lower dose at night

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Pabs&Ro, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

Hi, I think I have read somewhere about having a lower dose at night than during the day. I wanted to re-read it but cannot find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I believe what you are referring to is lower BG numbers at night. It isn’t usually recommended to give a different dose of insulin AM and PM

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Are you referring to sliding scale?

I've tried my own kind of dosing with different units at am and pm. It worked shortly, and my cat bounced less but its not recommended. I only went for it because I had @Deb & Wink looking over my shoulder all the time :rolleyes:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

There is a little bit of information about using a sliding scale with Prozinc, in the dosing guidelines sticky.

Sticky PROZINC DOSING METHODS

It can get really cumbersome to have multiple years on your SS. We recommend creating a new tab for each year. Here is the link to the thread about doing that.
    ***2021 SPREADSHEETS—PLEASE READ and Keep Bumped***

I think your cat may be overdosed. But it's hard to tell, without consistent preshots. The pre-shots let you know if it's safe to give your cat insulin, but those pre-shot tests also put all subsequent BG tests in a 12 hour cycle into perspective. It's why it's important to get those pre-shot tests every cycle.

Shelley & Jess and SashaV like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Why would you think he needs a lower dose at night? The +3 numbers look about the same. Can you get an am preshot number?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

The reason is because his drinking is off the scale in the morning causing vomiting but we do not have this at any other time of the day. I am going to try another libra sensor because we can't get shots in the morning because he is out from 4am and his ears are just too cold to get any blood.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I think you meant you could not get a BG test in the morning, because the ears are cold and the blood doesn't flow as well.

Don't forget to try the ear warming trick. Take an old sock, fill the toe with rice or dried beans or lentils or what have you. Heat the sock in the microwave for a little bit. Apply the sock to his ear to warm it up and get the blood flowing.

Or cup your hands around his ears to warm them up. Or rub them with your warm fingers. Or snuggle with your boy under the blankets for a bit to warm him up.