JIll & Jade here...rapid bg rise in a very short time OTJ since 7/2018

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Jade, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Good morning.
    I just updated Jades SS and I'm so upset about this sudden BG spike. She went into remission after a diet change and very brief insulin regiment back in 2018. She does have thyroid issues and takes 1.25 mg of Methimazole twice a day in the chews that are specially made for her at Wedgewood pharmacy. She has recently had a chest x-ray for a mild (yet odd sounding) cough and my in-home vet sent those in to a radiologist who said she has mild asthma/bronchitis. My vet (Dawn) put her on a 3 week regimen of Amoxicillin to see if that would help as opposed to trying an inhaler as she said that may bring on her diabetes again. This past Monday, Jade went back in for a follow up x ray and also some blood work to check her thyroid as we had tweaked her meds to 2mg about a month ago. She called me last night and told me that her bg was 290!!!!! Just 9 days earlier it was only 109!!
    Dawn said she was hoping that it was just due to the stress of being crated and going to the vet. Jade gets VERY upset when we do this, that's why I have a house call vet. But she had to travel for the xrays. I gave her a half of gabapentin for the trip. That med always messes her up for days even when she only gets half a capsule. I am terrified that i will have to start insulin again. I just can't imagine how this could happen so quickly.:nailbiting::( She is almost 17 years old. She does have early stages of kidney disease as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. Do you still have your bg meter? I would get some strips and start testing before she eats at amps and pmps. When possible get another test about 4 hours after eating. Do any of the medications contain sugar?

3. Jill & Jade

Hi. I’ve always kept the AlphaTrak meter and test strips as I poke her monthly just to be sure she’s ok. She isn’t on insulin again. Yet. This is a very recent development. She’s never tested high since remission until VERY suddenly this past Monday. I have no idea what has caused this spike. The vet is ordering a fructose test to see how this rise started. The only meds she’s on are the thyroid and lactulose. I stopped the lactulose yesterday when I was alerted to her high BG number.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Elise, I would definitely retest at home. I had a non diabetic cat test over 220 at the vet's clinic, and 53 the next day at home (human meter). I have even seen a kitty here on an OTJ trial go over 400 from a car ride, and come down on his own the next day.

The fructosamine gives you an average over the last couple weeks, not sure how it'll tell you how it started. It does help tell you if this is a one-off or a rising trend.

We have kitties here taking lactulose without it impacting their BG's. If she needs it to prevent her from becoming constipated, give it to her. Constipation can also raise the numbers.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  5. Jill & Jade

Hi and thanks for the response. After I spoke to Dawn, I did test her. Last night was 325 and this morning was 360. So… she went from 109 on the 9th to 290 on the 18th. Then the 2 tests I’ve done since speaking to Dawn ( my vet).
    She agreed that stress could affect her number but it’s rising by the day.

6. Jill & Jade

Also, behavior wise she seems good. Playing, peeing, pooping ( has always had an issue with this tho) purring and preening. She has slowed down a bit but she’s also almost 17.

7. Wendy&Neko

Rising numbers at home aren't good. How are her teeth? ( a common reason cats fall out of remission ). Is she still eating the same food as before?

When did she start the Amoxicillin? Any chance the preparation has sugar in it?

8. Jill & Jade

Her teeth are absolutely awful but she doesn’t do well under anesthesia. Her amoxicillin is cut into quarters and wrapped with her thyroid chew med and a feline greenie pill pocket. I have used them for a very long time and she’s never had an issue. She absolutely hates anything being done to her and will only take a pill if it’s wrapped in a pill pocket. I even have to combine the chicken flavored thyroid chew into a pill pocket.

9. Wendy&Neko

At least the amoxicillin isn't liquid, it's those that sometimes are done in syrups. For a kitty with bad teeth, but cannot do dentals, sometimes a pulse dose of antibiotics can help if there is infection/inflammation. Anyway, sounds like a discussion with the vet on possible causes for higher numbers.

10. Jill & Jade

I will definitely talk to her about it more. She’s off today but will hear from her tomorrow, hopefully.

11. Jill & Jade

And yes, she’s still eating the same even tho I know her teeth must be uncomfortable for her.

12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Greenies are high carb. There used to be one flavour that wasn't, but it was discontinued.
    Would Jade accept meds stuck into a piece of soft cheese?

Jill & Jade and tiffmaxee like this.
  13. Jill & Jade

I can try, but I’m guessing not. She only gets one pill pocket twice a day. I used to give her the hair all greenies, but stopped those because of the carbs. I’ve been giving her the exact same treats/ meds for over a year and she has NEVER had a spike. I’m so worried.

14. Jill & Jade

Just got home and she’s at 387. I just don’t get it. My poor baby.

15. Scdal

Scdal Member

Your cat sounds a lot like mine. Phoenix is 17 years old and also has a cough. His blood work is usually fine but the vet has given me amoxicillin on and off for over a year. This was because I was worried. The antibiotics made no difference in his cough. The vet has diagnosed Phoenix as having allergies. He recommended giving Zyrtec and this has helped tremendously with his cough. He still has days where he coughs and sneezes, but the cough is not as deep and he doesn't sound congested. It is upsetting since he will go sometimes a day or two with hardly coughing and then start coughing again.

My cat also has issues with his BG rising for no identifiable reason. Phoenix is doing this right now. If I were you, I would try not to worry too much even though it is hard not to. It concerns me a lot also. But, after a year of going through this, I really try not to dwell on it.

I am going to follow your posts from now on. Maybe we can help each other. I am glad I read your post. I haven't seen any other cats that seem to have these issues.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please remember that if Jade's numbers don't come back down, diabetes is treatable. Not treating the diabetes is a problem and has long term negative consequences.

I would also talk to your vet about the choice of antibiotic. If Jade's teeth are terrible, you may need a different antibiotic.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  17. Jill & Jade

Hi! Thank you for reaching out. We sure do love our fur babies. Her numbers are still way up. She even had a 461 this morning. Sadly, we will be going back on Lantus ( 1 unit twice a day)in the next day or two. I took the day off of work so I could monitor her. I’m so bummed for her and me both. :(

18. Jill & Jade

Her numbers are still way up. She even had a 461 this morning. Sadly, we will be going back on Lantus ( 1 unit twice a day)in the next day or two. I took the day off of work so I could monitor her. I’m so bummed for her and me both. :( I have a new Vet that will ( hopefully) help me keep her safe. I’ll also start posting here again, daily. You were all SO helpful when she was first diagnosed. I never could have led into a quick remission without this site. She was only on insulin for a couple of months! I’m hoping for another remission, but know that’s not as likely the second time around.

19. Jill & Jade