Just got diagnosed - question on diet

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dmn, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Dmn

Dmn New Member

Hi all, my 17 year old was just diagnosed with diabetes and we've been prescribed 2 units of caninsulin twice daily. (which I'll reduce to 1 unit based on the recommendation here)

However, I would like to ensure that I've gotten his diet correct.
    Last night he measured 436 pre-shot and 327 post-shot. This was his first shot of insulin ever which the vet gave him 2 units of.

He was then fed his diet of boiled chicken breasts and liver mixed with tuna with brine and fish oil. He's been on this for the last week.

12 hours later, this morning he measured 490 pre-shot.

Does this indicate an issue with his diet? Or is it normal for the body to produce some glucose to compensate for the dose of insulin at the start.
    I'm struggling to find more ways to cut down carbohydrates even further.

Thanks!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry no one answered your post. You need to repost on the main health page, not here.

Rupert likes this.
  3. OFWLWC

OFWLWC New Member

What do you define as "brine"? As a former chef, It means a ton of salt and/or sugar. VERY BAD FOR ANY CAT! Save yourself the work, guessing at the nutrients in homemade food. I found 2 no-low carb excellent foods Fancy Feast Classic pate or Tiki Cat's chicken or fish - if you want to see the real meat and spend a bit more. Use a Carb/nutrician calculator on all foods!!
    My Rain is starting to remiss! He was diagnosed Nov 16, 2023 - 640BG. It took me until December 1 to switch his diet, now on 3 cans of Fancy Feast per day, amount for his "ideal" weight. . I tried set feeding times, all it did was stress him and I out, since he never had meal times in his life! He eats when he wants, stress free. I put down a new can in clean glass/stainless bowl when he's finished previous can, except at night, I mix the last bit in bowl into his last can of day to keep up his calories.
    Morning BG down to 140 - 170 from mid to high 300s. Midday down to 128- 160 from high 200s. Night is down to mid 200s from mid 400s.. Down to 1U of vetsulin at night - No other meds, or foods. I chose my food based off nutritional values of mice and birds. Both FF and Tiki come closest!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Reason for edit: Typos
    BatGirl and Rupert like this.