insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Apache & Ric, Mar 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i see some suggested Lantus for insulin. the vials are $350+ !!!! i have 12 other furbabies i have to care for and i couldnt possibly afford something like that. HOWEVER, i just spoke with a local who has a new vial of Prozinc that they will give me if i want to start on the insulin. its about $150 a vial but i may be able to swing that.
    QUESTION: should i make the move to prozinc and get away from the vetsulin. ( unless the group thinks you can have the required success needed with Vetsulin) . after about 6 months of use , it looks like the Vetsulin is ineffective . of course i dont know what im doing so it could as easily be me thats ineffective .
    my thoughts would be,,,,why put Apache through all this and spend money on the vetsulin if its never going to make the grade. if she has to endure all the poking , why put her through all this unless it can be effective

2. plumsteal

plumsteal Member

From users here I’ve learned that you can use a GoodRx coupon to get something like a year’s supply of generic Lantus pens for ~$150. Search for “Insulin Glargine” on the GoodRx app. The coupons can be shown to your pharmacy to receive the discount.

3. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

now that sounds like the answer !! can anyone give all the details please ??? want to make sure im searching for` the right item/s

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are a couple of additional options for purchasing Lantus (glargine). Many people purchase insulin from Canada via Mark's Marine Pharmacy. The cost is about 1/3 of what Lantus is priced at in the US.

Lantus (glargine) is now available as a generic/biosimilar. The lower cost of the two biosimilars is Semglee. A box of 5 pens costs around $150. I would take a look at the GoodRx or other discount coupons as well as call around your area to see what the price is for Semglee. Not every pharmacy stocks the biosimilar.

Also, you will need a prescription. It's not an insulin you can get at the vet's office and if the vet is selling it, I would be very leery. Some vets will repackage human insulin. It's illegal to do so.

To answer your question about insulin choice, the American Animal Hospital Assn. as of 2018 recommended either Lantus or Prozinc for the treatment of feline diabetes. Insulin, such as Vetsulin, has too short of a duration given a cat's fast metabolism. In addition, it was originally developed for treating canine diabetes. Either Lantus or Prozinc is a good choice. IMHO (and this is an opinion), the benefit of Lantus is that you can get it at any pharmacy. Prozinc would be available either through your vet or Chewy's -- it may be available though some of the big box pet places, though. Should you run out or your insulin go bad, being able to go to a pharmacy to get more is a big advantage. The other advantage is that there is solid research on the effectiveness of Lantus in cats.

5. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

5 pens will last how long? do you need any accessoies with the pens ?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Nope. You don't need any accessories. In fact, you do not want the needle tips for the pens. However, you will need U-100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings. (Vetsulin uses U40 syringes.)

It's hard to answer your question accurately since how long a pen lasts depends on how large the dose is. When my cat was getting roughly 1.0u dose, a pen would last approximately 80 days.

7. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

that estimate of 80 days is sufficient. thank you

8. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

do you get the pens just for the insulin to put in to syringes?? or actually use the pen ( i assume no if you dont needle tips?)

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ric
    lantus is an excellent insulin, but expensive in the US that's why most members get the generic glargine
    Here is some info
    Check this out
    https://www.goodrx.com/insulin-glargine?dosage=five-3ml-prefilled-pens-of-100-units-ml&form=carton&label_override=insulin glargine&quantity=1
    One pen would last me about 3 months . we use the pens just like a vial, you would just insert the syringe it the gray rubber stopper on the pen and draw out your insulin
    Its generic lantus

Or this one also

I see some members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreen's, to get the price for 5 pens
    Posted by another member
    One members posted this
    . I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you.

We don't use the pen because you can only adjust the dose by full units, we adjust the dose by 0.25 units at a time. Are the U-100 syringes you already have do they have half unit markings

Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen!
    [​IMG]

If you happen to get the generic lantus you will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    You can get the syringes with half unit markings at a Walmart. Their ReliOn Brand syringes of 0.3 cc (30 unit) capacity come with half unit markings. Cost $12.58 for a box of 100
    This is what the packaging looks like: either box
    They won't say it half unit on the box but the are . open then and look before you leave the store, can't be ordered on line , need to go into the store
    :
    [​IMG]

Or you can order these
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order!

