Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Sweet Kitty Boy & Co Member

New memebers, his DX is a week old. He's been hospitalised nearly the whole time. We have an old, lengthy post and instruction to start a new thread when he came home but..here we are. I'm scared. The last post of mine mentions the dr mentioning fatty liver. I know yesterday a tech told me he was on 4u, of what I don't know. He was also getting cerenia and possibly something for appetite stimulus. He just won't eat.

I saw him yesterday, looking a LOT better than the day before but still very out of it. They gave me some deliciously stinky and beautifully textured food to try on him. I had no better luck than the staff. He'd sniff at it a bit but make active moves to get AWAY from it.

I'm alarmed and freaked out that they now want to install a feeding tube. He gave me some spiel about how difficult cats are to syringe feed, how he'd likely become food-adverse or phobic and ..I admittedly tuned him out a bit. My head was reeling. It's the sedation, the invasion and, I hate to say it, cost.

He CAN'T tell me if he's non-ketotic or not. He CAN'T tell me the BS numbers. Says when I call in what HE decided would be half an hour with an answer, that he MAY have tested and have #s by then...

Is this something I should allow or is it possibly incredibly unnecessary. He was admittedly very weak but took assist feeding without any fight. It was just a one time thing though. The next day we rushed him back to vet.

Any insight or suggestion will be hugely appreciated.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry this is happening with your Kitty Boy :(.

I can't say if it's the right thing for KB specifically, but I know that feeding tubes have been incredibly helpful for many members nursing their cats through a DKA convalescence. Even if he was OK with assist feeding before, I think the tube is easier to manage and just sort of a relief to have as an option.

Tagging @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie, who has recent experience with a feeding tube. I am blanking out on other names, but she or others may be able to help you weigh the decision.

Hang in there! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Sweet Kitty Boy & Co likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL I was JUST going to tag her ty Nan!

4. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

whew. Ok, ty. That eases my mind a bit.

Letting it sink in, I saw the logic in what he was saying. I guess I was hoping this could be a smaller hump to get over.
    Unknown complications freak me out, too. I need to do more speedreading on this!

I assume it's always an in-hospital thing? Hopefully some success stories roll in. Holding off on calling back just yet but also waiting on the office to return call.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Ale treated hers at home after the tube was inserted.

6. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

yes! I should have read up before posting but was trying to save time. It look s ZERO fun but doable. Feels more dangerous than it is? I'm assuming it varies wildly how long one needs to stay in or how long it can stay in. Still just in the shallow end of the info pool : /

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can't get him to eat, then another hospital stay is likely to happen in the near future.

A feeding tube is quite simple and ensures that the calories needed are met to prevent DKA reoccurring. Then you can give the insulin required, again to prevent DKA from reoccurring. You can also give meds via the feeding tube. You flush it out with water to clean it. I believe @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie has done one quite recently.

8. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

ty, @Red & Rover (GA) -waiting on the callback, wishing I had immediately gone ahead. He isn't home yet, I hoped to give him a chance to eat on his own once we got him back but since he won't eat for them, they don't want to release him. I get it. I want him getting everything he needs to make his fight easier.

It felt bleak and extreme but I guess I'm learning it's not.

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and I’m so sorry your kitty is going through all of this!

I was a little freaked out about the feeding tube at first too but my mom had to have one in between strokes and I remember how easy it was for her care takers to use it. So, in short super easy and a God send! Syringe feeding can be a nightmare while the tube makes it SO easy because your cat is not even aware it’s being “force fed” are they suggesting esophagus or stomach tube? Minnie had the esophagus tube which is more prone to infections because of the location so you have to clean the area well once a day. Make sure they give you an antiseptic cleaning solution you can use with a cotton pad at home and then rinse with another cotton pad with water. Anyway, the feeding part is super easy and giving meds too because you can blend the food with water in a blender then crush the meds and add to it and it all goes down the tube. I promise you, you’ll be a pro in no time and you’ll be very happy that that’s one less thing to worry about. Diabetic cats have to eat and the feeding tube ensures they do. I’m happy to give you more tips once you know they’re doing it for sure. Like holding up the tube high, flushing water in before and after and holding it up for a minute after all that too because the food can come back up, almost as it they’re burping, and you want to make sure that’s not happening before rolling the tube and “tucking it away”

it will be fine I swear!!

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I say do it. You don’t want to chance it and having to take him back into the hospital. He’s already there and I’d follow their advice

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It heals very fast after it comes off as well!

