Low numbers. Change dosage? Skip shot?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ElizabethEllingson, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ElizabethEllingson

ElizabethEllingson New Member

Zorro was at 160 and 141 (tested same blood sample twice) 5 hours ago. I have him half a can of food while checking BG. 2hrs larger he was still at 160. He usually gets 2u twice daily but with those numbers, what should I do? Should I keep waiting for them to raise or lowest the dosage and shoot? Or shoot the normal 2u?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm a little confused. Was this post at your shot time and you were not sure whether to give the shot? Or, is your next shot still upcoming and you are just trying to plan ahead?

You said he was 160 5 hours ago. How many hours after his last insulin shot was that? I see that he was the same 2 hours later, but again, I have no idea when that was/is in relation to his insulin shot.

It would be very helpful if you could set up one of the spreadsheets we use and put a link to it in your signature so we have access to your test data whenever you ask for assistance. It really is necessary for us to be able to give you any kind of informed advice/assistance. Please help us help you!!!

I have no idea how his numbers have been, how he has responded to the insulin and on what pre-shot glucose levels it has been given. So, it would not be safe for me to recommend that you give him anything if it is shot time and he is 160. It appears that you are pretty new to this, and when you are, it is recommended that you skip when the pre-shot is that low. Once you have some data and an idea of his insulin response, you are better able to determine the right course of action.

Tina and Gracie (GA) likes this.
  3. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

If you need help setting up your SS we can help. I know it can be a hassle, but it provides us information to help you better. We can see patterns. It also helps you, as you can go back and reference anything.

Once you get it set up there is an “app“ (For free). This will allow you to input numbers more easily.