You will need a script , tell them what you want and they will contact your vet to fax a script over, give your vet a heads up, ask for refills
    We use the half unit markings because we adjust doses by 0.25 units

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The pens are not great for cats! You treat the pen just like you would a vial, albeit a mini-vial. There's a rubber stopper at the tip of the pen. You insert the syringe into the stopper. The only difference between using a regular vial and the pen is that you don't want to inject air into the pen.

The issue with using the pen as a syringe is that you can't adjust the dose by 0.25u. The pens only dispense in 1.0u increments. In addition, you have to prime the pen by pumping out a unit which means you're wasting a good deal of insulin.

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to order from Canada. I’d get 5 pens with shipping for about $186 so each pen came up to about $37.50. Minnie was on a very high dose of 5-6 units and these would last me a year

Apache & Ric likes this.
  12. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

well i might as well switch. the vetsulin isnt even for cats and i pay $70 a vial that lasts about 2 months so,,,, the Lantus generic is way cheaper and it is the preferd insulin. i will be contacting my vet tomorrow !!! im going to need advise on dosage when i switch. i will not listen to my vet anymore.
    what is the diff between brand and generic if any ?

13. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Ric, you have been getting very good advice so far from Bron on adjusting the dosage. I’m glad to see that you reduced Apache's dose down to 1.75. I definitely am optimistic that the Lantus(generic) will give you much better control over her blood glucose without so many highs and lows. The curves should be much flatter which will be much better for her. She may still bounce, but hopefully that will improve as she spends more time in lower numbers.

Now, as to feeding, she will need to be fed more often. If you need for her not to gain weight then you can still keep the same amount pf total food, but you will divide it up and feed small snacks during the early part of the cycle. Feeding with a depot insulin like Lantus is different than feeding with vetsulin. You can test, feed, and shoot all pretty much within 5 minutes and don’t need to wait for her to even finish eating to give the shot. Then, a general procedure for many cats is to give a snack around +2 and then a few more teaspoon snacks before nadir. We will need to see when her onset time is and when her typical nadir is. Do you know how many carbs are in the food that she is required to eat (the ProPlan)?

14. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

ive been at 1.5 units for the past few cycles so Bron actually increased the dose. should i stay at the increased dose of 1.75 or go back to the previous of 1.5 ??????s omeone reviewed the label of the proplan duck sensitive skin and stomach and it had 4.54 % carbs. apache has a food allergy and can only eat this food. her nadir is usually at 5hrs. as uou can see in the profile picture Apache loves her new timer feed bowl !! she gets snacks at 2 and 4

15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’ll let @Suzanne & Darcy answer that, but if you were at 1.5 when she went under 90, you’d reduce to 1.25. You can keep the same dose when you switch to Lantus. Lantus is a much gentler longer laying insulin which means that it takes about 2 hours to start working and that’s why you can test, feed, shoot all back to back. It also means your cat will be protected a full 12 hours each cycle and 24 hours a day. Keep asking questions!

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Oh and no difference between the brand and generic just like any other human generic medication.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  17. Suzanne & Darcy

Have you gotten any tests today on the 1.75 dose? That would be good to know.

18. Suzanne & Darcy

The 1.75 unit recommendation was based on the data that she went under 90 on both 2.5 and 2 units. Hopefully you have some data from today to help us see how she did on the 1.75 units and with the new snacking regimen from her auto feeder. I’m really happy that she likes it. :cat:

19. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

yes amps-294
    3hr- 163
    4hr- 153
    5hr- 175

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. Thanks. So far so good. I didn’t see these numbers on the spreadsheet yet. That is helpful. What hour are you in the cycle now/how long until her evening shot? It looks like 175 will be fine for tonight, but we will see. If she stays in these blues or higher, I would stick with it.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  21. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i just posted the ss numbers now. shes coming up on her 7th hour so 5 more hours till her next shot. i just test till i know numbers arent falling .the poor girls ears are like a pincushion !!

22. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

when i call my vet for the lantus generic prescription. what is the exact wording im looking for. lantus pens? are there sizes? how many? must include generic alt ?

23. Suzanne & Darcy

@Diane Tyler's Mom

24. Suzanne & Darcy

So it’s looking like we hold the 1.75 for tonight.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  25. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

ok. thank you so much !!

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see Suzanne tagged me about this, I actually was fortunate enough to buy them from our supply closet , members who are either giving it away for free or selling it

I just found a post on our group where a member asked the same question and one of our members replied
    Tell your vet to write the script for lantus and write "substitution permitted".
    I would have your vet write it for 5 pens ,the expiration date will most likely be for 2024 or 2025
    Ask the pharmacist what it is.
    Keep them on the middle shelf in your fridge
    There aren't sizes to ask for
    The 3 generics for lantus are

Basaglar, Semglee, and Glargine any one of these are fine, it depends on which one they have in stock.

All the pens are
    • a box of five 3 mL prefilled Pens
    I would call all the places I listed in post #9 ( numbers are to the right of each post) and ask them what they have and tell them you have an Rx coupon to use or they might have a coupon that they use ,see who has the best price

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  27. Suzanne & Darcy

Be sure to post here if anything unexpected or concerning happens before PMPS. I am not expecting it, but you never know.

28. Suzanne & Darcy

And finally… she is a real beauty! I just wanted to say that!

Apache & Ric likes this.
  29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Just an FYI...
    The pens are typically sold as a box; there are 5 pens in a box.

Suzanne & Darcy and Apache & Ric like this.
  30. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

thank you for the kind words. she is just the sweetest snuggle muffin and the runt of the litter of 6 which i have all of . born in my house. her mother just died recently and there have been 6 very sad kitties, then Apache gets this. she was in very bad shape when i diagnosed her. i had to force feed her every 2 hours for six dayz. luckly i can administer sub-q fluids as i recently HAD a cat with renal disease and have cared for many with that condition. she has fought a long hard battle to get where she is now and if she is willing to fight, i will stand next to her and fight also. i am very lucky as most of my cats ive had lived to 20 years. i cannot thank you enough for the help. vets are completely useless. i can see what a money making racket it can turn into for them . the only accolade i can give my vet is that he knows i dont have much money and will let me administer "home care" whenever possible cause he knows i can handle it diligently to a T . most vets wont give that option and in that case i would have had to let Apache go. besides battling diabetes she is also battling allergies. that also has been a frustrating battle. she still sneezes alot. combating that with Benedryl and trying to stay away from the steroid stuff. my vet gave her an injsction when she was diagnosed and i think it did worse than good cause thats when she stopped eating.

31. Suzanne & Darcy

That’s a sweet story. I’m happy you have the whole litter. I’m glad your vet is willing to work with you as far as letting her have home care. Do you test her for ketones?

32. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

ketones will be my next venture as i didnt even know what that was. i see the blood meters and strips are as expensive so i have to figure out a way to get her urine. when u test for ketones how many times do u do it? just like BG ? more? less?

33. Suzanne & Darcy

Usually testing for ketones once a day will be sufficient. If she is producing a lot then perhaps more, but normally once a day is enough.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  34. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Actually, you can buy individual pens at the pharmacy since usually vets will write a prescription for one pen only. I never knew they came in boxes till I ordered 5 from Canada

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  35. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Ale & Minnie (GA) -- and I could only purchase them in a box. It may be a local/regional thing. (Of course, I haven't been buying insulin recently.)

36. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

where do i find this supply closet please ??

37. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Apache did not eat her snacks last night and will not eat at meter/feed time...what do i do ???? i know to stall but what if she still doesnt eat

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  38. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Here is a screenshot of the pGoodRx pagen form generic glargine. You have select the generic and pen (carton) in the pull down menus since the default is real Lantus vials.
    Generici Lantus.png
    Note that if yo select real Lantus the coupon is not for a pet prescription. The prescription is required to say it is for a pet.

