Is Chronic Pancreatitis Reversible?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam Q, Jul 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Q

Sam Q Member

I don't have the full labs in just a quick phone call from my Vet Tech friend saying I was right Mouse has Chronic Pancreatitis. Even the Internist didn't see this coming. They didn't have all the tests back or ready for me to see yet. They suggested to start Pacreazyme and will speak more with me Monday. They don't seem to be too familiar with any of this. I was reviewing ACVIM Consensus at the Bottom of the Primer on Pancreatitis and it seems to state that acute pancreatitis is reversible but Chronic is not. This really really bums me out.

Now I have questions for this amazing group:

Do we have someone here that defied this?
    What are the most effect products/prescriptions you used as suggested under the treatment section on the Primer?
    Does Chronic Pancreatitis mean Mouse won't be able to achieve remission?
    If we work hard to keep his BG down can his Pancreas heal?

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/a-primer-on-pancreatitis.83108/

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Chronic pancreatitis doesn't necessarily mean Mouse can't achieve remission since there's 2 different jobs the pancreas does but for his general overall health, it means you have to watch him closely for signs that it's becoming acute and start treatment quickly...anti-nausea meds, sub q fluids, pain meds, antibiotics, and appetite stimulant (if needed)

Yes, but there's 2 different things going on. The pancreas is where insulin is produced and getting his BG under control can allow it to resume that part of it's job.

The pancreas has two separate parts, the endocrine and the exocrine pancreas, which serve two different functions:

• The endocrine pancreas produces various hormones. Two of the main hormones produced by the pancreas are glucagon and insulin, which regulate blood sugar levels. The most common disorder of the endocrine pancreas is diabetes mellitus, caused by a decreased level of insulin production, resulting in elevated blood sugar levels.
    • The exocrine pancreas produces enzymes which are delivered to the intestinal tract to aid in the digestion of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. If these enzymes become activated prematurely, they can seep into the pancreas and surrounding tissue, causing damage and inflammation. This disease is known as pancreatitis.

Sam Q likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.