As you can see it didn’t affect her movements or favorite positions for that matter.

happy to talk on the phone about it if you want!

Attached Files:

12. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

I’ve had a cat with a feeding tube before. While it looks so intimidating, it’s really not that bad. I know for me, checking BG and giving shots was once intimidating, but now it’s no big deal. Just relax, go slow, and you’ll get through this. Just make sure your vet explains it thoroughly before you leave. Maybe the vet can show you and you can video it.

13. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

omg, how gorgeous is Minnie! I'm glad she's feeling better :cat:

And I feel sooooo much relief hearing from all of you. I wish I'd said "go ahead" immediately. He's doing it first thing tomorrow and I can come in to see him later afternoon. It sounded like he expects to keep him a couple more days.

You make it sound so easy, @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie, it's a big weight lifted. As for type, my mother had in her head "nasal" but I don't know where she got that & no one said one way or the other to me in the best convo I had, with the Dr in charge of KB. I also didn't know then to ask. <facepalms>
    For also no reason, I seem to think it'll be esophageal. Either way, I'll heed your cleaning advice. The "burping" thing sounds like a fantastic tip I wouldn't likely get out of a basic tutorial. I'll greedily take all the slick tips like that I can get!

I'm hoping to have him back before the weekend but as that keeps sliding, I won't hope so hard that I "jinx" it. Boy, is this a humbling road. I wish i knew more about tests and results to relay. Some techs are able to provide a little detail, others hardly at all. Just the luck of the draw on a phone call.

The last thing (for the moment) I'm wondering is, how much seclusion will he want/need? Will he be up and about, a semblance of his routine or will he need or want to be isolated. He's never been one to climb the stairs but we do have a drooler. He's pretty laid back, an old dude who I doubt will trouble KB beyond a greeting. While I have the 'luxury' of time, I want to have a safe space for him. He's never wanted one, so doesn't have one. I feel like a bad catmom LOL

videoing is an excellent idea, @NoahFL! Another facepalm moment.

At least I might finally make it to the shower today. But first, a search for diabetic approved cat bribes!

Thank you all for your support and help

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Sweet Kitty is a gorgeous cat too. Look at those big green eyes! :kiss:

okay so I can’t speak for all the other things going on, but at Minnie’s discharge they told me to go along with her level of energy. Meaning that if she felt up to go out on the deck or chasing mice, which she did do one night to my horror, to let her. After the first hospitalization she was pretty low energy, but after the second she did much better. Wish I could post a video! There’s a chance of infection as I mentioned, so indoors only would be best. I only let her out into the backyard under my supervision, even during the mice chasing episode so basically I was chasing them with her like her wingwoman :p
    Btw, there’s a palm face emoji here I think this is it :facepalm:
    The hospital Minnie was at had these big glass windows in the reception so they rolled her out and showed me how to handle the feeding tube through the window as I stood outside looking in. But it was super fast. Definitely no tips at all and even about blending the food the amount of water they told me to use was way too much. Anyway, the other thing that could happen, just so you know and it did with Minnie, is she would decide to get up and walk away half way through the feeding so I found myself trailing her around a few times holding the tube like a maid of honor with a bride’s dress lol. She also managed to unwrap the tube a few times and it would drag behind her till I could grab her and roll it again and secure it with the Velcro. All normal things that could happen and none of them caused any harm or injuries. Anyway, they’ll probably tell you to flush about 5-6 mls of water first to let the stomach “know” food is coming in and to make sure neither the water or food are cold. Then again 5-6mls of water at the end to clean out the tube and make sure all the food went in okay. They shaved her stomach because the plan was to give her the stomach tube but during the procedure the vet said it didn’t look like it was going to work for whatever reason and she felt safer going with the esophagus. I honestly think that worked out better as far as managing it and even for her to be able to lie down, etc. And yes, if they put the tube in tomorrow, they’re gonna want to keep him overnight to observe it as it settles in. Last thing I want to mention, as far as finances because I don’t know that everyone knows is Care Credit. I hadn’t heard of it until this year and it was great because I opened a line of credit and charged all of Minnie’s hospital bills on it. It gives you a year to pay in full with no interest and the minimum monthly charges are very affordable.

Keep us posted!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ha yes shower and sleep here’s hoping!

did I answer about moving around? I’m a roundabout way I guess I did. Minnie was moving, jumping, going up and down the stairs so it will depend on how he feels about everything else. The tube itself shouldn’t make him feel the need to be secluded or groggy.

have you tried PureBites? Both Minnie and Bobo love the shrimp ones and also VitalEssentials Minnows.

16. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

VERY informative, tyvm!

I lovelovelove the visuals :D though I know they likely both came with panic. Even ineffective mouse chasing has to boost the morale though! ..but times and places, check. Ours was quite the hunter. I now realise his decision to spend less to zero time outside was due to his feeling so poorly. If he shows interest, it'll be closely monitored and probably not enough fun to warrant a second go LOL. I don't expect him to want to.

I also bet he'll be a walker-offer, so it's a relief to know that if-but-probably-when that happens, it's okay. We're just doing a procession! If diva boy needs to show off his enhancements a parade across rooms, so be it!

SO far. I can't find any acceptable treats in a bricks & mortar nearby. I thought I was in the clear with his Temptations, but I think those are going the way of the dry food. I read about Purebites just today and wondered about the VitalEssentials. Couldn't recall if they were on the approved list. Same seeming inaccessibility of bonito, too. I guess amazon or maybe chewies can bridge the gap. I haven't used them in a long time but ppl seem to still be enjoying good deals and variety there.

I'm finding out how little I know about the world of treats, let alone healthy treats! ..which is more fun than learning about needle stick success sites and feeding tubes..

I assume raw is not desirable but is plainly cooked or poached chicken A Done Thing? I figure it would be impossible to track calories but maybe cubed they could be a good now and again treat?

I am so grateful for this forum:bighug:

17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I think chicken boiled or baked is fine and a lot of folks here use it as treat. I’m a vegan and can’t bring myself to cook meat at home :nailbiting:

chewy has both I mentioned and they’re freeze dried so it’s fine. There are other flavors to choose from of course but those are the 2 my guys love. I get the Minnows dog size because it’s a bigger bag and more cost effective

https://www.chewy.com/purebites-shrimp-freeze-dried-raw-cat/dp/35172

https://www.chewy.com/vital-essentials-minnows-freeze-dried/dp/121698

:cat:

18. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

aaaah, yes, I can see the conundrum! Nice of these folks to make us tasty noms! I know my guy would probably FLIP for those minnows but I can't stand the barest hint of seafood. Next to "anything with cheese bits", guess what's his fav? Aah, the delicious scent of opening-a-can fish-waft first thing in the morning o_O

"Dog-size me, pls!" says the cat whose head is knee high while I pee ..he doesn't understand :cat:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  19. jt and trouble (GA)

LMAO
    Boiled chicken or ANY protein is 100% safe! My problem is Zoe turns her nose up at ANY human food. I think shes hooked on the chemicals that are in canned. :p:rolleyes:

20. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

mmm, yup, those tasty chems are hard to duplicate!

KB was always showing interest in the weirdest things: pasta, fruit, veggies, anything w/ cheese and any tomato based sauce. Not that he GOT these things, but I always wondered what he was thinking. I guess now I know :oops:

It's so hard knowing and finding what's good! Maybe I'd eat better if I could get him into some chicken bites

21. jt and trouble (GA)

LOL talk about weird my Waldo (avatar) use to steal my pizza!

22. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Minnie likes eating almonds. She tried to steal them when I’m eating. And of course mice :nailbiting:

23. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Thankfully Landypants did an irregular night visit for poor KB had pulled out his IV. Again. During yesterday's visit a lady who told me he hit a bad, LOW number also relayed he's been pulling it out every chance. Now, yesterday I visited a cat who looked practically comatose but was only 3-4h out of anesthesia and adjustign to his new esophageal tube. He was keeping his food down.

Today, when mr man finally called, he says last night they gave him "a half dose" but today he's back to full. The numbers are high but he didn't say HOW high. Mainly he relayed his frustration and softly blamed KB for not "doing enough". Again. There are zero traces of ketone. Again.

He ended with "if he's not eating tomorrow and why, oh why won't this can't respond Right etc. I'm not sure if you're comfortable with sending him home with the tube and really, let's talk about ...."

Hmph.
    I just don't know.

On one hand, I don't want him suffering. This has been a TERRIBLE but short road.
    On the other, I'm very willing to put in the work, to try.

I've had the feeling all along that "I could do better than X", but I know I can't do it alone. I haven't had enough time to leisure read but I've read a fair number of supposed-death sentences handed out and changed to successes by utlising the resources here, of loads of ppl with the Actual Experience and focused info. I'm hoping we can be one those.

