Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toadflaxbex

toadflaxbex Member

Is it OK to give milk as a treat? He used to have 'dry' treats but now knocked that on the head, want to give him something to enjoy! IF it is OK whats better milk specifically for cats or our milk? Our milk as in cows milk lol Im not going to express or anything dancing_cat

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

They make a product called "Cat Sip" I'm sure there are others. A lot of the people feed bonito Flakes as treats. Cats seem to love them and they have a crunchy quality to them. They also dont mess with the BG readings. I'm sure you will get other suggestions...In the meantime this will bump your post up. :)
    jeanne

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Cows milk isn't good for cats.Something to do with the caesin in it.

You can try the cats milks that are on the market.Whiskas definitely does one.

Treats I used were pieces of freshly boiled chicken.Almost pure protein (ideal for an underweight cat) and negligible carbs.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Cats don't have the digestive enzyme to digest the lactose in cow's milk.

Catip is a milk product for cats with these ingredients: Lowfat milk, lactase enzyme, taurine. It looks ok for an occasional treat for a diabetic cat.

Whiskas Cat Milk contains Milk, Water, Nonfat Dry Milk, Malt Extract, Trisodium Phosphate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Guar Gum, Taurine, Carrageenan, Monoglycerides and Diglycerides, Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Citrate. I wouldn't feed it because the corn syrup will raise bgs.

Here is a list of low carb healthy treats: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172 Some are hard like dry food, like the Poultry Crispies from OnlyNaturalPet.com Others are soft and slightly crunchy.

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Cream or half and half...maybe a teaspoon as a treat or dessert.

6. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

Cow's milk is not recommended for adult cats, as many of them are lactose-intolerant, and have problems digesting it. However, If she's not throwing up or having diarrhea, she's probably okay with it. Some experts advise that cream is better than regular milk if you must give it to cats, probably because cream has less lactose than whole or skim milk. But again, if a small amount of skim milk seems to be okay for your kitty, I wouldn't worry about it. I've read some people give a small amount of yogurt as a treat.

Either way, it should probably be a rare treat and not a daily kind of thing.

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Heavy cream is better than milk because it has less lactose and fewer carbs. You can mix the cream with water if you want fewer calories or a thinner consistency.

If your cat likes dry treats, try any of the freeze dried meat/fish treats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.