Lower preshot numbers at night

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by NancyJH, Aug 2, 2020.

1. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I’ve been basing my shots on the nadir and have been going from a little below 1.5 units to a little above 1.5 units. There have been a few times lately that my evening preshot numbers are lower or close to the 4-1/2 hours past my morning insulin. I thought the curve was that it rose again higher than at the nadir. Is there a reason for this? Thanks

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Curves don't always conform to that nice gentle smile shape. Sometimes, they are a bit crooked, like teeth, rising and falling in unexpected places in the 12 hour cycle.

Also, constantly changing the dose each cycle, based on the nadir for the previous cycle, with fattening or skinnying the dose doesn't seem to be helping. What you are using is a "sliding scale", with only very minute adjustments. As the protocols say, that rarely works.

I actually think that Lenny needs a bit more insulin, than the 1.5U dose. I think a full 0.25U increase needs to be done. So back to the 1.75U dose would be my recommendation.

Also, don't assume that the +4 to +4.5 test time in the AM (or the PM) is the actual nadir time. That can change from cycle to cycle.
    So please do some tests after that time also, to help "flesh out" the SS. Maybe a +5 +11 one cycle, a +6 or +7 or +10 another cycle.

Sometimes, you need to make adjustments up and down in the dose, when the BG numbers tell you those changes need to be made. Not enough greens on the SS to say that the 1.5U (fat or skinny or straight up) is enough insulin.