Intro, and question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cardinal, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

Hi, I just joined and have a 12 year old n/m cat who I believe to be diabetic. (No $ for a Vet) I was a Vet tech for 10 years in another life, so my guess is an "educated" one.
    He is not on insulin, and has recently (as of yesterday) been vomiting what he eats.
    I have him confined in a large dog kennel so I can catch his urine and test it with Ketostix.
    My question is, what is the best electrolyte supplement I can get him, and what is the best that would be available at Petsmart or Walmart?
    I am thinking if he tests positive I might need to get some electrolytes into him asap.
    Thanks in advance for your responses and understanding.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A diabetic cats needs more than electrolytes. I recommend that you take your cat to a vet.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

yeah, if he needs electrolytes than his diabetes is a bit more progressed and treatment with insulin would be necessary. sooner than later as i'm sure you are aware of the complications that can occur.

what makes you think he's diabetic? what symptoms are you seeing?

also, do you know anyone that is diabetic or can you afford to pick up a glucose meter at walmart? their house meter is only $12 (Relion Micro or Confirm) and you can at least get 20 or 25 test strips for it pretty cheap. that would be one way to get an idea as to what the glucose levels are.

now that doesn't necessarily mean he's diabetic, it could mean that there's an infection or something that's raising his levels but you'd have a better idea as to whether you need a vet

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Would also suggest buying some Keto-Diastix....that tests the urine for ketones and glucose. I would want to see glucose in the urine and an out of range meter reading.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member

Thanks all. I got some ketostix this AM, but won't be home to do any testing til friday. My DH said he tested today, but he wasn't watching the cat all day, so I doubt he got a fresh urine sample.
    Next time I get paid I'll get a glucose meter. I was pricing the stuff at Walmart and I should be able to swing some basic stuff.
    And how do I know he is diabetic? He has all the classic symptoms. So it is my best guess.
    Truly wish I had 300 for a vet trip.

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

sending you a pm (aka: private message)

at the top left you will see "1 new message". click those words and it will take you to your inbox where you will find my message

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

You need a fructosamine done.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

As Jen stated, if you could get your cat into a place and ask for a fructosamine test, that will give you the definitive answer on whether he is diabetic.

Maybe a vet clinic would see your cat for that?

I know the vets in my area would want a consult $ and then test $. Maybe you can do a payment arrangement or ask for a discount or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.