? kitty not wanting to eat much

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scarlette & Fluffy, May 9, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlette & Fluffy

Scarlette & Fluffy Member

Fluffy so far has been holding steady at 12 lb and 4 oz since diagnosed in March. I have been trying to feed him primarily FF wet food or Friskies wet food. If I put a 3 oz can of FF in his food dish he doesn't seem to want to finish it so he goes to the community dish and he nibbles a little and then he's done. I'm concerned that he's not getting enough food in him and he is currently getting two units. His BG's haven't yet normalized. He does graze off and on at community dish. He's still on Novolin-N. I've been having some difficulties getting a hold of the vet to have it switched to Lantus or Levemir.
    I would prefer him to switch to totally wet food. Unfortunately that would mean switching all seven of them to wet food which I can't financially do. I'm not sure if he's bored with the seafood flavors and the chicken flavors because I'm trying to keep it as low carb as possible within my budget . Or is he just have a craving for the high carb dry food? Any suggestions?

This is very hard and very discouraging.

Lando demando likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you able to get any more tests in during the cycles so we can see what the insulin is doing during the cycles?
    Keep persevering to get the insulin changed. This Novolin N is not doing much for Fluffy.
    You most likely need to increase but we need to see more tests during the cycles.

Are you testing for ketones?

4. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Seven wow! You are my new hero!! I thought three was hard. On the serious side, im so sorry your guy fluffy is displaying a reduced appetite. Im sending empathy your way. That has been an ongoing battle with my guy for almost a year now when he was diagnosed. Getting Lando on anti nausea meds was the big game changer for me. But i also went through many many small cans of new food to see if they would be “ the one”.
    My only suggestion that i think may help fluffy, is crumbling freeze dried chicken treat over the wet food ( or other low carb enticer) and sheba pates were a hit with Lando when nothing else was.
    Good luck and well wishes

Scarlette & Fluffy likes this.
  5. Lando demando

Btw fluffy is gorgeous!

6. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

Maybe try feeding him half of the can of fancy feast at a time in a quite place just for him. I only have 2 kitty's so I was able to affordability make the switch for my sugar boy who weighs 16lbs & my other boy that weighs 13lbs. They eat 6 cans of FF between the two of them in a 24hr day. I spilt a can between them every 4hrs. Maybe if you give him less food every 4hrs if possible & figure out away to keep him out of the community bowl somehow. You can also try to ween him off the dry by putting the FF on top of some for him. Just a suggestion, good luck with your boy & welcome to the FDMB. They are all absolutely amazing!

7. Scarlette & Fluffy

I isolated fluffy in the bathroom to eat his wet food only 45 minutes later he didn't even barely touch it and I have to leave for work in 30 minutes and that's when he supposed to get his two units now he's at the food dish eating dry kibble. He is going to have to get a shot at 7:30. IDK if he should get 2 U? His BG this morning was 431. IDK what to do.

8. Scarlette & Fluffy

9. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you for the chart. I have looked at that turkey for the issue is the availability of those flavors at my local Walmart that is another story all in itself! I have also checked the other local area stores to no avail. My other concern is the price of individual cans could be as high as a dollar fifteen that is more than I can spend. If he refuses to eat it then one of the other cats is going to have to eat it so it doesn't go to waste and that's more expense and defeated the purpose. I'm so frustrated.

10. Scarlette & Fluffy

When I work 10-hour days I cannot do cycle testing but the next day I'm off I will resume testing every 2 hours. Yes he is negative for ketones I am testing for that with urine strips.

11. Scarlette & Fluffy

I don't know if he is not associated. How can we tell? He just seems to have a general just impress for the wet food but he is eating the dry kibble. He just seems like he wants that dry kibble. He does not vomit up any of his food. I feel like he's just being picky in the beginning he like to wet food and he was doing real good with it now he's just interested in it.

12. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you

13. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you. When I work 10-hour days I do leave the community Bowl down don't want his levels to drop when I'm not home. When I'm off I'm going to have to remove the community Bowl and only put it down at feeding times at 7. Because my other cats will steal the wet food from fluffy and he's so gentle that he lets them I have to isolate him in the bathroom for his wet food feedings.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sorry no one has got back to you. What did you decide to do?

15. Lando demando

Very well may be that he likes kibble! You know him best. I am not really an experienced advice giver, but always happy to offer what has worked in my 3 senior cat 3 different disease household. Good luck and i will be following in case i can help.

btw working 10 hr days!? Sending lots of well wishes your way

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

i have read that some will members will sprinkle food with :
    FortiFlora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    or a little parmesean cheese on the wet food

17. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you so.much!

18. Scarlette & Fluffy

I gave him 1.5U and a prayer, left dry food dish down. He nibbled on kibble prior to shot but I was getting ready for work, bot sure how much he consumed exactly.

19. Scarlette & Fluffy

I will most definitely have to look into this. Thank you.

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're welcome :cat:

21. Lando demando

Crossing fingers for you and fluffy

22. Scarlette & Fluffy

Please note that this is a Continuum from Tuesday evening May 10th when Fluffy was fed wetfood at 6:30pm prior to injection at 7:30p ( which he never got because he didn't have anything in his tummy at the time he got this dose late at 10:00 p.m.). He didn't touch his food only drank bone broth I added to it to make more palatable. He didn't eat very well in the a.m. on this day either. I had tried to take my hand blender and blend up some more bone broth and the wet food to sort of make it the consistency of a licky stick which he likes. But once again he had nothing to do with it. He did go out to the community dish and I let him eat some kibble but over the course of time it was about 10 and I made the Judgment call 2 only give him half of his 2 unit dose in case he didn't have enough food in his belly that he would be safe throughout the night and I left the community Bowl accessible all night. I picked the bowl up somewhere between 4 and 5 a.m. on 5.11.22

5.10.22 PM DOSE 1U
    10p BG 469 (1HR POST EAT)

5.11.22. DOSE. 1U
    6am BG 459 PRE-EAT
    8am BG 449 PRE-EAT TEST. THEN ATE
    1pm BG 367
    6pm BG 391 PRE-SNACK TEST
    8:30pm BG 441 PRE-EAT TEST, THEN ATE
    10:30pm BG 563

I don't understand what's going on with his BG's! I put in a call for the vet to change his insulin to Levemir, she declined. She wants to put him on Vetsulin. I explained that DCIN will not pay for that insulin. Thought that is taking it over and will give me a final decision Thursday evening.

For Fluffy's morning meal I gave him homemade Raw chicken Food and he ate the whole thing. And for his evening meal I also gave him homemade raw food and once again he ate the whole thing. A few minutes before 6 p.m. I took his blood glucose level and they're provided him with access to the community dish which only had a couple ounces kibble
    In it. He and another ate it all.

I am new to all of this so I really don't have experience to speak of, but from my observation fluffy is neither nauseated or suffering from lack of appetite. He's just being finicky! I also feel this Novolin is not helping him. His body doesn't seem to be responding well to it. I pray this vet will reconsider and work with us and give me a prescription for Levemir.

Any feedback, comments or suggestions?

Fluffy's behavior also seems to be back to his old self before he was stricken with FD. He is active, jumping up on the bed, jumping up on the window purches and playfully pouncing on the other cats. He's not like he was before when he wasn't feeling good laying around, lethargic. And he is negative for ketones for the ReliOn test strips I've been using.

23. Lando demando

Any thoughts i would have are uneducated guesses at best. Lando had some of the same swings Fluffy is having in the beginning. Good luck hang in there, and it sounds like you are doing great at being flexible.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  24. Scarlette & Fluffy

HELP His BG JUST NOW SAID LO!
    What does this mean? What numbers are LO? He is feeding on raw food this morning. In a few minutes I'll see if he ate it, all about 2.5oz

I have been giving him 1U of insulin with his BG being LO, should I continue with 1U at 8:30a?

25. Scarlette & Fluffy

5.12.22 8am
    HELP His BG JUST NOW SAID LO!
    What does this mean? What numbers are LO? He is feeding on raw food this morning. In a few minutes I'll see if he ate it, all about 2.5oz

I have been giving him 1U of insulin with his BG being LO, should I continue with 1U at 8:30a?

26. Lando demando

That may mean that you need to give him med carb foor or a bit of honey or syrup on the gums… tagging members

27. Lando demando

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  28. Lando demando

29. Scarlette & Fluffy

Just now and 11:30 a.m. EST I took Fluffy's BG and it's at 245. it has never been at 245. I will keep checking every 2 hours from now as fast as I can. It's a very busy day in the garden.

@tiffmaxee @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy

30. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Is it possible for you to update your spreadsheet?

31. tiffmaxee

Vetsulin is for dogs. Is it possible to change vets? This shows me she has no clue about cats. You need lantus or Levemir. If currently at 245 that is very safe. Normal bg is 50-120 depending on when the cat last ate. Is Fluffy willing to eat today?

