Lancing from back of ear?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jacques and Pumpkin, Feb 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacques and Pumpkin

Jacques and Pumpkin Member

Does anyone have experience lancing from the back of the ear? Pumpkin is very sensitive about her ears (I pretty much never handle them, although I'm trying to introduce some light stroking when she snuggles up against me for a nap). I need to be able to get in and get out quickly with as little manipulation as possible if I have a hope of consistently poking her before she gets too upset to handle.

My first success involved a poke from the back of the ear, but I've also had two failures where I drew blood but not enough. I'm simply unable to milk her ear. It upsets her even more the initial lancing does and I lose any possibility of control.

So, any thoughts on making lancing from the back work, or whether it's even worth trying would be helpful! I'm up for try lancing from the back then sampling from the back, lancing from the back then sampling from the front, or whatever else is most likely to work without too much manipulation.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you say lancing from the back…what do you call the back of the ear….the inside of the ear or the outside where the hair is?

3. Jacques and Pumpkin

Thanks for asking! Still aiming for the sweet spot, but I’m at the cat’s tail and I’m aiming the lancet towards its nose, with the ear in its natural position. So I think that’s what you’d call the outside of the ear.

4. Nava&Boris

Nava&Boris Member

Hi,
    I'm also lancing from the back and sampling from the back when Im checking Boris. For almost a year he wouldn't let me near his ears at all. Now, I still have to bribe him with chicken breast otherwise I can't get him to cooperate. He also hates it when I try to warm his ear with my fingers and stuff like that so i hardly do it. I use 28 gauge lancets ('everpaw' from amazon, for cats and dogs), since thinner lancets didn't produce blood at all. If the weather is cooler (and therefore also his ears) I just have to hold onto him longer and wait for a sufficient drop, sometimes poking him twice in almost the same spot helps... then you can pick up the two little blood drops with the strip and together they are enough for a reading.
    If Pumpkin is food motivated (like Boris), I would recommend trying to get her used to testing with some type of edible compensation, and not using a strategy of 'surprising' her (although it can work in the short run).

5. Jacques and Pumpkin

Thanks! I’m definitely finding that warming is just wearing out Punpkin’s very limited ear patience, so I’ve also been skipping it.

One thing I’m noticing is that it’s less the poking and more the handling that’s the problem. The quicker I can make it, the better it goes. I’ve found getting the cotton ball in place to be kind of awkward. It tweaks more of her ear hairs and makes me take longer. I’m wondering if a thimble or something would work better. A bit concerned about blunting the needle before it comes out though. Maybe a rubber or leather one….

I’m interested in hearing more about the pitfalls of “surprise” tests for you and your cat.

Nava&Boris likes this.
  6. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

I also found that 2 quick pokes in rapid succession worked well for me.
    That sounds like a great idea, the rubber or leather thimble! we had trouble with the cottonball tickling his inside ear hairs, so we would apply a thick fabric finger bandage to protect our fingertip (one less thing to handle) and after test use a small bit of gauze pad (cut into small squares) to apply pressure. ( Bandaids can be a bit expensive though, your idea is great!) :p

7. Nava&Boris

Nava&Boris Member

I never used a cotton ball or anything else to protect my finger....Boris wouldn't allow any foreign objects near his ears. I did get a little pierced occasionally by the needle but now that he is more adjust to testing it hardly ever happens. I only use a cotton pad afterwards, to press on his ear and stop the bleeding if too much blood was drawn...this is also progress; In the begining he wouldn't let me do that either. Before I had the idea of associating testing with his favorite food (only half cooked fresh chicken breast worked in his case...although he is an overweight cat that would eat just about anything...) I used to try and surprise him with testing and I think it traumatized him a bit (he started to act like he's afraid of me). But every cat is different and it might not be that bad for your kitty.
    Now we are at a point that when I take out the testing kit and sit in the 'testing sofa' he comes and kind of 'kneels down' in front of me... I never thought that such a thing would be possible with him. I was blindshooting him for over 6 months after his diagnosis because of his refusal to get tested...(he is also kind of wild and would fight back and also bite). Boris is in remission since begining of july:D so luckily I currently dont have to test him that often. I think that in comparison to me and Boris you are in a good starting point with Pumpkin;) Im sure you'll figure out soon enough what works best for both of you in regards to testing. It gets easier after a while...