I'm pretty sure he's dancing around a nice way of saying he hates my cat for not cooperating, is refusing to admit he's out of his depth and wants to just call it a loss. I'm supposed to go in again tomorrow at 4ish. Fairly certain he's going to push me to euthamise.

Any cheerleading or commiseration appreciated. What little I know is in his meager chart, mostly under labs. I may have a few more notes I recall. I know I wanted to add "cortisone 20min pre-DX".

The power keeps cutting out, I'm'a stop pressing my luck!
    I hope all the kitties are feeling fine and their keepers kept happy too! :cat:

24. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

So sorry you and KB are going through this. I’m going to be your cheerleader and offer my thoughts. He’s in a foreign place and not able to be with you. If you’re up for the task and dedication, he may surprise you and heal better at home. You’re there to watch him and love on him. There is an abundance of expertise here to guide you. You got this! Don’t let the tube feeding scare you. :bighug:

25. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Thank you, Noah! That's exactly my logic! I'm, um, aggressively willing!
    His only health issue is this FD (and a slightly fatty liver).

I wish I could afford to get him on a better insulin, but this is do-able! It's absolutely try-able. I thought the very point of the feed tube was so he could come home and be less stressed. I'd certainly monitor him better. I'm concerned about him not getting the fluids, if he needs em. Otherwise, he'd def get more attentive help & from ppl he actually liked, at home.

Maybe I'm just looking for a little bolster against the guilt trip I feel coming. Do we drop vets like this or take em on an educational tour?

26. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Was this FD due to steroids? My first diabetic cat went in remission on Novolin. Think positive. As many have said, FD is not a death sentence.

27. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Totally your call. You know your vet best. Some are willing to listen and others aren’t. I’ve been fortunate in that respect. My vet is willing to listen to me and I even emailed him some research I did, linked this site and sent him Max’s SS.

28. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

He was brought in for P/u, p/d, weight and hair loss. He had a 2" racing strip down his back LOL -nobody's has admitted that the steroid could/would be a problem and I haven't shrieked that I know how terrible a thing that was to do, on a "gee, idk" whim. Last year he had a respiratory thing he received a cort. shot for, as well as an antibiotic. I do wonder if that episode is what sealed his fate, or helped..

mostly, I blame food. When he was wild and hunting all his own meals, the picture of health. 2yrs of bad, carb laden food and a whole lifestyle change later, well here are! Ready for another lifestyle change XP

29. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Late to the party but I'm doing a little dance! I know they happen, those remissions, but I doubt I'll ever get tired of hearing about them!

30. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m confused as to why your vet won’t let him come home even not eating if he has the tube on now. That’s what the tube is for so you can feed him. Also works for water, i.e. fluids. I was giving Minnie 20mls every time I tube fed her before and after so 40 mls with each meal because they wanted her flushing out all the fluids in her lungs. So definitely not a dehydration risk with the tube on. I’m going to be your cheerleader too and say this, I’d tell your vet you want to bring him home and see what he says and what reasons he’s going to give you not to. If it’s just the eating and drinking just say you want to try it because you think he’ll do better at home. Also, who knows if he likes the kind of food they’re trying to feed him there? Minnie didn’t start eating on her own till I brought her home. I started to use the tube less and less until she was eating all her food on her own and the tube was just for the meds and water.

sending good thoughts!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

31. jt and trouble (GA)

May I interject? In my book ANY vet that BLAMES a cat for being a CAT should be reprimanded. WTH? ??

I agree with NoahFl If youre willing to do the work and believe me you will KNOW after a couple of days of having SKB home, whether or not you should keep trying; I say its your call. Make sure they provide you with explicit instructions ( so you dont blame yourself if things go south) And try. Trying is everything.
    Sending major prayers UP for Sweet Kitty Boy...BTW? I use to call my Waldo Kitty Boy. :bighug:

32. jt and trouble (GA)

Ale will be your best cheerleader. Shes been there done that SUCCESSFULLY.

33. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Looks like you and KB have your own cheer squad :)

34. jt and trouble (GA)

;)

35. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

True dat!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

36. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

@NoahFL , @jt and trouble (GA) , @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie,
    you guys rock! Just ..thoroughly!

Tube wasn't installed until late-ish yesterday, so I begrudgingly understoond THAT overnight ..but not this one. I think I'll start the fight for the records first thing and maybe get an earlier pickup time. Hopefully I can get a striaght answer about what time they've been giving him the insulin. Wildly guessing(sarcasm), it matters.

