? Insulin with Flea treatment

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gill & Mac (UK), Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions whilst this is all so new.
    Mac is due his monthly flea treatment and it is the first one since he started on insulin.
    He is on Stronghold which is applied to the back of the neck. I asked the vet at the start of the insulin and he said the flea treatment could still be used as usual just not to do at the same as his injection and try not to do in exactly the same place.
    But I didn't think to ask if there is a certain gap in time I should aim for (to give the stronghold time to dry or for any other reason) ?
    I was thinking maybe lunchtime which would be 3.5 hrs after his morning injection and 8.5 hrs pre his night one ?

Any advice please?
    Thanks

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok not an expert here but I think as long as its not on the same spot 3+ hours should be long enough. Best bet is to wait for better advice. We dont get fleas here so I've never had to deal with this.

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can use an alternative place on Mac's body. Any place where you can lift the skin up to form a small tent, you can inject the insulin there.

4. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thank you Lisa

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

@Critter Mom
    @Diana&Tom
    @Elizabeth and Bertie

You are UK-ites like me - do you use stronghold (not sure if stronghold is a UK only brand) & have you ever had any issues.

I'm inclined to be jealous of @jt and trouble (GA) with her saying they don't get fleas there - but may be not in view of what she said about the temperatures they have there

Oops there we go with the weather again !!:joyful:

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Gill, I've not used Stronghold. I alternate Frontline and Advantage (Advantage for fleas, and Frontline for ticks (we have a major problem with ticks here...)).

Hahaaaa! ...Tis a bit chilly now you mention it.
    Might need 'a nice cup of tea' soon... :cat::coffee:

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Our vets advised that Frontline is useless for our area as the local flea population is resistant to it. They used to prescribe Advocate for a long time but recently they switched to Prinovox which, I am told, is the same stuff under a different brand name. (Haven't checked the veracity of that claim yet.)

Cats seem a bit off-colour for about 24 hours after administration but other than that no other news to report.

Mogs

8. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I use Advantage but have heard good things about Advocate (sorry not much help).

Gill & Mac (UK) likes this.
  9. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Yes Mogs we had the same issue with Frontline here - the vet swapped to advocate then a year ago to stronghold.

At least it doesn't seem to bother them - once we manage to grab Lady (Mac's sister) she is out the 2 cat flaps & halfway up the garden if she sees us near where the pipette is stored !

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Its exactly why we dont get fleas. Ones brought here from other places quickly die and cant reproduce.

Critter Mom and Gill & Mac (UK) like this.
  11. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks
    @Elizabeth and Bertie and
    @Diana&Tom

Do you apply your Advantage a long time before the injection is due ? Then just try your best to avoid doing the injection where the flea stuff was put or is it more technical than that?
    Going to get a jumper on now.

12. Diana&Tom

Sorry, I’m not the best person to ask, Gill - I don’t have a diabetic cat these days (am just a long-time member like Mogs who has stayed around)... Elizabeth is still treating a diabetic kitty though and is an excellent source of up to date info!

13. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I do exactly that, as you so eloquently described in your first post: :)

Hahahaaaaaa!
    ...Actually, I bet Diana beat you to it....or that at least she's put warm socks on.... :rolleyes::p

14. Diana&Tom

I’ve had a nice cosy jumper on all day, chucked the flipflops in the wardrobe and put woolly socks on. Now contemplating a warm bubble bath followed by a cup of cocoa and a hot water bottle.... brrrrrrr!!!

15. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Thanks Elizabeth & everyone.
    Enjoy the rest of your evenings & stay warm! Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.