? Is the scruff of the neck still the most common place to inject?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sprkl, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprkl

Sprkl Member

Hello,

I just found the following that seems to suggest that because of the limited capillaries/veins in that region, it may not provide the best absorption.
    (source): https://petdiabetes.fandom.com/wiki/Injecting_insulin

'Many people give insulin shots in the scruff of the pet's neck, which is now considered to be a less than optimum choice. The neck area provides poor insulin Absorption, due to it not having many capillaries, veins. etc. (vascularization). Other sites suggested by Dr. Greco include the flank and armpit[15]. Intervet recommends giving injections from just back of the shoulder blades to just in front of the hipbone on either side, from 1 to 2 inches from the middle of the back[16].'

[Date of article/post is unknown]

Are care givers still using the scruff of the neck anyway?

Thank you.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I was taught to do the scruff but it always creeped me out that I was so close to the spine. When I got both cats to just lay on their side I changed to the flank. Someone else will have a better answer but there's a rule about not wanting to inject into muscle mass (?) because it absorbs too quickly and there's a good reason not to continually use the same area, something about sarcomas. Sorry, not very scientific but that's what worked for me.
    injsitesforcats1.jpg

3. Sprkl

Sprkl Member

Very helpful information. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.