Ugh, what a sick mix of joy and sad. I think we'll all be relieved when he's home. Bonus, I can stop yowling in the dark and finally get rolling with some numbers!

I can't go showing favoritism, so give all those kitties, civvy or sweet, extra scritches from me.
    Love and thanks x

37. jt and trouble (GA)

Now THATS what I like to hear. You are giving KB a fighting chance and what might be more important he'll be HOME. However this all turns out hes WITH you not stuck in a cage with strangers

shhhhhh...I'd like 5 mins alone with that Vet.:mad:

38. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

To say I'd like to see that would be an understatement! :cool::smuggrin::oops:

It's so disappointing trying to express anger through that darn mask LOL ..then again, it's probably doing me a favor on the diplomatic front :D

39. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

JT is our tough guy officially, but I do have Latin blood so watch out when it reaches a boiling point!

I’m not lying and saying it’s going to be a piece of cake because it’s not in the sense you’ll know he’s not feeling his best and there’s little you can do that can change that. You’ll also have to keep track of the meds and the times, blend food (use a blender don’t even attempt to do it by hand), crush meds (I used one of those spice Mortar & Pestle), clean the tube area, etc. however, you’ll have your baby home and you’ll be in control. That alone is worth a million bucks and it’s what made me keep my sanity and my mind straight through it all. That and the amazing aunties in this forum! You can do this and we’re here for you! :bighug:

40. jt and trouble (GA)

I know what you mean! I hate that people cant see I'm smiling. :D
    Ale is right it aint no walk in the park. She made that clear in her posts. I was AMAZED at her determination and devotion to get this job done. We'll try to help you all we can from afar. :cool:;)

41. Red & Rover (GA)

Getting a copy of the records (not just the bill) is a good idea. Tell them you need to understand just exactly what has/is happening and if there is an emergency during the night or on a weekend, you need to be able to tell the ER vet the history. A written note from the vet is not detailed enough in your opinion. So many things have been at play and are a factor.

42. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Thanks, @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie . I'm under no illusion it will be easy. I tried to get a peek at the site to see what I'd be working with but he was pretty well wrapped.

Lord only knows what they're feeding him, it's been nearly two weeks since he even sniffed the dry stuff. I might be remembering correctly that it's a renal formula. Should I start him with something higher carb, or look for something extra proteiny or...something? His wetfood was/is a very low carb pate but I have some "mild carb" cheats for him, leftover from The Good Ol Days. I think my estimate for how much he should get in a day was a little over 2 cans. I figure that should be spread out 4-6x? But also that it'll all depend on how he reacts to the meds, the food, which I'll better know when I'm testing him as regularly as he'll let. I'm thinking a cat that doesn't feel well won't fight hard, which could help me get "good" at it. I'm near certain he'd simply allow me but am ready for a creature who might go taz devil on me, when he's feeling better. Hell, I welcome it at this point! ..and hope I don't come to regret those words lol I haven't been able to find anything remotely acceptable in the land of dryfood locally available, so I wonder what/if I can leave out overnight. But I'm getting ahead of myself again.

Mortal/pestle, blender already in position.
    Last year, I learned charts are one of my best friends. I just add another one.
    Finding the new rhythm , I'm sure to stumble, but we'll get there. Love a good ritual, me. :bighug:

43. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Thank you, @jt and trouble (GA) , I do feel the love and warmth of the amazing aunties (and uncles too). Re: labs etc, I think I'll copy that speech down and deliver as is. Lightyears more cogent than I'd be, chock full of diplomacy to boot. Can't beat that!

44. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Absolutely to all of it!

so if you’re tube feeding the good news is you can chose whatever food you’d like because he’s not going to taste it.

let me know what the instructions they give you look like. Make sure they give you syringes for the tube feeding and they should give you a few different sizes to experiment with. I had a variety all the way from the jumbo 60mls one to the 10 and 5 mls. A few practical tips for the feeding. Get your syringes all ready before you start, meaning l’d have my 10 ml syringe of pre water, my 2 20 ml syringes or 1 60 ml syringe with the food+meds, and my post 10ml syringe of water laid out on a tray and some more water in a cup too because sometimes there are some pesky food particles that stick to the tube and you may need a little more water to get it all down. You don’t want to have to get up halfway through it because you forgot something or need more of something. I can give you tips on the cleaning too, but basically same deal, have everything you need laid out in front of you. It’s scary to look at first because you don’t know what you’re gonna see, but it’s a lot less scary than you think it will be too.