32. Scarlette & Fluffy

Fluffy ate about 1.5 Oz out of 2.5 oz of raw food this morning then I retested him , after test he went to the dry dish and nibble for a minute or two not long at all. His spreadsheet is updated to the current. I just checked his blood 5 minutes ago and he's at 240 if the lowest have been since we started this journey a week or so ago. I'm going to continue to test him every two hours or as close as possible. it is a busy day.

Thank you for your guidance in as much appreciated!:)

33. tiffmaxee

One more question. Did you recheck the bg after you got the Lo? It could have been a bad strip.

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Where on your spreadsheet is the "LO"?

Is it also possible for you to get PM tests. Vetsulin can drop numbers hard and fast so it's important to get at the very least, a before bed test every night.

35. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Okay, this is getting very confusing. This same message about Lo this morning was on a completely different thread. I responded this morning to that asking for a retest, then it was 313 (as I recall) so we assumed it was a bad test strip and all was good with Fluffy. Here is the thread that I responded to about the Lo this morning.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/ear-testing.262969/#post-2948616

It would be so good if we could have a new thread for Fluffy with only new information going forward.

36. Suzanne & Darcy

That's exactly what I said this morning on the other thread! That and more... :confused: confused here

37. Scarlette & Fluffy

Yes. I DID...IT WAS 313..OPPS SORRY BOUT CAPS

38. Scarlette & Fluffy

Yes, I can do bedtime test. We are currently using NOVOLIN-N, the vet won't authorize a change in insulin, might need to change vets a 3rd time

39. Scarlette & Fluffy

I noted the LO in the comments

40. tiffmaxee

Please put the lo in the spreadsheet at the + time it occurred. It the test immediately after was that high I think that you had to have had a bad test when it read lo.

41. Scarlette & Fluffy

The recording for the LO should technically be entered into the amps spot when. I retested him after he'd already eaten it was 313. And since we figured that it was a bad test strip or an incorrect reading I wasn't sure how to record it in the spreadsheet. So do you think I still need to put the LO in the amps spot?

42. Scarlette & Fluffy

I'm sorry if I caused confusion...i didn't mean to. I'm not sure how it happened tho. Where should I post Fluffy's new information?

43. tiffmaxee

Just pick one of the two and link the other. It’s best to have no more than one post a day. Just add a question mark or change the subject if there’s a new question.

44. Scarlette & Fluffy

UPDATE THUR 5.12.22 EVENING

I'm still working backwards 30min increments since Tuesday evening when Fluffy was finicky about eating, he got 1U at 10pm. His usualt time is 7:30p

That said, tonight Fluffy ate a smidgen of his Raw food, walked away. He then nibbled a minute at the dry bowl, not long enough to eat substantially. In an effort to get enough in his belly so I could inject 1U at 8:30, I fed him 1/4th of a 5.5oz Friskies. He ate maybe half. 8:40p I gave him 1U. Retested at 9:35p, his BG was 312. I will retest again before I go to bed around 10:30 or 11 p.m.. Idk why is being really finicky! I ate tuna salad and he wanted some nibbles of that, he ate 2 tsps. That was after his injection. His behavior once again does not display anything alarming. Just finicky.

@11:30pm Fluffy's BG WAS 289...SS UPDATED

@Suzanne & Darcy @tiffmaxee @Diane Tyler's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

45. Suzanne & Darcy

245 is a good numbe
    No worries. I really think you could start a new thread for tomorrow- on this same forum- with Fluffy’s name and the current date in the thread title and any other info/ questions that you may have about the day Then you can copy this previous thread into the body of your message (by copying and pasting from your browser’s address bar).

How is dear Fluffy tonight?

tiffmaxee likes this.
  46. tiffmaxee

Why is he taking Ursodiol? I wonder if he has pancreatitis. Has he been finicky in the past? He could be nauseous.

47. Scarlette & Fluffy

The vet said his liver enzymes were elevated. A thyroid test was negative. She put him on the Ursodiol (sp) for a couple weeks till his next vet appt.

Prior to FD, he's not been finicky thhat I've noticed.....7 cats! In the 30-45 days sins his FD diagnosis min-March, he was great, eating wet food no problem. I could almost say since he was prescribed that Ursodiol. It seems like he's been finicky. If a cat is nauseated, what symptoms do they display? He has not vomited or gagged or anything.

Should I stop giving him the Ursodiol?
    I was with the understanding that with a new diabetes diagnosis that sometimes the liver enzymes are elevated not that I particularly means that he's having another issue. Maybe this vet doesn't know that much about feline diabetes and she's not doing well for him. She was supposed to call me this evening to give me a final answer on if she would authorize a new prescription for Levemir and get him off the Novolin-N. She never called! He is not having any issues with keytones....tests have been negative.

