Meme x-rays result after tooth extraction

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rawia, Aug 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawia

rawia Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/update-meme-and-bossible-ckd.233675/#post-2616367

Hi everyone,

today i took Meme to the vet to X-ray her mouth and check her gum since she still feel pain after 2 month of teeth extraction.

No root or fragments found but the vet told me that her lower gum and little of her bone is infected.

she put her on Clindamycin 75mg for 7 days and it might take longer than this up to 14 days.

Her blood test showed some better level of BUn and Creatinine than befor.

Bun= 31 ( before 40)
    Creatinine= 2.4 ( before 2.7)

so i am little worry about the bone infection, this is scared me a little, what can cause this, it just happened suddenly, i just had her teeth cleand up last year and everything was ok.

is this something serious?

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I dont know but it DOES sound scary. Sending prayers its not too serious. :bighug:

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Meme :(.

I don't know what could have caused it either (must be related to the extracted teeth, but I have no idea how). I just hope the antibiotic takes care of it and she's feeling better soon.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Infections in the bone are serious but Clindamycin is generally a good antibiotic for dental infections.

They do usually need to be kept on the AB longer than usual though because it takes longer for the AB to get into the bone to kill off the bacteria. I'd keep her on it at least 14 days. You don't want to kill off the "easy to kill" bacteria and leave the more resistant bacteria behind by rushing it.

5. rawia

rawia Member

So it is a safe antibiotic ?

before x-rays they thought that is a simple infection and they gave her Convenia which did not do anything ant later i read somewhere that it is not a safe antibiotic :(

they gave it to her many times.

also i asked the vet if the infection is in the same place where they extracted the teeth but she said no it is at the end of her lower gum .

really do not know what cause that, her teeth was in a very good condition.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, Clindamycin is a safe AB for kitties and it's appropriate for dental infections.

Convenia is an AB that's usually given for skin infections...infections that are exposed to air (like a skin infection) take different types of AB's than infections that aren't exposed to air (like dental infections) It's no wonder it didn't help!

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Poor little girl I hope the antibiotic takes care of it ♥

8. rawia

rawia Member

She had her first tablet yesterday and it caused her a little soft stool today, as i read this medicine can cause diharrea, how can i manage this ?!
    I am giving her fortiFlora but i do not know if it would be enough.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

Thats what I use on a daily basis. Keeps her stool just right. I hope its all you need. Fingers and paws crossed.

10. Chris & China (GA)

FortiFlora, while advertised as a probiotic, really isn't a very good one (but it's a great "enhancer" for food when kitty isn't eating her dinner selection)

Any probiotic will work...If you can find one with lots of active cultures it's a case of "the more, the better". Renew Life is a commonly used one

If you can find one that contains s. boulardii, that's one of the best probiotics for diarrhea

11. rawia

rawia Member

I
    s it safe for cats?

this brand has a lot of choices? Which one to pick?

12. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, they're safe for cats.

For probitiocs with lactobacillus and bifidobacterium: therapeutic benefit is at higher doses, and should be a minimum of 10 billion CFU (colony forming units) twice a day. If you buy a 15 billion CFU probiotic like Renew Life, you can use just half a capsule 2x a day. These are not drugs with toxicity limits, and actual proper dosing is very cat-dependent. Some cats do better with 20 or 30 billion twice a day.

In the Renew Life brand, the "Everyday Probiotic" containing 15 billion live cultures is recommended (should also be available at WalMart)

13. rawia

rawia Member

Tha
    Thank you for the information

I started the antibiotics 4 days ago and everything was fine, soft stool was on the first day only , but yesterday she had bad vomitting ( three times and then she did not eat anything).

I took her to the vet and she gave her injection for the stomach and anti nausea, she said that we have to give another try for the Clindamycin because it is the best one for bone infection and if the vomit repeated in next days she will replace it.

what can i do to avoide these side effects ( she is on low dose 75mg) I thought everything will be fine.

actully i do not know if it is from the antibiotics or from the painkiller she had ,the vet prescribed Gabapentin as they only have Metacam and i do not want to use oral Metacam so they only have this alternative, I just gave it to her after two days of the Clindamycin.

amy suggestion to avoid the vomitting?