Minnie really didn’t put up a fight for any of it because as you said, she wasn’t at her best. Now she walks away when she sees my coming with her furosemide in a syringe ha! She would actually stick out her neck like she was trying to make it easier for me to reach and get it all cleaned out. Maybe because it was refreshing to have it cleaned? I often wondered if it itched and maybe my cleaning it helped it stop being so itchy. Anyway, they should also give you the bandages and don’t forget the antiseptic cleaning solution because that really helps avoid infection. I’d always also apply a lawyer of the triple antibiotic cream they gave me at the end. You can use Neosporin but the original formula and not the one with pain relief.

45. jt and trouble (GA)

I bid you both farewell as its time to fix dinner for two legged and four.

46. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

mm, have a delicious nomming, @jt and trouble (GA)! Thanks for sharing your input and sweet heart

47. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

<--adding @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie's tips to @Red & Rover (GA) 's fantastic speech!
    I think I have most things I'll need. Hopefully they give me an armload of syringes and a gentle, surgical soap but counting on very little. Syringes I might be scrambling for otherwise, but can certainly track some more down if I have to. On hand, I have two 10ml and a HUGE one I never needed for a pygmy goat. I have an oatmeal soap htat's probably too...soapy but LIKELY have a gentle surgical soap from my tattoo shop days. Is the cleaning something you did with your fingers, or was there a cotton ball/q-tip/soft towel trick that made easy work of it?

NO PAIN RELIEF! I thought there was a dispute there. I have both, I never knew there was "pain relief" in one until this forum but scoffed at it anyway. Extra ingredients just make a thing more complicated, not necessarily better. Keeping it clean and infection-free will be the goal. I prefer it not hurt, but it feels how it feels and no magic ointment would do much to ease that. Were the cleanings twice or just once daily? I know 'm pelting you with a lot. I've lost a little faith in my vet's ability to communicate..

"Anticipation is (almost always the worst part' -a mantra I used to give customers when I was a body piercer in a past life. "Not as bad as you think it will be" put me in mind of that. Likewise your description of how Minnie started cooperating, how it might have felt "good". An echo of "don't be scared to clean and manipulate it. it'll feel the BEST when it's clean of 'the gunk'". Which IS true! I assume it's no different the species. That job also taught me that while pain can't be entirely avoided, it can be massively minimised by just being confident and "quick". Which is not to say hurried, but to not drag a thing out w/ fear or indecision.

These days I'm just a homebody,
    with plenty of time to annoy my fourleggeds. ;)

48. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

the huge one will be good for the food as you’re suppose to do 45-60mls of food per feeding. Use the 10mls for the water.

I used a cotton oval and dunked it in the cleaning solution, wiped the area around the tube gently but well enough to remove the extra gunk. Sometimes I’d squeeze the cotton pad and let the liquid pour over it. Then another cotton oval with water only to remove all the cleaning solution. I spent a bit more time on that one to make sure I didn’t leave any of the cleaning stuff. I’d also squeeze at the end and sorta flush the water over the wound. I’d dry off the excess water and apply the ointment and then all the bandages and collar back on. I think your tattoo days will serve you well since you should be okay looking at bloody messes haha! It won’t be bloody at all you just have to keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t look infected. Once a day does the trick! Try to keep the actual tube clean too. I’d sometimes dunk the tube opening in water to clean it out from all the excess food that may stay there. You’ll see what I mean because the tube is long enough that you can do that without water going in when your keeping it horizontal not vertical.

Minnie never acted like me handling it or even cleaning it hurt at all. I mean she dragged the thing around more than once lol!

Ask as many questions as you need to! Please use me as a resource!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  49. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And the surgical soap you have should be fine. If it’s not liquid, I’d dissolve it in water so it’s easier to apply

50. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Charlie has a feeding tube 3 different times. The first one was a PEG tube (goes directly to the stomach through the cat’s side) and the others were esophageal tubes (e-tubes) that went into his neck.

I’m a big fan of them and have NO regrets. They most certainly helped Charlie.

Feeding tubes can be a lifesaver and help a cat through a difficult time. When Charlie had his feeding tubes, he didn’t have anything terminal going on medically, he was just very, very ill and needed an “assist” to get over the hump. To the unfamiliar, feeding tubes can sound scary and like one is taking desperate/crazy measures in a hopeless situation, but that a misperception. In reality, feeding tubes are a fantastic, and reasonable, tool that can literally save lives. I think vets sometimes want to have the “e” conversation either because they don’t know what to do or because they can’t fathom that a pet owner would have the commitment or constitution to go the extra mile with [insert scary sounding treatment or one that takes a little effort or time].

