Lack of appetite/delaying insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Loki, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

[Edit: He's back from the vet now, and he's all good. He'll need his fangs pulled sometime soon and his BSL was predictably high, but I'll be able to administer insulin this evening.]

Good morning. I'll try to give all the info I think could be relevant as concisely as possible.

Loki usually greets me by screaming at me because his BSL is high and he needs food (and insulin). Today he's totally silent. I got his BSL and it's 21.5. No interest in his kibble either, didn't even move toward it to smell it. I brought it to him and he finished some but not all. This is is definitely strange behaviour for him.

He's had a very good few days diabetes wise, although I did have to call the after hours emergency vet line yesterday. Loki got into some spoiled raw potatoes and immediately rejected it (in both ways). The vet said since he got it out he should be fine and just to monitor him. Oh the joys of having a cat that eats garbage...

During The Great Potato Incident I checked his BSL and it was a healthy 10. The rest of yesterday was fine eating wise, with his usually obnoxious flair, and 3 IU was given at normal evening insulin time.

Guidance would be very much appreciated. When should I worry? I'll also call his vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How do you mean that the potatoes were spoiled? Eating rotten food could be causing your cat to not feel well (e.g., a tummy upset) or what he ate could be toxic. There is likely a poison help line in your area. I would suggest calling to see if there are any possible effects you need to be concerned about.

3. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

Sprouting and spongy. I'm getting in touch with his vet again now because he puked up even the small amount of kibble he was able to eat.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd still call the poison help line. They have greater expertise than most vets or MDs when it comes to anything even close to toxic. I just did a search. Raw potatoes contain solanine which is toxic to cats. This may be a trip to the ER.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope Loki will be ok. Keep up updated

6. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

He’s perked up, thank God. He’s eaten (and got loud asking for it lol) and kept it down. I’m in communication with the vet and will continue to monitor but all appears well.
    And assuming he continues to keep food down he’ll get insulin tonight as usual. I skipped the morning one.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom