Joint medicine for an older cat that won't cause vomiting?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hellolucy, Aug 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

I'm looking for a joint medicine and recently tried the popular Nutramax Cosequin tablets, but Lucy vomited each time I sprinkled the powder from the capsule on her food. I'm not sure what ingredient would cause that (contained Glucosamine Hydrochloride 125 mg, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate 100 mg, Manganese 1mg), but noticed there are quite a few other reviews indicating their cat had the same reaction. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that have helped their kitties?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh Lucy is ADORABLE! I will be interested in what advice follows. I was noticing my little old Zoe was having a hard time laying down. Thanks for asking this question.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

4. hellolucy

hellolucy Member

Thank you so much! As an update, I ended up purchasing GlycoFlex Stage III chews, which she tolerates very well and it doesn't seem to spike her numbers. It's too soon to tell if it is helping, but at least she's not throwing it up like Nutramax...the other commendation I received from her vet for severe issues is Adequan, which is an injectable.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! Give your baby some scritches from me pleeezeee

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Adequan injections may be helpful for your cat! My cat Emily is on them for a chronic knee injury and they work really well for her.

7. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Adequan is really good! Very successful in cats and you inject the same way you would insulin. There is a loading dose, about 8 doses in the first 4 weeks, then once a month unless you determine more often is needed.

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

ADEQUAN ADEQUAN ADEQUAN--it is a life changer-there is a loading dose and well worth it-Dre is 21 and still uses our (many) stairs and gets on bed and couch-I started him at 16. The sooner you start the better.
    the dasaquan and other supplements are good too -essential fatty acids etc... but in my opinion nothing beats adequan.
    All together is totally fine too but if you want to know what works I personally would add 1 at a time and look for hidden sugar --krill oil is good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.