If a cat hasn’t eaten in quite some time, you might need to start slow with multiple smaller meals. See what your vet recommends and go from there. It never hurts to get opinions from others who have been down that path.

I found the first few times feeding were the most daunting, but that’s because it was unfamiliar and was afraid I’d screw up. I had the vet demonstrate the process before we left the clinic. I had a great vet whom I trusted so, as before, feel free to run the instructions past others for reassurance.

The food was a high-calorie canned food from the vet. It was very easy to emulsify so that it would go through the feeding tube (some foods have small chunks that, even blended, clog the tube). It was important to have the higher calorie because we were limited in the volume we could feed per day so wanted each ml fed to be as calorie rich as possible.

If the liver is involved (hepatic lipidosis??), did the vet suggest any supplements, such as Denamarin? That’s commonly used in those cases.

It sounds like you have the willingness and determination to do this. Good luck!

Also... I suggest you monitor blood glucose very carefully, especially if you are using N.

51. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I totally agree the first time was daunting. Just getting the food in the syringes was a nightmare. But you’re right, the consistency is key to get it blended well. My issue was more that the small chunks would clog the syringe and I couldn’t fill it up rather than the tube. I was using the FF pates and I’d also blend 2-3 cans at a time so my Vitamix had volume to work with. Then I’d refrigerate the leftover and would refill the syringes as needed for the feedings and leave them out in advance so they’d get to room temperature.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  52. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

Orig reply deleted.

I appreciate all the great tips and info. Unfortunately, as I was responding I'm told KB passed away. I'm shaky, lightheaded and swirling with I don't know what so forgive my tactlessness. I've known a lot of special cats, held them all dear, know this day always comes... this one's hitting me harder than most. He was so young,healthy & strong. Trying not to take on too much blame. At least he's not miserable, my massive, mole-munching monster of love.

Thank you all, for everything you did to help. I'd have been even more lost without you.

53. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

I am so sorry. Cherish all your beautiful memories of him and I pray that will give you some comfort. Sounds like he was one well loved little and special little guy.

54. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Devastating. Heartbreaking. I am so, so sorry. :( :( :(

Your love for your little guy was so strong. If only that were enough, then all our kitties would live forever. You did everything you could for him, and he knew how much he was loved.

cat_wings>o

55. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I am so so sorry to hear about Sweet Kitty Boy, my heart goes out to you. Fly high sweet boy cat_wings>o:bighug:

56. jt and trouble (GA)

(((((((Ana))))))) Having a good cry will respond in a bit.

57. Red & Rover (GA)

I'm so, so sorry. We were all hoping so hard that he would pull through. Don't forget to look after yourself in the coming days. :bighug:

58. Red & Rover (GA)

:bighug:

59. jt and trouble (GA)

Dear Kitty Boy,
    Sometimes we meet "special" kitties here. They just seem to grab our hearts and playfully wont let go. You are one of those kitties.
    I want you to know, your mom did everything she could, to keep you healthy. She is steadfast and a fighter. She would do no less for you. Its hard to accept that it was, "Your time" and I know its breaking your mommies heart, you had to leave. Please let her know you arent really gone. She needs to know that. She needs to know... She can bring up a memory and you will be there. Let her know in the quiet of the evening...you are there.
    With the sunrise...you are there.
    Deep in her heart...you are there.
    Through her tears...you are there.

Ana I just want you to know, when you are down we are here.
    When you need to scream or vent...we are here.
    When you are ready to laugh...we are here.
    When you need a shoulder...we are here.

Ana
    I want you to know if I passed away tomorrow and a little dirty kitty came to your door, I hope its ME in my next life, looking for a mommy.
    :bighug:
    jeanne

60. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

I saw your thread late last night and just came to check with great hope that the situation had improved in some way. I am so heartbroken to read that your sweet, sweet Kitty Boy passed away.
    I am very sorry for your loss and am sending prayers your way :rb_icon:

61. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m so very sorry for you loss Ana. It breaks my heart and I know how shattered yours must be, but we are here for you - no one could have said it better than JT. He’ll always be with you, in your heart and in your memories. There’s a kitty angel looking out for you now and I hope you find comfort in knowing you gave him the best possible life and got all that unconditional love in return