Jacques and Pumpkin likes this.
  8. Jacques and Pumpkin

Wow, that’s amazing progress! Pumpkin hasn’t stopped putting up at least token resistance to claw trimming despite a decade+ of bribery, so I’ll be happy to just get to consistent pre-shot testing and some spot checks. I thought there was no way I’d get even after as a successful test every day so who knows!

9. Jacques and Pumpkin

That’s good to hear that the finger padding method worked for you. One thing I was wondering about is whether a thimble is thick enough. Did you ever have a problem with poking through the bandage?

We have made no progress on pressure after the test over here. I think I get a worse reaction just to trying to wipe the blood off than I get to the actual poke. Baby steps though!

10. Nava&Boris

Nava&Boris Member

Once she would start to feel better it would be easier I think, because she would link testing to her feeling of recovery....But it sounds like you are doing a great job with her anyhow:)

11. Melinda and Kitkat

It was very very rare that we would, and if we did it truly wasn't very deep or painful at all, I would think your thimble would be more than thick enough to protect your fingertip nicely, since it will be denser and you will likely feel the resistance from the syringe long before you poke all the way through the thimble.
    And, like Nava , we don't use anything anymore now that it has become a calmer routine to test.

12. Melinda and Kitkat

Just wondering if Pumpkin likes chin scratches? Or is ok with you giving her a whisker rub?
    If so, since you got her plunked in front of you, once you've got the test.....could you try bringing both hands up under her chin/whiskers for a scratch and then sneaky sneaky like... press a little bit on both ears with your thumb and forefinger? Maybe the disraction of the chin scratching will get her more used to you touching her ears? Just a thought. :p. ;)

13. Jacques and Pumpkin

She loves chin scratches, but once I get a poke in she gets pretty upset with me and doesn't really want to be touched. Right now my strategy is to give her 20 seconds or so to calm down and then give a quick press for 2-3 seconds with some gauze. It at least stops the bleeding when I do that.

We're starting to get a lot of blood from the pokes. Today I had to use a second strip to take a tiny bit of blood off the first one that picked up way too much. I think it's time to move to 28 gauge, which should hopefully also make it a bit more comfortable.

Melinda and Kitkat likes this.
  14. Jacques and Pumpkin

Well, I learned today that the rubber thimbles are too thin to protect my finger. Leather one works but I’m not sure how sanitary it’s going to be. Trying a silicone one next.

Meanwhile, a series of very frustrating tests today. PMPS I got enough, but took the meter away too fast. Just barely missed having enough, and then there wasn’t enough for a second strip. Then at +3 I got enough on the second poke but Pumpkin was done and wouldn’t let me get the meter in before the blood coagulated.

Cant use the sock or milking methods because I need to save all my precious ear handling window for the poke and the meter. I get about 5 seconds before she’s done.

And I can feel Pumpkin getting more and more upset with me. Lots of tail swishing and ears moving back even when I’m not trying to test. I’ve been pushing too hard and need to slow down.

I think the system of minimizing ear contact and handling time is the right answer for Pumpkin, but it’s going to take more time for her to even grudgingly accept it. And if the test fails, I can’t get frustrated in front of her.

I’m making sure to give her lots of petting and play time. Hopefully she starts to forgive me .

15. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Hi @Jacques and Pumpkin, I'm on a journey too to get Ethan used to home testing (it's funny I was thinking about a thimble too just when you posted as Ethan had the same reaction with the cotton! But I found the thimble too awkward to work with so we are back to cotton).

In my experience (aka. learning from my early mistakes) getting Pumpkin to be as relaxed as possible about the test is super important. I would prioritize getting her acclimated to testing over forcing a result, unless you are in a situation where you are concerned for her immediate well-being.

One thing I've had to do is give up for now on trying to hold the strip against Ethan's ear to collect blood- his ears are way too twitchy for that. I just quickly dab with a clean finger to pick up the blood drop (I believe the official recommendation is a clean fingernail) and hold it on the strip. Ethan's strips seem to take forever to get a reading (feels like at least 10-15 seconds if not longer) and they seem to need some pressure applied too.

