Managing non insulin dependent diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simone & Stanley, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simone & Stanley

Simone & Stanley New Member

Hi all,

My cat Stan has been off the juice now since May which has been great but he is still always so hungry and most recently we have noticed that his BG has been spiking above 10 (we use a SD code free). It doesn't stay there for long but I'm not sure what could be doing this.

Has anyone else experienced this with their non insulin dependent diabetic cats?

This is the link to Stan's spreadsheet

https://drive.google.com/file/d/109rS_RoxeLLNBGZzOM5DpkHmMbONDhIk/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks
    Simone

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hi Simone,

The link you provided isn't working, the spreadsheet link in your signature does but if I'm reading right it only shows testing up until March. Could you help me out with that?

Most of the time a cat in remission with increasing numbers needs a dental or has an infection.

3. Simone & Stanley

Hi

Thanks for your message does this link work?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/109rS_RoxeLLNBGZzOM5DpkHmMbONDhIk/view?usp=drivesdk

We haven't been doing his BG as often as we should but that will all change starting tomorrow.

He doesn't appear to have an infection and recently went to the vet and it wasn't picked up there so it could possibly be his teeth. Do know if that would account for sudden spikes? I'll find out more and have a chat with the vet.

Thank you

Simone

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

It sort of does, I think I can see the more recent numbers now. They seem to be spiking here and there but not consistently - at least as far as you've recorded. I would start checking AM and PM again to keep an eye on it.

I see in your notes he's getting into dry food? I don't think you have low-carb dry food available in the UK correct?
    What food does he eat? If it's not low-carb that will knock him out of remission as well.

You could always get a fructosamine done but the numbers you have available still look good, so I would be inclined to ask about his teeth and if he's sick any. It's usually the teeth though.

5. Simone & Stanley

Thank you so much for looking at this I really appreciate it.

I think you must be right about the teeth I can't think of anything else.

He does still have some diabetic biscuits and that was working for him, but I think we need to consider taking him off those. He did get into his brothers biscuits, even though it's an electronic feeder but we've put a stop to that.

I will do a curve with him tomorrow and we will go back to testing before meals.

Thanks again for the advice. Simone

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I would - none of the "diabetic" dry food here in the US is under 10% so it's still not appropriate to feed. Cut out the biscuits and check the teeth, then fingers crossed!
    Let us know if you find out anything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.