RIP KB :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

62. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

I am so sorry to hear about KB

63. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Ana I am heartbroken for you to hear KB passed away. I was so hoping he would pull through.
    Fly free KB you were much loved cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

64. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

:bighug: @Aleluia Grugru & Minnie, @Bron and Sheba (GA), @NoahFL, @JL and Chip, @Nan & Amber (GA), @Red & Rover (GA), @Diane Tyler's Mom, @Tomlin, I'm sure to be forgetting a few and @jt and trouble (GA), a fresh round of tears for such a beautiful tribute. I'd be a lucky kitty in the next life to find my way to your porches or doorsteps. The amount of love here is astounding. I know he'll always be with me. He's got some good company oer the rainbow bridge. More furballs than I can count and at least one guitar strumming man. That guitar was a big part of what wooed him into "our world", I know it greeted him in the next.

I swore I'd dig no more graves, but MAN is it cathartic. We placed him beneath a lovely weeping willow planted over another notable four-legged many yrs ago. If my avatar looks to his left, the garden path leads right to it. It overlooks our pond and the fields he used to hunt. He's watched the asteroids with me there LOL We still will.

With him I placed who knows how many of these origami cranes. Folding 1000 is said to grant anything from a wish, good luck to long life and health or recovery from a malady. I just know I like folding them. They've been spread across the world, some I burn, some I used to set to sea but no longer. They make great packing peanuts or beaded curtains. Too many have gone in dedications like this. Folding and relasing them is something I sometimes do for another in a bad spot. I hope none of you ever need em, but know I'm thinking of you, if in a dark spot, and at LEAST 1000 of these guys sit in a "puddle" wanting to lighten your burden and grant these damn wishes they promise!!!

These pictured are rather monotone. I gave him this year's entirety, a riot of greens and blues. My weirdo liked cool tones, as if he knew how good they made him look ;)
    crnes.jpg

My heart hurts. My brain is feebly thumbing at how to get this infernal medicine I have to someone who NEEDS it. Likewise the ketostix, bugger-to-find lancets, the horde of syringes, 2 unopened and 1 barely used bottle of test strips...the covid-prep extra food bags, yikes! I can't in good conscious give that to ANYone, but figure the no-kill could use it. Maybe there's someone even less well resourced..

I hope every kitty is safe tonight! Not sure I'm up to poking around to see for myself this eve.
    Give all your furbabies some extra scritches from me <3
    Ana

65. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Ana I've been quietly watching your thread all week and I'm just heartbroken to hear the news about KB. I feel like we've lost more sugar cats in the past couple months during this pandemic than we have the entire time I've been here. The loss of KB has me in a puddle of tears right now. You two are family. I am so sorry for your loss. It is our loss too.

His place of rest sounds beautiful, and I love your little origami cranes. Blues and greens, our favorite colors around here. :bighug: I think I'll make one for my little girl too.

You gave KB 110%, what a wonderful cat mom you are to him. You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

66. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Just beautiful Jeanne :bighug:

67. Paula and Rocky

Paula and Rocky Member

I just read this thread and I'm so so sorry your KB had to leave you today. My heart is broken for you as well. What a great mom he had in you, I pray your heart is lifted and healed by the memories of him and in knowing the blessing you were to him and he to you . Rest well Sweet Kitty Boy.:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

68. Sweet Kitty Boy & Co

@Panic and @Paula and Rocky (my mom and 1st childhood dog's names!) , thank you for your kind words. I know he had a lot of ppl rooting for us. We did the best we knew how, there's nothing more one could ask.

Indeed, @Panic, these pandemic horrorshow times we're in are NOT doing these kitties, or ANY one any favours. I've been keeping up with your travails as well, hoping for some chinny-chin-chin relief. My fresh stack of blues & greens goes to you! (And any sugarcat I'm hoping the best for or willing from afar back into safe numbers or abated complications.) Looks like there'll be some lemon popping out now and again. Very accidental on-season!

Every time I read a cat in danger or troubled, my heart sank with them. Every victory also felt a little "mine". I learned so much, so fast, and it's still nothing! The custodians of the furry friends here are all nothing short of amazing. There is NO question why each of these furballs chose each and every one you. [we badly need a heart emoji!]

69. Paula and Rocky

Paula and Rocky Member

I agree we DO need a heart emoji here and I also vote for Oragami Crane emoji's!!!:bighug: for now Rocky and I send you a big hug :bighug:

70. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ana.

71. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

72. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.:bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.