Just getting my thoughts out there

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KyraCat, Aug 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

So Kyra is now on 2.25 after 2units wasn't quite cutting it. I think we were doing really well until we got to our last tin of Feringa which he really just would not eat. That means for the past 2 days he has been solely on Whiskas wet food which was fine until, as of last night he wouldn't eat that.

I was worried he had lost his appetite as he just wouldn't eat it but then I put his tub on tuna (which is usually his treat after BG tests) and he went to town on it. After that he did have some whiskas out of his bowl. So clearly he is hungry.

This morning, same problem, wouldn't eat the whiskas just had a bit of the jelly. So I tried to give him some tuna, wouldn't eat it. Put the tuna on top of his food wouldn't eat it still. Put 5 bits of dry food on the whiskas and tuna and he ate out of his food bowl for 20 minutes.

His new Feringa food (a flavour he was wolfing down before we ran out) came today I put a little in his bowl and he wont eat it. He could just not be full now after eating most of his breakfast at about 8am....Plus he has probably had a bit more tuna then usual as I'm doing more tests to make sure he isn't dropping too low with an emptier than usual belly.

I'm hoping at tea time he is hungry again and eats his food but I am already stressing that he won't. Maybe he can sense my stress?! I hate having days like this, they always seem to come so quick after feeling really good about our progress. I also don't know if he looks skinnier again or it's my mind playing tricks on me. Weigh day is on Friday so I'll know for sure then.

I'm OK with his BG results. The low numbers on 2.25 I put down to not having had much food and the higher numbers I don't mind as I guess he'll be having a little bounce from the blues and the fact Whiskas is much higher in carbs than Feringa. I feel like I know all of this is OK(ish (part of the journey)) and I understand it all I'm just in one of those negative frame of minds today, I guess.

Must pull myself together!!! lol

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of musical food bowls!:rolleyes: Zoe does this daily. I think shes secretly being paid by the different cat food manufacturers. :confused:
    All kidding aside... It sounds like hes hes hungry but not quite feeling up to par. Maybe a hair ball? Maybe gas? sigh ...Wanting to eat then turning away . I know others will have more ideas. Hang in there! (like you have a choice:rolleyes:)
    j

3. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks Jeanne! He is for sure having me on in some respect - little devil! lol

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I genuinely laughed out loud at this! :D

Great description, Jeanne. :cool:

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

Hey i LIVE it. :rolleyes:
    Zoe is the biggest stinker with food. Waldo AND Trouble use to gobble everything put in front of them Zoe? Not so much. :mad:

Critter Mom and KyraCat like this.
  6. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Fab isn't it!! I love some of the things people come out with on this message board!

I'm not getting my hopes up but we just had a big hairball sick and he seems a touch perkier and he's come to join me downstairs now (then he got attacked by his brother - but he's still down here)

7. jt and trouble (GA)

out pops the hairball down goes the food. Its like MAGIC:smuggrin:

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Fingers crossed!!!

On a completely unrelated note - I am so pleased I got my back up gluco reader kit, ready for if ever we had a hypo. I only went and broke the spring on my usual lancet device!! The new new back up is now on it's way from Ebay. Thank goodness for back ups!

9. jt and trouble (GA)

10. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

He still isn't eating much...
    We had a trip to the vets to have his claws clipped so I don't know if he's stressed.

The food I can get him to have he is only licking at the jelly/Gravy could it be dental?

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Dental is something your vet should have checked. Me thinks its more a tummy issue? IDK
    Sending prayers and positives!
    j

KyraCat likes this.
  12. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks Jeanne <3

Think I'll call the vets tomorrow and see if they can check him out - where we take him for his manicure is not his usual vets.

We were getting on so well. I'm definitely having a bad time of it today, not sure about Kyra he's asleep without a care in the world.

13. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

See what happens if you raise the food bowl about 4-6 inches.
    An overturned biscuit tin works (most have a rim on the bottom side that helps prevent dishes sliding). As does a stack of books or phone books destined for recycling (they can get cat food grubby).

He might accept food from your raised hand.

These are suggestions given for a nauseous cat. No creature, human included, wants to lower their head if they are nauseous.

14. KyraCat

KyraCat Member

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have raised food bowls but he has stopped eating from them. I was putting food on a spoon for him today under his nose but he wouldn't eat it until I put it on the counter for him so had to lower his head....

Just putting it out there, though doubtful, this only started after we upped his dose by .25 - he needed the increase as the 2units weren't enough to keep him as he was. But is this a possible cause - even though his numbers don't reflect it. Sorry that seems like a pointless kind of question to ask!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.