Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi, I remember seeing a few people on previous posts mention about their kitty cat licking their lips more frequently. I can't remember if this is a good or bad thing and what it means and can't find the old posts.

Any help please :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Lip licking is a sign of nauseousness, or just generally not feeling well.

Douglas_my ginger cat and Panic like this.
  3. Douglas_my ginger cat

Is there anything I can do or give Douglas to help with nauseousness?

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Good question... Hmmm lets see... @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie I think has experience with this as others do ...Her name was the first that popped into my mind.

Douglas_my ginger cat likes this.
  5. Maddie Mouse

Maddie Mouse Member

Just before Maddie started on insulin she often did the lip-smacking-nausea thing when presented with food. The licking is often accompanied by a jerk of their head to one side and/or working their jaw as if there's something caught in their mouth. Once you've seen it a couple of times, it's easy to tell from the "my tongue's so long I can lick my entire face!" thing they do after yummy <insert favourite food>.

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Is Douglas not eating? Normally ondanestron (zofran) or Cerenia are given for nausea. Not sure if that's the same in the UK though!

7. Douglas_my ginger cat

He's eating fine at the moment so maybe I am just over reacting.
    There was part of me that was thinking I could give something to settle his stomach, like I would drink a chamomile tea:D

I think he was just grooming his face and an overreaction from my part. I think I was a little worried as his AMPS was higher this morning than last couple of days

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Well now you know for when it's real! :D

9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Kicking lips can be a sign of nausea as can becoming inappetent. I didn’t know this and learned the hard way. So if it continues and the appetite tanks call your vet. There are really good medications for that, cerenia preferred by most vets, and the human drug, ondansetron (zofran).

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.