16. Jacques and Pumpkin

Good point. With human testing the blood wells up on your skin for a few seconds, so it’s not like contact with human skin is going to irredeemably taint the test. Going in with a finger to get the sample is going to be way less scary than bringing in a new and weird machine.

Erin Ethan likes this.
  17. Jacques and Pumpkin

We’re back to purring when I scritch Pumpkin this morning. The tail lashing has stopped.

I’m taking a testing holiday today and we’ll start working on it again tomorrow.

Erin Ethan likes this.
  18. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Updating with new info: the reason Ethan's strips were feeling so fussy is because the Freestyle Lite strips have tiny protrusions on the side that are supposed to suck up the blood (rather than getting the blood onto the strip)! The manual wasn't clear about this...its thanks to FDMB that we sorted this out!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
  19. Jacques and Pumpkin

Thanks! I’d seen your other posts about your Freestyle Lite journey and they were what convinced me to try it. I’ve tried the strips on myself and those little tabs are almost spooky the way they suck in the blood.

20. Jacques and Pumpkin

Very disheartening series of tests lately. I think I've gone something like 5 pokes in a row drawing either no blood or too little for a successful test. This last one, I felt the lancet nick me, so I know it went through, but no blood. I'm aiming for the sweet spot and everything.

Pumpkin has not at all enjoyed the rice-filled sock, but I guess maybe I need to take an even further step back, train her with treats to enjoy the rice sock, and then add in the poking. I only get so much time before she's had enough though, and I have serious doubts I can do the sock, poke, and test.

Sigh, gotta keep trying....

21. Melinda and Kitkat

Your patience with Pumpkin will go a long way to getting her more comfortable with tests. :bighug:Sometimes you have no choice but to go at their pace. Cats!!! lol. One or two successful tests as she learns this will help her is better than none, right? ;)
    I never did end up using a sock, but it works for some people and might for you too. .
    I found that if my kitty was having a good cat nap on his blankey, I would wake him with the treat bag and a nice chin scratch (and the tools in site) . He would have a toasty warm ear depending on how he was laying down. (I made sure I had nice warm hands as well, running them under hot water for awhile) since I always had to milk a bit to get a sufficient drop. May this help?
    Not sure if you tried, but I use the lancing device that came with my meter now, I took a good few days of playing with him with it like a cat toy. (I removed the lancet) and just clicked it all over him, near his face, his chin, even his butt! lol making a game of it, so he would not be afraid of the clicking noise. Then a treat for playing the "clicky thing game" with me . That worked for me. :bighug::bighug:

Erin Ethan likes this.
  22. Jacques and Pumpkin

Today’s attempt: I went back to the lancing device, 26g needle, deepest setting. I used the leather thimble on the back of ear. I waited for her to be relaxed in a cozy spot (my dining room chair). I’d practiced my technique on a stuffed animal, so I had everything down. Thimble behind the ear. Squished pressed lancer against thimble through ear. Poke. We’ve got plenty of blood! Quick, quick, grab the tester. Go in to get the sample. Pumpkin whips her head around to swipe at the tester. The precious blood drop goes flying. And we’re done.

It feels like this technique might have some promise though. I don’t think Pumpkin even reacted to the lancing itself. I should have just grabbed the drop with my finger while I had a chance. Next time.

23. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Oh darn! That's happened to us a few times...a quick head toss and the precious drop flies off never to be seen again!

The deepest setting on the lancing device sounds like it might be a bit intense (?)

I'm not familiar with using the lancing device (other than on my own fingers-- using the least-deep setting). Hopefully someone experienced with it can comment!