Apache & Ric likes this.
  39. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i have the page pulled up now $152 at cvs

40. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Try to blend up the food and make it into a puree. That could make her eat

41. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i did that. Apache is ALWAYS screaming for her food. i think the additional snacks have provided too much food. i will divide the usual amount of food to include the 2 snacks
    question: since vetsulin is quicl acting, i now must split up one can (3oz) of food BUT how much to give at Meter / feed ???? half can with 2 quarter c an snacks ??? is 1/2 can enough food for her shot ???

42. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

1/2 a can is enough but I’d try to give her a snack at +2 as well

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  43. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i give a snack at 2 and 4

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  44. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Yeah she could be getting full since she was very use to what you were feeding her before. You wouldn't happen to have fortiflora on hand would ya? I'd assume if you did you would have tried that lol. She could be full, she could have a belly ache, maybe it's almost hairball time or even constipation. Lots of reasons cats won't eat, I swear some cats do it to mess with me. I have 18 myself and they laugh at my stress sometimes :arghh:

So since your on vetsulin we gotta work real hard to make her eat for her shot or else she'll drop fast. Hmm. Do you have shakeable parmesean cheese?

45. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Also what was her amps? I don’t see it in the spreadsheet. Can you try baby food?

46. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Apache has food allegy and can only eat her one food. i dont dare give her anything else as i tried just about everything dialing in on the allergy. i have famitodine i can give her. she not constipated cause a few hours ago she dropped a bomb. is just waiting till shes hungry again to administer the shot the correct answer?

47. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i didnt even take a readin cause she wont eat Apache has a food allegy and cannot eat baby food

48. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

332 half hour late

49. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Ah yeah I did forget about her allergies. Warming up to food maybe? Finger feeding? Sometimes if they can just get a taste that reminds them "oh yeah I love this stuff" and they start eating. Bop her on the mouth with some so she can a quick taste and see if that changes her mind

50. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

trust me ....Apache is always screaming for her food. i believe her stomach is upset by the way she is sitting. this does happen every once in a while with the food allergy. i reaffirm my belief its too much food

51. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Well I'd assume we shouldn't skip the shot but maybe @Ale & Minnie (GA) can clear that up

52. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

i gave her a sliver of famitodine for her stomach, i dont mind waiting till shes hungry again

Katsallday likes this.
  53. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The thing is you don’t want to be late an hour with the shot so it looks like you may be skipping today. She’ll be high but it’s safer since we don’t know when or if she’ll eat

54. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

but when she does eat shouldnt i just start the cycle from there ??

55. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Poor baby, my new diabetic cat goes through this inappetence as well. My first diabetic was a BREEZE compared. If I cried my first diabetic would do anything to make me stop, which included eating, letting me learn to take his BG while I hit veins, he loves me unconditionally. This new foster that I decided to keep couldn't care less lol! If he doesn't want to eat I do syringe him, I don't play around anymore lol! He was also in DKA so food was super important but I digress...

Try giving her a kitty massage. That's what I'm doing right now for my cat with stress cystitis. He sits on me while I rub him and the calming effect makes him get up and take a few licks every once in a while. Then he comes back for rubs lol!

56. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Always 12 hours apart so you'd be on a new shot time. You can slowly work back in 15 minute increments to your original shot time so it'll take a few days depending on what time you do the shot today

57. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Or you can skip your 12 hour cycle and give insulin at her next normal time to stay on schedule. Do you have ketone strips?

58. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Exactly what @Katsallday said. You can also give a token dose but I’m not a Vetsulin expert and that’s something we do with the gentler longer lasting insulins like Lantus or prozync. Did you read the sticky notes on the Vetsulin forum?

59. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

wouldnt be the first time and thats exactly what i do to get back to preferred time slot !

60. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

no ketone testing yet. why make her uncomfortable for the 12 hrs. when shes ready to eat ill be there !!

61. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

my vet said when she doesnt eat i should give 1/2 dose if i want to stay on prefered time slot. that is not imperative for me and ive never done that

62. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

You're awesome! Your 12 kitties are very lucky

Apache & Ric likes this.
  63. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

my kittys ARE very lucky as long as i dont drop dead. i havent .had a day off in over 20 years !! just lost a 20 year old boy with renal disease( 2 years on sq fluids) now ive got a 20 year old with thyroid diseae Apache by far has been the hardest to deal with. finding the right food with the food allergy thing was a nightmare and maintaining that is just as frustrating. hey if i fall over stiff.....my cats can always eat me to survive till help gets there !!!

64. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Oh man I understand the lack of days off. I have 18, 2 diabetics, the new one came to me in DKA with a severe infection (ones in remission but keeps getting into dry food,) one with stress cystitis, one with allergies like yours, 2 with IBS, and I just lost 1 to acute renal failure and 1 to acute liver failure. Looks like we're very similar lol!

Where are you located? I'm in the belly button of Florida

Apache & Ric likes this.
  65. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

wow ! 18. you do have your hands full more than me. your cats are SUPER LUCKY !! i had 15 at one time and cats all my life. first diabetic one though. had a girlfriend where i helped out with shots a few times and me mum had a diabetic one that died of low hypo. neither were told of ANYTHING like the group knows (werent told of meters, didnt mention hypo, no ketones, no give food with shot ,,,basically just shot every 12 hrs). im in Pahrump Nv about an hour out of Las Vegas.... # desertlife. i lived in Satellite Beach fla when i was younger but i cant remember that far back. half my brain cells are dizzy and the other half are in denial

66. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Oh yeah, vets really don't know too much about diabetes. My old vet told me my first diabetic cat was going to die early. That cat went into remission in 2 weeks thanks to this group. They saved him from 2 hypoglycemic episodes too. My new diabetic cats old vet refused to prescribe me insulin while kitty was ketonic. I really should have reported her for that but there's a lack of vets now and she's probably ok at other stuff. He went dka and now he's better after a month of syringing him food. That was hard but worth it. This group has saved so many kitties from needless deaths and suffering, they are all heroes.

Ah vegas. I love it there. I'll never get to go back unless I pack up my diabetic cats and bring em lol! How's Apache doing now? Famitodine helping her?

67. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

Apache is peacefully resting now and laying on her side where b4 she was sitting up. hopefully when she wakes shell have an appetite again

Katsallday likes this.
  68. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

when Apache eats i will start a new thread

Suzanne & Darcy and Katsallday like this.
  69. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

Sound good!

70. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

the vet approved the presciption !!!! lets hope it is written correctly !!!

71. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

prescription written incorrect. looks like ill have to wait till tomorrow

72. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

I have u100. .5 syringes . Will those work ir do I need .3

73. Katsallday

Katsallday Member

I'd answer you but I haven't started Lantus yet :/, maybe @Bron and Sheba (GA) ?

74. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

They will work but it is hard to measure ¼ unit increments since they are marked in 1 unit increments and the distance between the marks are smaller than 0.3cc syringes and you can get 0.3cc syringes with ½ unit markings.

Just how was the scrip written? Maybe it is OK.

75. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

yeah i just looked. my dose of vetsulin is 1.75 and im waiting to see from the members helping me what dose i should start with lantus. i guess if i get to an even number it would work. so the ,5 and ,3 is the dia size of the syringe barrel ?

76. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Ric if you would rather get the the
    0.3cc syringes with ½ unit markings. You can get either one that I posted in post #9
    above :cat:

77. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

im going to get those now !

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  78. Diane Tyler's Mom

:cat:

79. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

80. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

My generic lantus insulin has exp of March 2024. Is that sufficient?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  81. Diane Tyler's Mom

What do you mean by b insulin ?
    If you mean the generic lantus then yes that expiration date is fine
    How many pens did you buy
    @Apache & Ric

82. Apache & Ric

Apache & Ric Member

accidental b ... 5 pens

83. Diane Tyler's Mom