Just joined

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LadybugQ, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadybugQ

LadybugQ New Member

I' glad that I found this website. I have 3 rescue cats, one of whom is a diabetic, and until recently managed with Lantus, 2 units, 2x/daily and Purina DM since March 2013. I took Nugget to our vet 2 weeks ago. All blood work was within normal range. I thought he might be tired of the DM, and have tried all sorts of food. Today I noticed that his lips were yellow, and I could see at least one ulcer. He usually will eat anything, if I don't keep him separated at meal times from the other cats. He does drink water. BTW, he had almost all of his teeth removed. When I took him to the vet, the vet did examine his mouth, and we talked about Nugget's lack of teeth not stopping him from eating........until now.
    Unfortunately we are away from our family vet, but will find someone nearby to examine him.

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. :bighug:

Your comment about the yellow lips jumps out at me. Jaundice can develop very quickly if a kitty is not getting enough to eat. How is Nugget's eye colour...are the whites of the eye WHITE or do they appear YELLOWISH?

Are you doing glucose testing at home and are you testing the urine for ketones at home?

I have a kitty with only her fangs left and she is able to eat fine. There could be dental issues under the gums, but the yellow skin colouring is a big red flag.

MrWorfMen's Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

The other possibility is what is known as a "rodent ulcer" which could be causing pain and the yellow lip discolouration especially if it has become infected. I'd get Nugget off to the vet ASAP to rule out any liver/infection issues.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.