Since then, her numbers have mostly hovered below 150, mostly staying between 120 and 80, and lately I’m seeing 80 much more often without any insulin at all. So I'd love to know what you think about that pattern
 
No. At this point I would continue as you are. I would give a snack at +9 as a working pancreas will bring the bg down two to three hours after eating. That might just get rid of the blues as high as 143 and keep her under 100. If was just saying IF insulin is needed .5 is too much.
 
Back
Top