14. jt and trouble (GA)

15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

My civvie, Lúnasa is on a long course of antibiotics at the moment (UTI). She's being treated with amoxycillin but she also had GI diffuclties and was reluctant to eat due to nausea from the meds. I asked the vet for a prescription of ondansetron (dose she takes is 2mg twice a day, and she's a 4.5kg/10lb cat). Generic ondansetron is reasonably priced and available from human pharmacies if your vet doesn't stock it. (NB: The branded version of ondansetron, Zofran, is much more expensive.)

I found that if I feed Lúnasa, wait about half and hour and then give her the ondansetron and the kesium she has been able to eat OK. Maybe you could try giving MEME her antibiotic just after her meals it might help. (You probably would need to get the nausea under control first by giving the dose earlier than when the antibiotic is due so that she'll be able to eat OK.)

Mogs

16. rawia

rawia Member

Thank you , I will ask my vet about this medication.

I am giving her little bit of yougert with antibiotic as they said it can help but i feel that her tummy still upset from the sever vomitting she had and still spitting little food some time and licking her lips so As you said i need to control the nausea.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

I hope MEME feels better soon - for both your sakes. We can see how very worried you are for her.

(((Rawia and MEME)))

Mogs

18. rawia

rawia Member

Thank you very much for your help

I asked the vet about the Ondansetron and we have it in the human pharmacy only 4mg so she told me to give her only 1/4 daily.

should I give it before or after the antibiotics??!

I usually do as you said feed her and wait for half an hour then give her the Clindamycin

19. Critter Mom

Morning, Rawia. :)

From watching Lúnasa, it seems to take about 90 minutes for a dose of ondansetron to kick in when first starting treatment. Based on that, perhaps if you initially give Meme her first dose of ondansetron about an hour or so before her next main feed is due might be an idea. After Lúnasa had been taking her ondansetron for a couple of days (2mg BID) it seems to provide continuous anti-nausea cover over each 24-hour period, so I give it to her at the same time as she gets her antibiotic, about 30 minutes after she has eaten. Basically, you just find a routine that works for your own kitty. :)

Make sure Meme drinks immediately or eats a small amount of food after pilling to wash the tablet down. If you need to syringe a little water, make sure that you direct the flow of water from side to side of the mouth to protect against accidental aspiration.

Probably the best way to make sure a pill goes down properly is to give a teaspoon or two of wet food after administering the medication. If the cat's appetite is a bit off and may not want to eat right at that time it can be helpful to offer some water flavoured with chicken broth or some of the liquid from a tin of tuna in spring water (syringing water isn't exactly big fun).

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that the ondansetron will be a great help to Meme. If the 1mg dose doesn't quite do the trick I suggest going back to your vet and asking if you can modify the dose. (According to PetPlace, the usual ondansetron dose for cats is 0.11 mg per pound (0.22 mg/kg) every 8 to 12 hours.)

Quick question: I can't remember all of Meme's history. Does she have any problems with constipation?

Mogs

20. rawia

rawia Member

I will give it to her 1 hour before her antibiotic time.

yes, I usually use a syringe of water or yougert after i gave her the pill to make sure she swallowed it properly.

after her teeth extraction i noticed that she is not going to the bathroom everyday, and they told me it can be from the medication and anesthesia, then i used Fortiflora and it is great, it helped alot but now with the antibiotic it seems that it make her stool bit soft and if i stop it she might not go every day, but when i told the vet and she examined her she told me that she is not constipated.

If i did not give her Firtiflora she is going every two day or three sometimes whic i think it is not healthy but the vet said it is ok?!

21. rawia

rawia Member

I forgot to mention that meme is 3.5 kg, so you think 1/4 tablet of ondansetron is enough?

22. jt and trouble (GA)

I have sprinkled fortiflora on Zoes food for 2 years now. If anything when I stop she gets the runs. I use it as an appetite stimulant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.