Personally, I think he should come off of that Ursodoul. Hes been on it 2 weeks. The vet said he wouldn't have to be on it forever. . now that he's been taking insulin his liver enzymes hopefully will be in check but it's hard to know that without actually having the vet do another test. However I am not the professional or a vet I'm just going by my observations of his behavior and his Finicky-ness

@Suzanne & Darcy @tiffmaxee @Diane Tyler's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

48. Lando demando

Scarlette, it seems to be really common for many vets not to be that knowledgeable about feline diabetes. They have to be general practitioners with so many different species… this forum has AMAZING up to date knowledge. One out of the three vets at my office seemed well educated.
    Not to be a pest, but the threads in the main forum and FAQ will tell you so very much! Hypo, low carb food tips as well as insulin, needle gauges and home testing are all covered. Also it covers protocol for posting and tagging. It took me a while, but i got the hang of it all eventually.
    Happy fluffy is doing well!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  49. Scarlette & Fluffy

I truly appreciate the help! This whole form thing can be a little overwhelming and it is so much information to take in. Sometimes I feel like my brain is like Jell-O. I will get it eventually but I hope everybody will be patient. It would be so much easier and better if I had a computer and internet at home to process all the information but unfortunately the only thing I have is my cell phone and my eyes get wonky after looking at this for so long. So I'll ask for forgiveness in advance if it takes me a little bit longer than most to get the hang of everything here.

I do appreciate the tips the reminders the comments the feedback any help at all is greatly appreciated. I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my post and comment to help fluffy and I out. A little redundancy in feedback or reminders is not going to bother me.:)

50. Lando demando

Oh im sure you have zero reason to ask forgiveness! I know everyone here wants to help as best as possible!
    Youre on a cell phone for all this. You are amazingly patient!! Well take care and hope you and fluffy have a good night.

51. tiffmaxee

Unfortunately I think you do need a different vet if she’s prescribing Vetsulin which is known not a good insulin for cats and enzymes based upon only one set of labs. I’d stop the enzymes and see if she eats better. At least that will eliminate one problem if it is the cause of inappetence. When cats are finicky they are often nauseous.

52. Scarlette & Fluffy

Fluffy is on Novolin-N, not Vetsulin. Maybe there's little difference between the two, idk. I want her to authorize and write a prescription for Levemir but she has declined so far. Her preferred insulin is Vetsulin. DCIN will not pay for Novolin or Vetsulin!!! Only Lantus or Levemir will DCIN pay for.

53. Suzanne & Darcy

You could try stopping the Ursodiol for a day or two, just to see if Fluffy starts to eat more. There could be a connection. If it helps Fluffy's appetite, then you could speak with the vet about why you discontinued it (hurting Fluffy's appetite). If Fluffy's liver enzymes are elevated (do you happen to know the number(s) for the liver enzymes ... it was probably ALT and perhaps AST on your labs? There are other supplements that are very beneficial for a cat's liver. I recently started one kitty of mine on Denamarin for her elevated liver enzymes. Now that is a pill, but my Ginger is easy to pill. Milk Thistle Powder is very helpful for the liver and is less expensive and can be mixed in food (if Fluffy will eat it.) I wish I could see Fluffy's labs. I do not believe it is uncommon for an unregulated diabetic cat to have some elevated liver enzymes. All of my Darcy's liver enzymes were elevated at the time of his diagnosis. They improved as his BG levels improved. So I think if we can get Fluffy into better BG numbers, the liver enzymes will return to a better range. Also, as I am sure you know, the liver has a great capacity to regenerate.

tiffmaxee and Scarlette & Fluffy like this.
  54. tiffmaxee

I saw she’s on Novolin. I also saw vet likes Vetsulin. That’s my concern.

Max had an elevated ALT but my internist said unless more Tran double the highest range it wasn’t a concern. His seemed to rise from his chronic pancreatitis but never was over the range my vet said might need support.

55. Suzanne & Darcy

My kitty's ALT is currently 311. Top end of normal is 158 for IDEXX.

56. tiffmaxee

Were any other markers high? If my cat I would see how he does without it and recheck the ALT in a month or two if you see any signs he’s not feeling well. That’s what my vet did. Max on'y had a high ALT. it seemed to always be a little high and went higher with pancreatitis flares. @Suzanne & Darcy

57. Suzanne & Darcy

Only the ALT was high. We will recheck the bloodwork in a month and try some antibiotics if still high.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  58. Scarlette & Fluffy

Fluffy Eating Update 5.16.22

It has become apparent that he's being finicky because he doesn't want to eat the Friskies or the Fancy Feast Pate wet food. I have discovered that he likes to eat the Walmart Kitty brand, little chicken chunks and so far he's ate that for two days pretty good.