24. Melinda and Kitkat

Sorry that you lost that precious drop, Jacques. :oops: we all know how that can be. But it does sound very promising that she didn't jerk her head away with the actual lancing. This may be something for you to keep at and try a few more times. If she stays fairly comfortable with that part then you are halfway there :bighug:. :p:D
    A couple suggestions about the sampling part..... they may help. ?
    Many here will do that too, try to get it off the cat (twitchy) and onto you (calm) :nailbiting:, either a fingertip or scoop it up with your fingernail (before you move your hand away to grab the device).
    I dont know if your tester does the little beeps as it prepares for the testing, mine does (it beeps twice) . Beep 1: preparing to test, a few seconds later Beep 2: ready, apply drop. I found that if we were a bit too quick bringing the meter to the ear, that second beep would freak him out a bit and make him flick. We had to wait that extra few seconds keeping it away from his ear (it is at least 30 seconds or so before it times out or turns off) . And It beeps again when the sample is taken, he usually flicks again cause it is right up close to his ear, however, it's not an issue if the sample was good. Baby steps :kiss:. (he dunna like the high pitched beeps, nope!;))
    Also, for the device, please don't be too concerned about using the highest setting.... from research here I have learned that the higher settings tend to work best for kitty ears. The setting is all about the depth of the puncture to get to the good stuff, and is NOT necessarily a setting for the degree of pain felt by the poke, higher does not truly mean more painful. Keep in mind these devices are made for peeps of all ages, and the depth of the skin layer (cutaneous layer), the poke does need to pass through this protective layer into the capillary bed underneath in order to get the blood sample. An infant/elderly person has a thin layer = lower setting is sufficient. A 40 yr old farmer? probably highest setting. I found that my max setting (5/5) was needed when I first starting using it, but once his ears learned to bleed easier I dropped it down to 4.5, and now 4/5.

25. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

26. Jacques and Pumpkin

Further adventures today. Watching the Super Bowl, my wife looks over and notices Pumpkin is drooling. She otherwise seems a little slower than normal but still very alert. But, with no successful tests in a few days, we’re a bit worried. I try testing, she’s pulling away as soon as I brush anywhere near the ear. Give a couple pieces of kibble, wait 10 minutes, try again, same result. Repeat, same result.

I’m getting more concerned that I won’t get a test in before her next shot is due, so I resort to something I haven’t done in years: the purrito. Pumpkin is not happy, but once she’s wrapped up she lets me hold the ear in place and get the lancet in. Nice big drop of blood. I’ve learned my lesson so I put my finger on it. The meter barely made a dent in the drop I picked up.

So much more reassuring than trying to divine blood glucose from behavioral symptoms.

27. Melinda and Kitkat

purrrrrito? luv it! we all eventually figure out the best for our unique catty cat. :cat::cat:

28. Jacques and Pumpkin

Doesn’t look like the purrito method is going to work for anything except emergencies. Too much struggling now that she knows what’s coming. I’m okay with wrestling her if it’s an emergency but I don’t want that to be our daily routine.

I think I might finally have a winning formula:
    • I don’t like the leather thimble because it doesn’t feel hygienic. The rubber one was too thin, but if I layer a small and medium one it’s perfect.
    • lancet pre-loaded in the lancing device
    • Spread her food out thinly in the bowl so she can’t gobble it up
    • While she’s eating, grasp the ear with my thimbled finger on the inside and thumb on the outside
    • Press the lancing device firmly against the thimble through the ear (it’s surprising how firm this needs to be). Honestly at this point I’m trying to avoid the vein but otherwise not sweating finding the sweet spot. I can draw blood anywhere on the ear from my experience.
    • Lance
    • Pick up some of the blood with my finger
    • Test the blood
    • While she’s still eating, apply pressure
    I noticed that she didn’t mind me touching her ears if I didn’t have all my testing equipment out. She can tell the difference between regular ear rubs and “I’m about to test you” rubs. But she’s such a food addict that that all goes out the window while she’s eating.

I’m still getting some misfires, but with the food spread out it takes her so long to lap it up that I have time for multiple tries.

The downside of this system is that if I get a low number I might not be able to shoot even if she rises because she’ll have had a full meal already. Still better than shooting blind, I hope.

29. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

It sounds like you're making awesome progress with Pumpkin. Getting a system down that works is tricky! Making those little adjustments with every test seems to make a big difference.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record (not trying to be a Debbie Downer I swear!) When you say pressing the lancing device firmly against the thimble 'through the ear'-- you're not aiming to poke through the ear are you?

30. Jacques and Pumpkin

I’m definitely not trying to lance all the way through the ear. I just meant that the thimble and lancing device are applying pressure against each other through the ear. Thank you for caring! I appreciate all the concern and tips from people who’ve been at this longer than me.

Now that I have a working system I’m dialing back on the lancing depth. I kept having failed tests before and wasn’t sure what was going wrong so I did everything to the max. With the lancing device I think the key is to have very firm pressure on the other side of the ear.

This evening’s test was smooth as butter. She pulled away on my first attempt, but then went back to her food and I was able to go right back in, grasp everything firmly, and get a nice drop of blood. I was even able to get in and apply pressure with some gauze after taking the sample.

I’ll keep reducing the depth until it stops working reliably. I was also able to graduate from 26g to 28g without a problem! I’ll give 28g a few days and then try out 30g.

31. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

That's so good!!! Congrats on the smooth test and graduating to the smaller lancets! :joyful:

32. Melinda and Kitkat

That is just wonderful news, tests going more smoothly:):bighug::). I found for Kitkat he still needs at least 3.5/5 on the depth settings, but nice that you can reduce the lancet size and still get a nice drop. Sounds like ears are getting used to the bleed and growing a nice capillary bed :p

33. Melinda and Kitkat

Agreed! 100 %. Nicely done :bighug:;)

34. Jacques and Pumpkin

Continuing my testing journey. After a great day where I got AM and PM preshot tests, and a +4 this morning, I failed to get enough blood for a reading at AMPS and PMPS today. I’d planned on a +3 before heading to bed and I was determined to break the streak.

I made a few more adjustments. Pumpkin is getting more tolerant of me handling her ear while she’s eating. She still won’t allow it otherwise, but I can get a pretty firm grip on there while her head is in the bowl. So I stopped using the lancing device and started freehanding. That allows for the quick double poke folks suggested. And, I now have enough time to milk her ear a bit, so I’m doing that too. With those adjustments, I got just enough for a +3 test this evenimg.

The FreeStyle Lite continues to be a lifesaver. There’s no way the little drop of blood I picked up with my finger would have been enough on my True Metrix. Hopefully I can graduate to cheaper tests at some point, but we’ll give that some time.

35. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Jacques, just read your post, in the YouTube videos I have watched for tips, many use Vaseline on the ear prior to lancing and it makes the blood form into a bead for testing. You might try that! :joyful: Mary

36. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Again, in the videos they show a cotton ball or cotton pad, us women use with toner on our faces (very cheap in cosmetics aisle of store) held underneath the ear for firmness.

37. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

if you lose the drop why not knead her ear for another one? My vet tech told me when Bear had his last curve in the office, they used the 1st lance the whole day and just kneaded it to get more blood all day long...worth trying.....

38. Jacques and Pumpkin

This has been a whole journey. When I first started there was no way I could knead Pumpkin. Every second I was in there was precious and I didn’t get any second chances.

Now that we have our system down, I’m able to knead her when necessary.

I think with the spicier kitties a lot of the advice can be overwhelming. It’s everything we can do just to poke the ear in the right place. The rice sock, the kneading and everything all helps if your cat will stay still. If they’re frisky, you might just be using up patience you could be using to poke a hole in their ear and collect the sample.

I think the best advice for spicy kitties is to not worry about getting the blood to start with. Just focus on getting the cat used to the process one step at a time. Don’t get upset if you fail to get enough blood, just keep working on figuring out more of a system that works for you and your cat. With patience you and your cat will get less stressed and you’ll come to an understanding.

At least, that’s what finally worked for me.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  39. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Jacques, thank you I read all thru your posts and learned alot! wish me luck...gonna do it soon, when I get my courage up!!

40. Jacques and Pumpkin

You’ve got this! Just take it as Bear’s speed and don’t get mad at yourself if you don’t get it at first.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  41. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you knead the ear too much you will get more interstitial fluid in the blood that will dilute the blood and result in a lower BG value.

Squeezing your finger
    If your hands are cold or if circulation is poor, you may have to squeeze your finger a lot to get enough blood. When you do that, you are getting some interstitial fluid rather than blood. A study shows that this “may lead to unreliable readings." Gently warming the hands ahead of time can help so you don’t have squeeze so hard.

https://www.healthcentral.com/slideshow/worst-mistakes-you-make-when-checking-your-sugar

Bear's Mama likes this.
  42. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Larry, Good to know, I will keep that in mind. Bear's #'s were in the 400's for that last curve, all day. With the vet tech kneading... hmm

do newbies do curves on here right away, or shud I take it one BG at a time, and do it at different times, like 1 day +3, then day +4 etc...???? Going to read your link now. good link good info! Thx! :cat:

43. Jacques and Pumpkin

Just updating this thread to mention that I'm going to stop using the Freestyle Lite meter, and I don't think other people should use it either, except maybe when they're just starting out and can't test any other way. If you can get enough blood, I'd recommend using a different meter, such as ReLion.

I've been using Freestyle Lite, but I started trying to use a different meter because the Freestyle Lite strips are very expensive. I tried the TrueMetrix I had started out with and noticed the readings were much higher with the TrueMetrix than with the Freestyle Lite. So I got myself a ReLion Premier Classic, and again the readings were much higher with the ReLion.

Here are a couple of comparisons:
    Freestyle 319/ReLion 400
    Freestyle 262/ReLion 323

In both cases that's way outside the 15% variation from the meters being somewhat imprecise. And it's not a random variation, the Freestyle was consistently lower than the ReLion. This was from 6 different blood samples. Each time I used the same drop of blood for both the Freestyle Lite and the ReLion (I pretty consistently get at least 1 uL of blood these days, often more like 2 or 3 uL).

The other thing I've noticed is that if you have a tiny drop of blood that's just enough for the Freestyle, the numbers tend to be even lower than what I'm showing above.. So when you're using the Freestyle for its main advantage (the 0.3 uL drop), it's even less accurate!

I found this thread where other people also saw major inaccuracies with the Freestyle Lite: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/freestyle-lite-meter-comparison-at-low-numbers.61200/

There were people in that thread who thought their cats were regulated based on Freestyle Lite tests, took them to the vet, and found out they were very much not regulated.

Bear's Mama likes this.
  44. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The two meters are within +/- 15% band for EACH meter.
    319 +15%=367 while 400 -15% is 340
    262+15%=301 while 323-15% is 273

That would be expected since the meter system error is a constant for one individual meter and some variation around the constant AND same for a lot of strips. With a different lot of strips there would be a different constant strips error with a variation for each sytrip.

45. hgoodwin2007

hgoodwin2007 New Member

We have not started routinely testing (feral cat-trying to get used to insulin shots first) but I have gotten two successful pokes since her diagnosis. I have feee handed the lancet poke and don’t use the lancing device because it is bulking and noisy.
    Not sure if this will help!

Bear's Mama likes this.
  46. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

every time my Bear hears the click he is outta there!!! I agree, never thought to use just the lancet!! might try that thx!!!

47. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

how do you free hand the lancet? How can you tell how hard to poke it, and how fast? I tried once and i think i poked him to hard, he jumped and no blood gotten. Thx

48. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

do newbies do curves on here right away, or shud I take it one BG at a time, and do it at different times, like 1 day +3, then day +4 etc...????Thx! :cat:

Bear's Mama

49. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Jacques please read my post tonight I am batting 0% so far and very discouraged and Bear is not liking me!

50. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Please share with me the double poke. I cannot imagine doing 2 pokes on Bear, I can't get a successful 1 pke as it is, there isno blood to be seen and i am using the deepest setting on 5 on the lancet device.

51. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

HI Nava,
    sounds like you have had a difficult road with Boris, and I am now having with my Bear. He is a fighter and wants NOTHING to do with testing. I have been trying the lest 10 days and gotten no blood at all. He has warm ears but I rub anyway, I was afraid i wasn't hitting his ear or missing completely, but i ch. the lancet and there is red on it, just no blood from Bear. I even ch myself and it pokes me just fine:arghh:
    I thought maybe you could give me some pointers. I am using his lay down time in his bed, since he is not a cat that will let me pick him up, cuddle or anything like that. I have no way of holding him once i try and miss... he is a goner! i scratch him and rub his belly and he is relaxed and as soon as he sees the lancet he is trying to get out of his bed..then i poke and no blood. i grab him and knead the ear and still no blood. he is a hot blooded cat, his ear is warm. i am aiming for the fur part outside vein as suggested. and nothing:banghead:

Can you help me or get someone else in this convo to suggest anything? I get no answers on here. It's not much help/.:( Thx! Mary

52. Bear's Mama

Bear's Mama Member

Jacques how do you get the blood on your finger please? smear it on or get a blob of blood? Since i haven't gotten ANY, I am planning on grabbing it with my finger but don't know what that looks like.
    Thank you! I have thrown many ??? on here for you tonight, as I read thru your conversations. Mary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.