Intro, New Member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Comet’s Mom, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Amanda Comet’s Mom Member

Hello,
    My name is Amanda. I am new here & just wanted to introduce myself & my Sugarbaby. His name is Comet, he is a 13 year old Male Blue Point Siamese/Ragdoll mix. He was just diagnosed with Diabetes on 09/27/21. He started on 1u Baslgar 2x daily and we are now doing 1.25u Semglee 2x daily. The vet believes his Diabetes was caused from his higher dose of Prednisolone he has been on to help control his IBD. He also is Stage 2/3 CKD, so we have a few other things going on. Our hope is to keep weaning on Pred and possibly come off & for Remission of Diabetes. He started on 10mg 2x daily of Pred and is currently on 2.5mg 2x daily. Hoping for possibly 2.5mg once daily or none.

I am here for questions, concerns and information. Thanks for having me.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda and Comet and welcome to the forum.
    Wow! You look super organised with the signature and the spreadsheet set up……fantastic!
    Amd I see you have been testing for a few weeks and have the data entered! looks like you have stopped the renal food and have swapped to Weruva which has some low phosphorus foods.

FOOD, CHART
    You will also find some other low phosphorus foods in this link. Look for foods that have phosphorus levels of 200 to 150 mg phosphorus/ 100kcals or less.

We have 2 dosing methods for Lantus (Semglee). The tight regulation or the start low go slow method. I’ll put a link to them below for you to look at.
    You are testing enough for the TR and are feeding wet food so you might like to do that one. It’s a more aggressive method but you will get results moe quickly.
    DOSING METHODS

Are you feeding snacks during the cycles?…as well as the two main meals?

please ask lots of questions, we are more than happy to answer them.
    Bron

Amanda Comet’s Mom likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Useful link for new members. Do you have a hypo kit set up? If not I would get one set up ASAP. Information in link.
    HELP US HELP YOU

Comet is gorgeous!

Amanda Comet’s Mom likes this.
  4. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Thank you so much! So typically I check around 7:45, feed 3 oz of Weruva at 7:50 and by 9 he gets 1.25u then do a +2,+4,+6 and I would give 1 tblsp around the +4 and then if he’s still lower 2tblsp at +6 as I leave for work and he’s home alone for 6+ hours and I am not able to leave food for him to graze. (His brother will eat it.) Then at night we test at 8pm and do 3 oz of Weruva & shoot 1.25u and then for his +4 we check and give 2 tblsp food and head to bed.

I’ve been working hard on my glucose curve. Some days I test more often. But I was not taking his vets advice after his curve at her office to go to 2u. I’m trying the slow method of gently increasing.

Any info would be great!

5. Amanda Comet’s Mom

We have honey and 100% pure maple syrup in a few spots. No Karo. I’m aware of the numbers to worry and that the sugars should be rubbed onto gums, but don’t last long. I have some FF Gravy lovers on hand for a HC meal or treat to help bring his numbers up. Emergency vet on speed dial. And we have 4 bottles of test strips and 2 meters with extra batteries on hand.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

No need for karo when you have honey.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

With Semglee it is best to test/ feed and then shoot all in the space of 10 or 15 minutes. There is no need to wait for the food to be digested with Semglee as it typically doesn’t start to onset until around +2.

It is good to give a couple of snacks mainly in the first half of the cycles if you can. Have you thought about a timed automatic feeder …..you can buy ones that will only let a nominateD cat eat from the feeder. I know it is harder when there are other cats in the household.

Are you doing the SLGS method?

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Amanda!! So glad to see you over here from the Facebook group!!

You do test often enough to do Tight Regulation so you might want to read through the dosing methods again. TR is more aggressive, but it also gives the best chance at remission and I think Comet has a good chance!

Start Low, Go Slow is fine too though and you can always change your mind if you decide on one and then figure out it's not for you.

(That's that empty spot at the top of your spreadsheet that says Dosing Method (SLGS or TR) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.