He is still also nibbling on the dry food. As long as he is eating his wet food I will pick up the community food bowl before I go to bed and he will have to wait till his morning feeding to eat. Fluffy started this journey weighing in at 12 lb 4 oz and now he is up to 13 lb so that's a good sign, I think?

His new vet still has not responded or authorized to switch to either Lantus or Levemir which is my preferred choice I may have to seek out another vet. Meanwhile, Fluffy is still on the Novolin-N, one unit every 12 hours. His BG's don't seem to be normalizing. Can anybody explain to me why? What do we have to change? Am I doing something wrong?

59. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I feel for you. Your vet is being an idiot. It looks like you are really doing an excellent job of testing Fluffy. You really are ready to het a better, more cat-appropriate insulin. As for Fluffy’s numbers, it really just looks as though he needs more insulin as he is mostly in pink and red.

60. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He most likely needs a dose increase, but I would like to see some more tests in the pm cycle to see he’s not dropping at night first.
    And if you can, one test during the am cycle at least. I know it can be hard if you work outside the home.
    I would look for another vet to get either Lantus or Levemir. It’s ridiculous the current vet has not got back to you.
    Lantus and Levemir are much better insulins for cats. Novolin N is not an insulin for cats. It is too harsh and does not last the full 12 hours. You will get much better results and I’m sure Fluffy will feel much better from the Lantus or Levemir.

61. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you for the encouragement! It's been challenging! My current vet had him all wsy up to 4U, its indicated on SS. It seem to mike him spike so forum instructed me to cut back to 2U, then because he wasn't wanting to eat much I reduced to 1U so he didn't go hypo on me.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  62. Scarlette & Fluffy

I'm working a 10hr shift, tomorrow I'm calling another vet!

63. Scarlette & Fluffy

UPDATE: Fluffy is refusing to eat any kind of canned cat food, at least the ones I have on hand which are Fancy Feast and Friskies, all low carb. I offered him some raw food that I had in the freezer that I made and he turned his nose up at that also. He will eat the high carb dry kibble and I guess I have no choice but to let him eat that he has to eat so that I can give him his insulin. But his blood sugar numbers have been in the 400s sometimes 300's and sometimes 500's and I don't believe he is spiking.

I am just beside myself I just don't know what to do. Should I give him wet food even if it's high carb gravy stuff? I don't know if that is worse or better than the dry kibble he's eating which is Purina Naturals.

I will be switching him to Lantus soon when it arrives however I was told that shipment would take about 3 weeks.

Plz advise. This is discouraging.

@tiffmaxee @Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy

64. tiffmaxee

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  65. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bottom line is he needs to eat. So for now give him what he will eat.
    Is it because he doesn’t like wet food or do you think he could be nauseated.? He may need some ondansetron for nausea. Or is he just stubborn?
    There are some low carb dry foods out there if he won’t eat the wet food.
    if you need to feed all your cats the same, you could look at feeding them the low carb dry.

66. Scarlette & Fluffy

I think if the cat was nauseated he wouldn't even want to eat dry food. So for now I have to rule out nausea. I think he's just being finicky. I believe those low carb dry food it's very expensive. It is not feasible for me to pay $60+ for an 8 lb bag when I would have to feed 7 cats! it would not go very far!

67. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I have no idea how much the low carb dry food costs sorry as I live in Australia.
    Is there no cheaper low carb food you can feed them all?
    I will ask @Diane Tyler's Mom how much the low carb dry is, she will know.

68. Scarlette & Fluffy

Thank you!

69. Diane Tyler's Mom

They are all pretty expensive
    https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-cleanprotein-chicken/dp/146269?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12791446238&utm_content=Dr. Elsey's&utm_term=&show-search=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KX73_qN-AIVQ8qUCR2nZQYOEAQYASABEgK1U_D_BwE
    13.97 for a 2 lb bag
    41.87 for a 6.6 lb bag
    https://www.wysong.net/epigen. You can buy it on Amazon or Chewys maybe cheaper there
    Epigen™ Chicken 5 lb. [$19.09]
    Epigen™ Chicken 20 lb. Box [$63.69]
    Epigen™ Chicken 40 lb. Case [$125.38]

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/shop-cat#diabetic

4 lb. 38.00
    8 lb. 57.00
    25 lb 149.00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  70. Scarlette & Fluffy