Ketones in urine at vet office after fasting for dental

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tessa's mom, Apr 25, 2024.

1. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Tessa had a dental cleaning today and I asked the vet to do a diabetes monitoring panel and urinalysis while they had her in the office. My husband picked her up this afternoon and she's been doing very well. She's been extra lovey and happy and she was very excited to eat. I didn't think to look at her bloodwork and urinalysis results until later in the evening after the vet office had already closed and I noticed that her urinalysis said she had ketones at 15mg/dL.

This is the first time I've seen her with ketones and I am very concerned. I hope that they were only present because she was fasted (they said no food after 10pm and her drop off time was 7:30am) but I have no way of knowing for sure. She did get IV fluids during her cleaning but she is not currently on insulin (was in remission, dental issues are causing elevated BG levels).

I have ketone urine test strips and I am going to try and get a test done but she peed when she got home and as far as I know she hasn't drank any water. Any advice on what I should do? Is it okay if I just call the vet first thing in the morning?

Also she has an appointment to get several teeth pulled next week at a different vet clinic and they are requesting an even longer fasting period (no food after 9pm for drop off between 7 and 8am). Should I ask if there's any way to fast her for less time? What if they say no? Do I look elsewhere? They came highly recommended by my vet AND they can get her in very quickly which I don't think I'm likely to find elsewhere.

She needs extensive work (8 teeth need to be pulled) so finding a place that can fit her in is going to be tough as it is. Our normal vet was able to squeeze her in for the cleaning due to a cancellation but they said it would probably be a couple months before they could do this many extractions in a single day.

On the bright side, her blood sugar has come down a bit. Hopefully that trend continues.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

As long as she's eating and not lethargic, you are probably OK to wait until tomorrow to call about the ketones.

I'd definitely talk to the vet clinic doing the second surgery about fasting periods. There are protocols for diabetics (a cat in remission is just a diet controlled diabetic). See the second post here: Info on Dental Procedures (including pictures)

tessa's mom likes this.
  3. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Thank you! I stayed up as long as I could last night and she never peed for me. She is less chipper today than she was last night (I think the anesthetic hadn't fully worn off and her mouth was feeling good) but still in a good mood and eating normally. I'll call the vet as soon as they open today. I'm also going to order a blood ketone meter to have on hand.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

• small or trace levels (15 mg/dl or under)
    • Thus I would not be concerned as long as BG is well controlled and cat is eating and acting normally.

tessa's mom likes this.
  5. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

thank you! All of the documentation on here I've seen says anything above trace is vet worthy which is why I've been concerned. I'm waiting on a call back from the vet now, she was busy when I called earlier.

6. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Vet called back. She said she was not concerned by the ketones because there was no glucose in the urine and she is behaving and eating normally but they did note it in her file. Going to call the other clinic to ask about fasting times on my break later.

7. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

The other clinic approved feeding her up until 4am which is an hour after one of her normal overnight meal times.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Wendy&Neko likes this.