Meet Razz

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CEJ, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEJ

CEJ Member

We are unsure Razz's age but we think 14 years. He is Male, neutered and lives alone with us. He has free range to go in and out and never met a litter box until he was diagnosed in October with DM. Typical story, got sick lost weight and I thought we were in for another round of Hepatatic Lipidosis which we almost lost him from about 6 years ago. Imagine our surprise when the vet said it was DM.

Vet prescribed Lantus, 2 units/day and dry DM which he responded well to in terms of outward appearance and appetite. But for weeks his BG never seemed to respond to the insulin and his numbers remained high. Of course massive water intake and all the rest for symptoms too.

That was until about 10 days,.. ago when he quit eating, became lethargic and I was within hours of taking back to the hospital. In desperation and not knowing better I gave him some wet FF Classic and he wolfed it down. He later went outside as usual and came in that evening with a much better disposition and Hungry so I gave him more FF Classic. In hindsight, I think he was constipated and he finally passed poop?

Anyway, his numbers came WAY down fast and I'm posting them here for advice because they have been so low at AMPS and sometimes PMPS that I've decided not to shoot for fear of a hypo.

Anyone help me here?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can certainly help. :)

The drop in BG numbers is most likely because of the food change. What Razz likes to eat is exactly what A diabetic cat should eat - wet low carb, high protein food. There are very few kibbles that qualify and dry DM isn't one of them.

Are you still giving 2 units of Lantus twice a day? If so, that dose is probably too high with the food change. I assume you're home testing his BG because you mention that his numbers have been low.

You'll get more eyes on your post if you move it to the main health forum. Ask any questions you have.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

CEJ has posted in the Lantus forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...s-64-5-146-7-148-10-181-pmps-208-3-51.169900/

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. CEJ

CEJ Member

Thank you all...

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Looks a bit like a kitty packing his suitcase ready for a trip to the Falls! :) Be sure to update us if he goes OTJ (fingers and paws crossed).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.