Jenny: 9/22 PMPS 137

JennyAnyDots

Member Since 2026
Hi, I'm Sandra and my kitty is Jenny, 9 yr, diagnosed 9/4/26. She also had high keytones 5.4 at diagnosis so I have to keep a close eye on that. She has been to the vet after Week 1 and Week 2 for curves, and now I'm ready to take over. The vet said because I'm testing AMPS and PMPS that we don't need to return for a month unless there are problems. I printed my (meager) spreadsheet for her, and she liked it.

Short history: Jenny started on 2u, then after 6 days the curves were high (see SS), so vet moved her to 3u. After 2 days I called vet because now it's all too low, so vet moved BACK to 2u until curve at Week 2 (today).

AMPS today was 219, then 2u PZ and food, then vet curve of +2=175; +4=134; +6=221. Vet said it was perfect, stay at 2u, call if problems.

This evening PMPS was 185 so I did not shoot. I'm afraid this is just going to yoyo (tomorrow chasing high numbers) so want to get on the right track. What I should have done is waited a bit to test again and see if BG went up. I failed this, because I fed Jenny. I wasn't thinking after I said "no shot tonight" to myself.

I am now consistent with testing (6 days) so I feel like I should stay on 2u, and get some more testing history. So help me out, what are my next steps? I'm ready to follow this protocol.

I'm using AlphaTrak3. Thank you all.
 
Hello and Welcome. I will be back in the mo with more questions and information, but she probably will be high tomorrow due to the skipped shot tonight. It’s all right, we can get her back on track! Two units is a high starting dose (and it’s definitely not wise to increase by entire units at a time at this juncture). I am glad you are back down to 2 units. Please monitor Jenny carefully though because it may also be too much as she stabilizes. I am happy to see some lower ketone numbers. Great job getting up to speed with the testing! Now you can keep her safe. I would advise holding this dose for now and testing frequently to try and catch her nadir.

Please feed her a small snack at +2 and +4 also. More on all of this tomorrow. It’s 12:31 a.m. here now and I must get some sleep. I look forward to talking to you tomorrow!
 
Thank you! This morning she was 453, after such a pretty day yesterday. I knew she would go high. This yoyo is what I want to learn to stop. I appreciate your help.
 
PMPS 137 (pet meter). So no shot tonight. That makes 2 nights in a row that she has been too low to shoot, last night's followed by her highest AMPS yet this morning. She didn't eat great all day today, but she did eat some pate and chopped chicken. I'm probably used to her inhaling her food so "normal" appetite feels like too little.

How do I get her off this yoyo? I think I need to do a home curve, will try that tomorrow pending morning reading. Thanks!
 
PMPS 137 (pet meter). So no shot tonight. That makes 2 nights in a row that she has been too low to shoot, last night's followed by her highest AMPS yet this morning. She didn't eat great all day today, but she did eat some pate and chopped chicken. I'm probably used to her inhaling her food so "normal" appetite feels like too little.

How do I get her off this yoyo? I think I need to do a home curve, will try that tomorrow pending morning reading. Thanks!
And yes. You need to test at home more often than just the AMPS and PMPS preshot numbers. One day’s cycle (at the vet where cats often run higher than at home due to stress) is not necessarily the same as the next. We need to see daily data in order to see patterns over a period of time. Even at home you may test and one day your cat may be bouncing and high. If you choose that day to do a curve you may believe more insulin is needed. Then your kitty clears the bounce and comes down and you have already increased the dose.
 
We have no idea what her nadir was today, so we can’t know if she went too low or not. That is information we need if you are at home to get it. If she went too low then you would need to decrease her dose. Does this make sense?
 
Okay. I think you have gone away for the night. I am sorry because we perhaps could have shot a reduced dose to keep her from being quite as high in the morning.

If you get a high AMPS tomorrow (and with a skipped shot tonight you should) and you give her 2 units (which may be too high for her at this time) it is very important for you to get a few mid-cycle tests tomorrow. A +4 and a +6 would be extremely helpful to us!
 
Hi Suzanne, I'm still here. Jenny ate some chopped chicken after her test, so is it ok if I test her at +4 or should I test her sooner? I'm in Central time zone, so I just tested/fed her about an hour ago. My shot times are 9am/9pm. I will do a +4 and +6 tomorrow for sure.
 
Great job getting those tests done today! Beautiful greens. Now, if she has a lower PMPS, we should talk about doing a reduced dose for the evening. As long as you can monitor the cycle for a while it will be okay.

Also, since you are following the start low go slow protocol for now (and I would recommend it for a few weeks to a month while you gather data on the spreadsheet) she has earned a reduction per SLGS … a .25 unit reduction down to 1.75 units.
 
Wow, I was just typing my update when you posted. Thank you! I added the +8 to make sure she started coming up, which she did. I will let you know PMPS at 9 central, is that too late for you?

thanks again. It's so helpful to have someone looking at this. I appreciate you!
 
Your sweet little girl is doing so great! And you are too! Her duration is really good. I see a lot worse spreadsheets than Jenny’s— especially in the beginning. I am very optimistic for Jenny to do well on ProZinc. If she is in a blue number this evening, we should try a reduced dose for the evening. Let’s see what it is.
 
It would be very helpful if you could start getting some early testing done as well we should know when she starts to onset. ProZinc will onset around +2 in most cats. I think it looks the same for her, but we should know this. If, on different days, you can vary the times that you test…. One day a +2 and a +4 and another day a +3 and a +5 or a +7, etc. we will be able to fill in a little picture of how she’s doing and understand her patterns better.
 
It’s a good time to talk about bouncing. High numbers do not always mean more insulin is required, and we must be careful. The high numbers you are seeing now are a bounce.

A bounce is where the cat's body reacts to lower numbers that she is not used to being in anymore... since becoming diabetic. It's a protective mechanism where her central nervous system perceives either a steep drop in blood glucose or simply being in lower numbers, and releases adrenaline, cortisol, glucagons and growth hormone, all of which create insulin resistance and can keep numbers high for up to six cycles (the bounce). Bounces don't have to last that long, but in some cats they will. Over time, many cats will start to clear the bounces more quickly. When the bounce does clear, the BG numbers will come back down and give us an accurate picture of what a dose is doing for Jenny!
 
Hi Suzanne, I tested at +6, then I had to leave for a few hours so couldn't get +10. I'll be testing again in about 35 minutes. Thanks for the details on the bounce, I feel a lot better about where she is now vs. a week ago. Tomorrow I'll test her at +2 and +4. I'm a bit worried that she's not eating well, since I introduced cooked chicken thighs chopped up for her treat, that's all she wants now. Takes a few bites of her pate then looks all sad. Ugh. Still drinking plenty and acting bright and normal.
 
Back
Top