Is BG too low even though no insulin given?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue & Emma, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Probably the dumb question of the day but please look at Emma's SS. Okay, she's been "on her own" with no Prozinc, no more of that stupid Hill's food just FF. She is 15.7 lbs but she is only eating 2 1/4 cans a day. She eats well, has an appetite but that's just all she wants in a day.
    ...But here's my worry. Look at those numbers. She is down to 91 today at 1pm. I think that's normal right? I'm so shocked by that number that it's got me worried. Please let me know if this is okay. She is perfectly fine. Walking around alert, asking for pets. Snoozed some in the window cat hammock, she's out on the screened porch. So we are okay right?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No insulin on board no worries!

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Emma is fine. In normal range (50-120 on a human meter, not sure what it is on an AlphaTrak)

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I have a non-diabetic cat (has NEVER received insulin in his life) that regularly tests in the high 30's or low 40's. I use him just to test the meter sometimes. Their "normal" BG varies, but if there is no external insulin then there is no risk.

5. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thank you for your replies and understanding. I'm just so surprised. All those good numbers from just changing the food. Now I'm shaking my head because she was on the Hills Weight Mgmt/Urinary for the last couple of years. And I see now that she was showing symptoms then.

Thanks everyone for all your help! :bighug::bighug:
    Sue....and especially from Emma

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

when one succeeds we ALL succeed! :D:bighug::D

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Lovely numbers! Diet change can make a huge difference sometimes...
    If your kitty can hold normal numbers for 14 days without insulin she'll most likely be in remission....
    Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you both! :bighug:

8. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Wow remission would be great. I'm using the AlphaTrak and I see on the chart the green range is 68-99. But I think the meter has an error range of 18. So I should be crossing my fingers that her numbers stay inside 68-99?? I keep looking for a link on here for the AlphaTrak but I can't seem to find it.

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, this is on a human meter. @Sue & Emma this would definitely not be considered normal on your AlphaTrak meter.

As others have already noted, you don’t usually need to worry about a cat’s BG going too low if you’re not giving insulin injections. The only rare exception — and I only mention this in the spirit of being thorough — is if the cat has an insulinoma (insulin-secreting pancreatic tumor). These are exceedingly rare in cats, although more common in dogs.

So basically, enjoy the good numbers and breathe a little easier. :)

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes that is true that we were using a human meter in this instance, but when our first diabetic cat was in remission he would test in the 40's on an original AlphaTrak. Don't use either of these experiences to gauge what the "normal" is on any meter, it was only for you to know that cats not receiving insulin can indeed test in ranges that would make us fret for a cat that was receiving insulin, and it could even be below what is published as normal.

Looking good, Emma!

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I use the reference range my vet gave me for the Alphatrak:

3.9 - 8.3mmol/L // 70 - 150mg/dL

Note that FDMB uses 3.8 / 68 as the lower bound for pet meters.

Mogs

12. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thanks everyone!

13. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Sue & sweet Emma, you are giving me so much hope to read what an amazing change she has made just from switching to FF from Hill’s rx diet. I hope and pray that taking my Little Bit off Hill’s will bring him down in the normal range. I would love more than anything to get him into remission. Yay, you and Emma!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.