Intermittent Vomiting? Sore on foot.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RJ., Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJ.

RJ. Member

Boots has been vomiting around 2 or 3 in the morning every other day. Occasionally he'll throw up earlier in the evening. He gets one can of wet food at 6pm, and then a half can at 10pm and a half can at 2am. It looks like he's throwing up a lot more than a half a can. Blood glucose has been in the low blues? He's actually down to about 1 unit of insulin now that he's transitioned to the Fancy Feast Pates. I can't figure out what's causing this. He's gained weight, but I'm not sure how? Don't know if this has anything to do with the vomiting.

He's also developed a sore on one of his front paws. I saw him limping yesterday and thought maybe he was bouncing around too much and tweeked his leg, but when I examined his paw, there is a small sore on one of his toe pads. I made an appointment for the vent to check it out because it seems to be causing him pain, but they can't see him until the 26th.

Any suggestions until then?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

The 26th??? sigh... I really think he needs to be seen... I dunno maybe @Panic can help?

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Is it regular puke or hairballs? They have that weird log shape to them.

4. RJ.

RJ. Member

It's regular puke. He doesn't have any other behavior changes. He'll just puke up his food and go about his day like it never happened.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Elizabeth

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Vomiting in cats is not normal contrary to what most people think. It’s indicative of something not being quite right. It could be an issue with his GI tract like IBD or early pancreatitis. It seems crazy that the vet can’t see him earlier. He should get some blood work down to try to rule out pancreatitis. And the paw needs to be examined as well. Can you see if they can squeeze him in? A diabetic cat vomiting should be more of a concern to the vet :arghh:

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he drinking more water? They can get dehydrated when they vomit regularly. I don’t mean to scare you, but Minnie got aspiration pneumonia from all the vomiting due to her IBD before I was able to get it diagnosed and under control. An anti nausea med to control the vomiting would be a good idea. Cerenia or ondansetron

8. RJ.

RJ. Member

I haven't really noticed an increase in drinking. He literally seems normal besides the random puking once every other day or so. Before the sore on his foot, he was running around and chasing bugs and the other cats. I'm going to try calling a different vet tomorrow to see if they have anything earlier, but they're not open today at all.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi RJ,

One thing you might try to help with the immediate problem of vomiting is to feed Boots every three hours instead of every four. I've noted in my little ones that going more than 3-3½ hours between feeds can lead to build-up of gastric acid and that, in turn, can lead to vomiting. Also, try raising Boots' food and water bowls a few inches so he doesn't have to dip his head to eat and drink.

You might get some more ideas here:

Nausea and Vomiting - Symptoms and Treatments

Obviously you'll still need to find out what's behind the vomiting but I hope something there might help tide Boots over till you can get in to see a vet.

Mogs

RJ. and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  10. RJ.

RJ. Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and track him a little more closely to see if I notice anything else odd.

11. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

The sore on his pawpad and the vomiting together make me wonder if he has some food allergies or Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. Could you try restricting his diet to remove a protein like fish or chicken?

12. RJ.

RJ. Member

Well, there hasn't been any more vomiting so far. I've been soaking his paw in Epsom salt and warm water twice a day for about 5 minutes. Yesterday I lanced it before the soak and this morning it looks like 90% better. No more swelling and it's starting to scab up. Limp is mostly gone. Going to keep his appointment for Monday just to see what the vet recommends but he's looking a lot better.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.