Making the switch from Cainsulin to Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Douglas_my ginger cat, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi all!

Was wondering if there are any kitties out there who made a switch from Cainsulin to Prozinc? How was that journey for you and your sugar cat? (I say Prozinc, as I believe this is the next insulin vets will try?)

I am going to speak to my vet as Douglas has seemed to have had no change in his BG levels since increasing his dose slowly from 0.5IU to 1.25IU over the last two weeks.

Any advice/knowledge/experience would be greatly appreciated before speaking to the vet :D

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Can't say I remember much diving from Caninsulin to Prozinc - I was still a wee newbie not fully understanding how harsh the previous could be. I remember we had a fabulous first day though - first time we ever hit blues! I had a couple of experienced members watching the first day with me. She was also being overdosed (we went from 4u of Caninsulin down to 2u on Prozinc at the cautious suggestion of the board) so that made a big difference, but normal circumstances I believe there usually isn't a big change or learning curve. :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I did that switch. I'd start on whatever your current dose is and go from there. Hopefully you will find it lasts longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.