Lipase SpefFPl testing in the UK? should I bother?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hercule's mum, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Hercules switched to feringa wet can food when diagnosed against vet best wishes (vet would like him to eat Hills prescription), and recently he switched to Lantus (again not what the vet would have preferred). Vet has been supportive, but asked me to bring him in to check his Lipase "given the switch in insulin" and her worry about his "food being too high protein".

I have argued that most of the time he has no symptoms, and his numbers are clearly much better on Lantus. BUT.... every now and then he does do the "loaf" sitting, or goes off his food, he also sometimes dry wretch when offered his dry treats (even though he eats). So, it is quite possible that he has pancreatitis flare ups? also vet is noce, and I don't want to upset her for no reason...

However, it seems like even if diagnosed, he only will be treated for symptoms (which are none, or mild).

My question is:

1) Do I learn something useful by testing him for lipase? which is what is being offered?
    2) Can we do SpecfPL in the Uk? and would that be worth?

Many thanks for your comments

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Karen,
    My diabetic girl, Bonbon, had the SpecfPL test as one of a number of tests when she came out of remission last October. The results of that test suggested 'mild pancreatitis'. Her only 'symptom' was her coming out of remission and having a fair degree of insulin resistance.

Although Bonbon didn't 'seem' uncomfortable the vet suggested we 'assume' she may be more uncomfortable than her presenting symptoms indicated (cats being good at hiding discomfort). She was put on Cerenia for a couple of weeks to ease any nausea and to, as my vet put it, "soothe the digestive tract". I was also given Bupe to give to her should her symptoms show any sign of worsening (they haven't so far... (anti-jinx!)).

The test was worth doing because it gave us information we didn't have before; and that information enabled us to (hopefully) address any discomfort.
    We're going to have the test repeated soon.

I'm tagging Mogs @Critter Mom, because she has way more experience of this stuff than I do.

Eliz

Hercule's mum likes this.
  3. Hercule's mum

Thanks Eliz, so I guess there must be labs here that can do the SpecfPL. I read on a sticky that needed to go to university of texas, so was worry it was either not possible or too expensive.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Yep, from the info below there would seem to be 3 Indexx reference labs in the UK:
    https://www.idexx.co.uk/en-gb/veterinary/reference-laboratories/

Just checked my invoice, and I had the SpecfPL test done as an 'Add-on' with a couple of other tests. The SpecfPL cost about £55.

Eliz

5. Hercule's mum

oh, Thank you Eliz! I wanted to ask how much it costed, but was shy....

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Testing for lipase as part of a routine blood panel is not a reliable marker for pancreatitis. There is both a Spec fPL and a Snap fPL. The Spec fPL is sent out to a lab to interpret the blood results. The Snap fPL is done in the office and give a "+" or "-" result.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

To the best of my understanding (which is not perfect - always keen to learn more!) a high protein diet is more likely to affect the BUN value.

Any UK vet should be able to offer the Spec FPL test (in theory, certainly). Samples are sent out to an IDEXX UK lab for processing. If they offer SNAP fPL tests, they're done on the spot by the vet but the results are qualitative, not quantative, and may be indeterminate.

With chronic pancreatitis, level of discomfort can fluctuate from day to day. A marked increase in symptom severity - e.g. increase in nausea behaviours, meatloafing, diarrhoea, vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, hiding, upward trend/marked elevation of BG levels, back pain - may be indicative of a significant flare in progress. Getting supportive treatments in place may help it subside faster. However, the above clinical signs are not individually exclusive to pancreatitis so doing a Spec fPL test may help with differential diagnosis and also inform treatment choices.

BTW, not sure whether this might be of any help to you, Karen, but I've found that when I gave my cats freeze-dried protein treats on a really empty stomach it made them vomit. They seemed to do better on a very small amount of minced plain poached chicken with lots of the poaching broth to drink, usually with an ad hoc dose of famotidine to help counter excess stomach acid. That seemed to settle the tum a little and help them eat later. A little slippery elm syrup can also help soothe the GI tract at such times (if the cat will take it), but any meds should be given an hour or so later because SEB may interfere with their absorption.

Mogs

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.