Metacam

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathie, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathie

Kathie Member

The vet gave me 5 doses of Metacam to give Mr. B. over the next week. It really works, but I just read that it's deadly for cats. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

3. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

adding fact that it really does depend on the kind of pain they're in. it can be dangerous, especially to a cat with kidney issues. but for severe pain sometimes one is willing to risk that.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Carolyn and Latte has personal experience. Sad personal experience.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

again, it depends on what it is prescribed for, the dose, and the health of the cat. I don't think a blanket statement is sufficient information for one to base a decision on. My cat Squeak had to have it because of his extreme reaction to opiates...he tends to try and die if he gets them, so after a big dental extraction we decided to give him metacam.

Jennifer

6. Kathie

Kathie Member

Mr. B had metacam after dental extractions for stomatitis in July. He also had 2 cortisone shots which have worn off. He's having trouble eating so the vet gave him metacam again in lieu of another cortisone shot. I don't know which one is worse.

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Kathie, I have no advice for you, I just want to wish you the best of luck with the stomatitis. From what I have read, it is a difficult thing to treat, and very painful for the kitty. I hope the metacam helps.

8. Jen & Squeak

Well I would definitely ask why your vet didn't suggest another med, like buprenex or something else. If there are other options I would definitely use them before metacam. I can't comment on the steroids as I've no experience with stomatitis...but I can say that if steroids are warranted then use them because the alternative is worse.

Jen

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I have used Metacam for my cats - post dental and other surgery. Be careful with dosing and keep an eye out for bad reaction.

11. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Im very concerned that uour vet is giving both a nsaid (non steroidal anti immflamatory drug) in conjunction with a steroid. They should not be given together. Also, if you see any possible adverse reaction (not eating, vomiting, LB issues, drinking more/less) than you need to stop the nsaid immediately and re evaluate.

Im at work, typing on a phone...so cant be too lengthy. PLEASE look at the link in my signature and read through some of it. Also there is a link (sticky/announcement) from rebecca on nsaids...at the end of the article is an information sheet you really should read as you decide to continue the use of any nsaid (which is what metacam is)

12. Kathie

Kathie Member

Thanks everyone for your help. Is it possible that since he had no side effects (that I know of) in July when he had the metacam that he can safely take it now? The alternative is another cortispne shot. He's also on clindamycin.

13. Jen & Squeak

No, there is no way to know for sure whether it could affect your cat.

Why aren't there other options for pain meds?

14. Kathie

Kathie Member

Anyone know of any other pain/anti-inflammatory meds?

Kathie & Minkus (GA)

15. Jen & Squeak

As I posted earlier, I would ask your vet about what other options...this is standard discussion between my vet and myself anytime meds are involved. Off the top of my head, I'd ask generally first, and then about buprenex.

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The Stickily at the top of the Health Forum gives the new guidelines for NSAIDs use in cats. They discuss Metacam and other NSAIDs and give dose and other useful information.

17. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

I’ve been worried about that too. I gave Metacam to my other cat earlier this year before I joined this board (and read Carolyn’s story).

Gave him 10 drops a day mixed in wet food. I’m wondering if Metacam comes in different format.

He seemed OK but it made him very sleepy. The first time I gave his dose at supper, he slept all evening (actually he did seemed relieved – in no pain). He has arthrosis and had a torn ligament in his back knee…

When I told my vet it’s not approved for use for cats in Canada (that's written in the enclosed documentation)… she said it’s been approved for years in Europe, Canada is just slow!! I stopped gaving that to him after he vomited right after supper (that was part of the guidelines the vet tech. gave me). But I will probably not give that to him again if I can avoid it. Now I give him Glucosamine daily and he seems OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.