Mango's latest BG curve where will his dosage go?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marianne M, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Good morning everyone. We did another BG curve yesterday since we increased the dosage of Prozinc from 2.75 units to 3.75 units. He did not get any in-between meals yesterday for testing even though he bugged me for food. He did get a bedtime snack last night. Mango was started on the Prozinc on 6/16/2019 after switching vets. He was on Vensulin on his diagnosis 5/17/2019. It was a surprised that his BG was at 253 for his curve testing yesterday as two days prior he was at 505 for his AMPS. I am waiting for our Vet to call with what he has to say. Mango is feeling good, not bugging me for additional feedings today (maybe because he didn't get any yesterday?), he is getting water added to his wet food and eating well. He goes outside sometime during the night (we have a pet door) and comes running hoping the fence when I call him at 5:45 am. I want to see Mango get into the green numbers that we rarely see. With the experience of this board I would like to know what you think. Should the dosage go up again? Thanks to all that read this post and to all that give your welcomed advice. It is so appreciated by me and Mango as I am still learning the in's and out's of being a sugar mama. :):cat: :rb_icon:

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Marianne-

That was a nice curve. First, I would recommend reading carefully through the yellow "Sticky" posts at the top of the Prozinc forum. They will explain how we approach dose changes and dosing decisions for Prozinc, and that will help to answer some of your questions.

As for the eating patterns, we generally recommend letting cats eat during the day - spreading their food out into several smaller meals, or putting down their food and letting them graze (if you have a cat who will do that and not just scarf it all down at once). Even during a curve, snacks are fine, as long as they are following the normal eating pattern. Only feeding twice/day can be hard on a diabetic and spreading the food out can help with stabilizing the BG.

Controlling diabetes in an outdoor cat is difficult at best since you can't be sure he isn't sneaking high carb food off someone's back porch, or out of a trash pile somewhere. Any high carb foods will keep the numbers elevated and make it hard to regulate into healthier numbers. If you can start to transition him to staying indoors at night, it could really help. I know that can be super difficult as I had to do it with my cat, and it meant many nights of listening to him "singing" at the top of his little lungs to go outside. :rolleyes:

3. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Thank you Djamila for your words of wisdom. My little fellow will also "sing" at the top of his lungs to go outside as well. Yesterday evening after our 6 pm dinner Mango went outside the first time in months. I watched him in the front yard. Now he just had dinner. I watched him catch two lizards and proceed to make them his dessert. Since we don't have neighbors that leave pet food out so Mango catches his own high protein meal! :eek: Last night he came back in after his catch a meal as it rained and them cried to go back outside around 9 pm. He hasn't done that in months as that was his normal behavior before the diabetes diagnoses. So we let him out, and he was back on the sunporch for his 6 am test, feed and shoot schedule. Love that Mango know the routine and sticks with it. Could not love this kitty more than I do. We are a team! :):cat: