Lancing device or freehand?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Red, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Ok, so my to-do list for today included testing myself with the glucose meter to get comfortable with it. And test Red for the first time.

I’m going to be honest. It just took me an embarrassing and ridiculous amount of time to do the test on myself. I’m not even telling anyone how long. It’s that bad. Lol

Anyway; I had pretty much dismissed the lancet device from the beginning. I didn’t like the sound and I kept chickening out before hitting the button. I’m very needle phobic so I know my fear may seem weird to some. But I’m having to do something that causes a great deal of anxiety.

Anyway, I started off test poking myself freehand. It hurt and I wasn’t even getting blood. But then I accidentally shot the lancet device off on my finger and that hurt a lot less than what I was doing freehand. And I got blood.

So now I’m rethinking my strategy.

Basically, I need some advice on what’s the better method for my cat? I know everyone has their own method, and there’s no “right” way but any insight would be helpful.

Does using the device hurt less! I obviously want to inflict as little pain as possible on my sweet boy.

I know it’s unlikely to get it right the first time. But for my cat’s sake and my own sanity, I would like to do everything in my power to get it right from the start. Otherwise, my fear will just grow.

Also, is it less or more painful going from the outside of the ear versus the inside? How do I make sure I don’t hit a vein? Do I go above or below the vein?

I was told to use a little warmth on the ear prior. That’s unfortunate because if I was allowed to use ice I could numb the area a little first. Bad idea?

Can I get a numbing cream so he doesn’t even know what’s happening? I don’t even know if that’s a thing and I’m starting to sound like a crazy person again… huh? I’m sorry!

Can anyone share how their cat reacted the first time they tested and what method you used? Have you changed the way you do things after learning more?

Does anyone test when their cats head is down (like when they are resting or sleeping)?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

First, cats ears are much less sensitive than our fingers are. Most cats don’t even notice at all. For my cat, the worst part about it is being held still against her will :rolleyes: You do want to warm the ears up first, as that will help the blood flow and make it easier to get a sample. Cold ears don’t usually bleed as well, especially when you are first starting out testing and they’re not “used” to bleeding yet.

Whether or not you choose to use the lancing device or not is really a personal choice. I think most people choose to do it freehand. I use the device. I tried a few times without it, but I could never get the pressure right, so I just stuck with the device.

You want to aim for the outside edge of the ear, above the vein. It doesn’t really matter whether you do the outside or the inside of the ear, whichever is easier for you. I do the outside. This link has a wealth of information on home testing tips.

upload_2021-7-20_18-56-43.jpeg

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Honestly, my cat hated when I first started home testing. But the issue really stemmed from the fact that she is very independent and does NOT like being forced to do things against her will. It took me a few weeks of slowing introducing her to all the steps before I was able to do it successfully. Other cats are perfectly fine with it from the start, it really just depends on your cat and their temperament. But now my cat walks right up to her testing spot every single time :cat: She doesn’t always sit still lol, but I’ll take what I can get!

You are welcome to try testing your kitty while they’re sleeping, but I think a lot of people would agree that they find it better to have a designated testing spot. Most of the time, the kitties will be conditioned to go to that spot like mine is now, especially if they get treats!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi again Lauren :). I did start off using the lancet device, mostly because I wasn't sure about how much pressure I needed to use in order to get a little blood drop. I found that helped take away one of the variables in the activity. As I mentioned yesterday, the outer edges of the ears really don't have much in the way of nerve endings which, as you found out by testing yourself, is not like your finger, which does ;). You always want to aim for the edge of the ear, don't go inward or below the vein. I think we had a couple of pics in your other post before, and the one here is also a good example.

I didn't find that Maverick cared much about the clicking sound, but there have been kitties here who find it a bit startling. Why don't you try just clicking it near Red and see if he even notices the sound?

Once I got the hang of the pokies, I ended up being more comfortable in "feeling" the right amount of pressure in the poke, and have been free-handing it, although I continue to use the lancet device (not just the lancet), since I find it easier to hold and control the poke.

I have tested Maverick when he is sleeping, if it was at a time where I wanted to see what his BG level is at, but for the most part, he knows when it is time for a test, and comes running, because he can hear me getting the meter and strips out of the drawer, and he knows he'll either get a treat or a little low carb snack as a reward.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  4. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Is it a bad idea to start testing in his favorite spot? He loves being in this canopy bed that’s on top of my bed. Rarely do I find him anywhere else lately. It has a back so if I block the front he has no where to go. He also hates being held or picked up for more than a few seconds. He’s a cuddle bug when it’s on his terms. But holding him somewhere will likely end poorly. I have no one to help. So I thought maybe I would try when he’s relaxed or sleeping in his basket.

At the same time, I would hate if I ruined his favorite spot and he started associating it with something bad. That would break my heart.

What do you think?

I was testing the sound by his ears and he wasn’t feeling it. But he didn’t run away either. Just looked concerned and annoyed after a couple clicks.

5. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Is he a big fan of treats? That’s how I got Sophie used to testing. I would click the device, give a treat. Mess with her ears, treat. Hold her in place for a few seconds, treat, etc. until eventually she started associating testing with treats. Now she drools while I’m testing her lol.

If you think testing him there would be the easiest option for you, I say go for it. The most important thing is finding a testing place and method that both works and is comfortable for you and your cat. I know it’s hard at first, but also do your best to stay calm - if you’re anxious he will be too. When I was starting out, it helped me to kind of talk to myself and say all the steps out loud as I did them.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  6. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thanks for the reminder. I’m not absorbing all the information because there’s so much that I don’t understand. So I’m sorry if I’m making you repeat yourself! It’s not intentional.

what do you mean by don’t go inward? I don’t know what you are referring to. Sorry.

I don’t know the terminology, but his ear has this small little flap/layered piece (you probably have no clue what I’m talking about cuz I’m struggling with describing it). It’s the bottom/base of ear on the inside and all the way to the right or left side (the side further away from the eyes). Does that make even a smidge of sense?

so I want to be on the outer edge, above the fold thingy, but below the very tip top? right? And as close to the most outer ridge of the ear as possible? Do I angle it sideways or just straight on? Is there a spot you’ve noticed that hurts the least?

I’m so scared! I had only a few ”to dos” today. I can’t chicken out. . I need to do it but I’m literally queazy and panicking (It’s not fair I keep asking people for help when I am clearly the real problem). You must feel like you’re talking to a wall. I’m sorry for that too :(

I know I’ve been shown videos and pictures but I’m just dumb and can’t match up my cats ear like a normal person I get so stressed out looking and watching that I’m missing the important parts. And looking away when i shouldn’t. My anxiety has been under control for years. But now I’ve been feeling it all come back this week in a crushing weight and panic attacks. I thought I had left that nightmare behind. But I’m back at square one. And embarrassed. And weak.

So I know you can’t really help me. I’m mostly venting because it sometimes helps. Thanks for listening. Sorry if my grammar is messed up or I made a bunch of typos. It’s hard to type while crying . You would think I’d be a pro at that by now

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I free-handed because Gracie didn’t care one bit about it but she didn’t like the clicker sound. It didn’t take long before her ears bled really well and I badly had to poke her with a 31g lancet.

One thing we say here is “every cat is different” and that comes with testing location. For Gracie, she didn’t care and I could test her when she was sleeping anywhere. Other cats have testing stations where the caregiver (CG) always takes them and gives them treats. Some cats even learn to go to their testing station. You’ll have to figure out what works best for you and Red.

Great job testing yourself!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  8. Marje and Gracie

Correct. I angled sideways.

Baby steps. Just try. If you don’t get blood from his ear, give it a rest. Don’t keep poking.

And we are here for you to vent. We don’t care about grammar or typos. Sometimes we see some really funny stuff from typos and we all get that needed laugh.

9. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Not much of a treat eater, unfortunately. Sometimes he likes cheese. But I don’t know how safe it is to feed him that regularly.

how much time do I have from when the the glucose meter starts flashing the blood drop after inserting the strip until I’m actually able to add the blood drop? Pretty limited in time, huh?

10. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

The little two layered flap you’re talking about is a little too far down the ear. You want to be above that, along the edge. Maybe this picture shows it better

upload_2021-7-20_21-12-44.jpeg

I 100% understand your anxiety! I would literally get dizzy when I would think about trying to test Sophie’s blood sugar. My palms would get sweaty, my heart would start racing, the whole thing. It seems like it is a huge deal, but I promise to with practice you will be a pro :bighug:

If your cat isn’t particularly lactose intolerant, a little bit of cheese shouldn’t hurt too much. Maybe a little piece of shredded cheese each time? Or does he like something else? Brushes? Pets? It’s really just about finding a good reward for your specific cat.

How much time you have between inserting the strip and getting the sample probably depends on your meter. One thing you can do is put the strip in the meter, but don’t push it all the way in. Then when you’re ready to get the sample, push the strip in

Lauren & Red likes this.
  11. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I was under the impression that once the strip was removed from the tube it had to be used right away. It would certainly help if that wasn’t the case.

12. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Nope! You probably don’t want to leave it out overnight or anything like that, but a few minutes or honestly probably even a few hours will not hurt

Lauren & Red likes this.
  13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You aren't making me repeat myself at all, and I'm happy to help! It was a comment relating to this:
    What I meant was if you look at the pic above, stay on the outer edge, don't go inward on the ear on the wrong side of the vein. So where it says prick here, don't prick on the right side of the vein. Oh gosh, I'm not really very clear, am I?!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  14. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you!

ok everyone, I’m going to try. Wish me luck. This could be an all night thing so if you don’t hear from me, it’s because I’m working on it or panicking —or likely a combo of both. But I’m determined to get my first sample tonight.

15. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

LOL. Still better than me. So angle out towards the rim of the ear. Not in towards the vein… Right!

16. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I failed :(

the first few times I was being timid and so afraid of hurting him or hitting the wrong spot that I wasn’t holding the device close enough to his skin. At least I’m guessing because nothing happened.
    The 4th attempt I got blood, but he shook his head before I could get a sample. The 5th and last time I also got blood to form but couldn’t get it into the test strip because he clawed his way free. Now he’s hiding in a spot I can’t reach him.
    There’s plenty of blood now. Only it’s all mine.

So here I am prolonging his insulin yet again because I can’t seem to get it together. His diabetes has prob been untreated for a very long time. Because I dismissed the symptoms as nothing serious. Or just part of what happens when cats get older. Like an idiot! Trust me, I’ll never forgive myself for that one.

Plus, his test results were so high from the vet that I’m worried about the damage being caused by waiting to start insulin. Is it too risky to give a half unit of insulin now anyway?

Being as clueless as I am, I don’t know what’s worse. Still not starting insulin or beginning insulin without testing first. It’s a lose lose situation and I don’t know what to do?

my doctor prescribed two units every 12 hours. We all agreed I should start at a half unit instead (doing the SLGS method—don’t know if I got that abbreviation right).

So My Question Is This:

let’s just say (worst case scenario) the test I was unable to do would’ve shown that he didn’t need the insulin… Which is very unlikely since we haven’t done anything but change his diet. The diabetic symptoms are all still there. Increased thirst, hunger, urination and very sticky pee. He just seems not well overall. Just a subtle difference I’m picking up on (Or possibly imagining because i’m losing my mind lately).

But even if that was the case, realistically, how big of a risk is such a small dose? Shouldn’t my priority be the insulin? I honestly don’t know.

Thoughts? Opinions

17. Marje and Gracie

Yes it is concerning that he’s not quite yet getting insulin but if you are testing his ketones, that will give you just a bit more time to learn as long as he’s not showing ketones and he’s eating and drinking.

Because you stopped dry food, it’s possible his BG could be lower but let’s say you did give him insulin without testing. Occasionally, we see an initial drop in the BG with the first shot and if you can’t test, you can’t keep him safe. I’d try again tomorrow and see if you can get a test and give him his shot.

You made headway tonight! You overcame your fear of the lancet and you got blood. You made progress!!

You know what you need to watch for tomorrow. They will all shake their heads at first. Try this tomorrow…insert the strip part of the way into the meter but not where it starts the countdown. Get the blood from his ear and put it on your fingernail, let him go, and then push the strip in and let it suck up the blood drop from your fingernail.

Get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day to try again. You both will get this!

18. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Definitely work on getting that drop of blood onto your thumb nail, and let the strip drink the blood right from your nail. It saved me in the beginning, as Jack just wanted to walk away and head shaking was always causing me to lose that good drop of blood before I was able to get it onto the glucometer. Nowadays, it's become so easy that I don't generally need to do it that way, but I will if Jack or Marley are too antsy to sit still. The other day, Jack shook his head and a large drop landed on my leg. I let the strip sip the blood right off my leg, and it worked! So you can keep that in mind too - If Red shakes his head and the drop lands somewhere where it can still be used to test, just go for it. You can do this!

I also want to add, just in case you haven't heard this yet - Don't drop the drop of blood onto the strip. Rather, dip the end of the strip into the drop of blood and let it "sip" up the blood. You also do not need a large drop.

19. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you! The problem with the nail thing is I don’t really have nails. They are very short. I cut them that way because I can’t wear nail polish so my nails never look pretty. I have fish tanks that I regularly maintain, clean and have my arms in all the time. Since my nails are so short,

I’m worried it will end up going under my nail instead of on top. If that makes sense? Do you have any other suggestions? If not, that’s ok.

I’m glad to hear it got easier for you. Hopefully, it does for me too because I’m really struggling.

I did my first test and shot last night. Here is the new thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/first-shot-test-at-2.250235/#post-2822798

20. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

Just to weigh in. I started with the lancet device. (I almost didn't buy it but the Walmart employee grabbed one out of the case saying, "And you will need this." I was successful right away. Then I read that using the clear top would allow you to pretty much see where the needle would strike. Liked that much better. I also read that people were getting better control with just the lancet. So I tried that once. I went through Sister's ear and got way too much blood. Went back to the device with the clear top because it is somewhat calibrated to strike the same each time. We are both happier.
    PS Don't apologize for your nails. I don't "do" mine either. Just clean and file, no polish. Those fancy nails always seemed to trigger thoughts of "too much time on my hands" and I never wanted to be that gal. :)

21. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

I have to try this nail technique. I am getting blood droplet stains here and there because Sister feels the blood before I see it and shakes her head.

22. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

@Lauren & Red and @Ann & Sister
    I remember one member saying that she scooped the blood onto a tiny spoon because she had no nails. Maybe that would work?
    Lauren - You did it! You got blood!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.