Introducing Merlin (oh and me)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill

Gill New Member

My furry monster was diagnosed diabetic in January this year after we noticed a marked increase in drinking. I thought he might a have hyperT like his sister - but he had to go one better. Having been advised this can take a while to get under control I wasn't too bothered by his lack of reaction to caninsulin initially, but it has crept up to the point he is now on 8units twice daily. Last weeks fructose level was 480 down from 602 in Jan, so not much of an improvement for 5 months injections. Acro has started to be mentioned by the vet but Mer is not showing any of the outward physical signs of this.

He has spent today at the vets for yet more blood tests (as they now want to test for pancreatitis) - he's normally such a placid loving cat but hates being away from home and usually just calls for me the entire time he's there, today he had to be sedated before they were able to take any samples.

Fortunately he seems fine in himself. He hasn't really ventured much further than the garden for the last couple of years and is definitely less active than he used to be - but at 16yrs what do you expect? His back legs are a bit dodgy which could be old age or diabetes.

So now we wait and see what the latest test results say............

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    A really important note: Insulin doses should be adjusted based on the nadir, the lowest glucose post shot. This is often around + 4 to +6 hours post-shot for Caninsulin, aka Vetsulin. Home testing during that period will let you see if he might be going too low and then bouncing high as he compensates for that.
    Pancreatitis may increase glucose levels

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Gill and extra-sweet Merlin. :bighug:

Some kitties do certainly need high doses of insulin.
    But we have also had some kitties arrive here on high doses only to find that the insulin dose they'd been on was actually too high (and the high blood glucose levels were caused by rebound or 'bouncing').

Would you be willing to learn to test Merlin's blood glucose at home? It wouldn't hurt him, and it could give you some really useful information about how the insulin is working in his body.
    Most of us use ordinary glucose meters made for humans.

In a nutshell, testing involves pricking the outer edge of the ear to get a teensy drop of blood; transferring that blood droplet to a test strip in a glucose meter; waiting for the meter to countdown and give the result; and rewarding the kitty with a treat or a cuddle. :cat:
    Here's the link to the FDMB compilation page of hometesting info, tips and tricks, and example videos, so you can see what it entails:
    Hometesting Links and Tips

When you say Merlin's "legs are a bit dodgy" what exactly to you mean?
    Do his joints seem stiff? Do his legs seem weak? What does the vet think the problem is?
    Diabetic neuropathy is quite common in diabetic cats (especially those that are in high blood glucose numbers). Quite a few of us here have found methyl B12 (methylcobalamin) to be helpful in repairing the nerve damage. There is a version made especially for cats called 'Zobaline'.
    But getting the kitty into better blood glucose numbers will help enormously too.

Low potassium can also cause back leg weakness. A blood test would be needed to find out if the potassium is low, but if it is low a potassium supplement can be given.
    And some of us have found that glucosamine/chondroitin supplements such as Cosequin can help kitties with stiff joints.

What are you feeding Merlin at the moment, Gill?

Oh, and welcome to FDMB! :)

Eliz

4. Gill

Gill New Member

Hi Eliz,

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to have others who have been in this position, I suspect our friends and family are getting a bit tired of the updates with no new news.

We have discussed with our vet doing Merlins' GC at home and are prepared to do this, however due to the ongoing tests this has been deferred for now. I don't think this would be too much of an issue though- especially with a bribe at the end of it. When he has had this done at the vets it has been more of a glucose line than a glucose curve - there just doesn't seem to be a significant lowering of his levels. I hadn't heard of the insulin dosage being too high and bouncing - something else for me to look into.

We do do Merlins' ketone tests at home using diastix, so far this has never been below 10 whatever time of day he supplies his "sample". (The first time he was re-introduced to the litter tray after a 15yr gap he decided that was just too undignified, but he is quite happy to pee in the bath instead! Actually this is quite handy and easy to clean afterwards, but he also now thinks that if outside is cold/wet or just too far away he goes to the bath instead).

His back legs seem to be a combo of stiff and slightly weak (but able to jump in the bath obviously). The vet did explain neuropathy is a common condition with diabetes, he's certainly not walking on his toes like he used to, and spends a lot longer lying on his side - once he gets there. What was a smooth movement is done in stages, hip and lower flank to floor propped up on his front legs, pause, one front leg down, pause, 2nd front leg down. Phew. He also has trouble sitting on my lap for any length of time now as his back legs have to be curled underneath him, after a few minutes he has to get off to stretch and straighten his legs.

Next time I speak with the vet I shall ask about his vitamin/potassium levels and see if it will help Mer to have a supplement. Are those you mentioned widely available or would I need to get these from the vet? He's has always had a (very) good appetite but has never really been a "biscuit boy" much perferring wet food. Felix is generally their favourite but we do mix this up with other brands to add variety, and as Merlin now has only one tooth and can't chew, food with larger chunks is not ideal as he just brings it straight back. The joy of motherhood:eek:.

Gill

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Gill,

What country are you in? Are you in the UK or Oz by any chance? (I'm just guessing because of the Caninsulin and Felix ;) )

6. Gill

Gill New Member

Hi Eliz,

I'm in Essex UK enjoying the same early summer sun as you.:)

Oh my mistake, make that early summer wind and cloud. All three furbies curled up like it's winter!!

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Both diabetic neuropathy and low potassium may cause difficulty standing and walking. The first is treated with good glucose control, plus methylcobalamin (a specific form of vitamin B-12). The latter is also treated with good glucose control (so potassium doesn't get used up so much), plus a potassium supplement as directed by a vet (too much potassium can be a problem, too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.