Insulin shot + watery eye = ?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sarabean, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarabean

sarabean New Member

I keep asking so many questions. Please bear with me. I am constantly worrying about my newly diagnosed Romeo. I noticed tonight for the second time that I've given him his insulin shot after he ate and his left eye is watery. The liquid is clear and he seems otherwise fine. I'll call the vet in the morning. Until then, how freaked out should I be? I just worry so much.

Thanks for your input in advance.
    \Sara

2. DianeM47

DianeM47 New Member

I think he will be ok until you can get hold of the vet. The diagnosis of diabetes can help us notice so many things that wouldn't have gotten our attention before.

3. sarabean

sarabean New Member

I'm pretty sure this is new. I have to say that it only watered for about an hour and then stopped. Any ideas?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sara, did you recently change his diet. tom got watery eyes on fancy feast beef for example. you feed at the same time you shoot so it could be a diet thing. some cats are alergic to certain foods. I would like to send you a dear mom letter. let me go find one.
    and by the way....there are NEVER too many questions ok. your a new mom of a diabetic, you've got lot's to learn!

Henry Fonda likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dear Mom,

I know it's only been a couple of days, but there are a few things I'd like to tell you.

First of all, you really do have to calm down, because you're stressing me out.

Please at least let me get all the way out of the litter box before you start to inspect it.

Don't stare at me while I'm eating. It makes me nervous. I need a little privacy please.

You really don't have to follow me from one room to the next. I'm not doing anything that I haven't done a million times before. I'm still trying to catch those pesky fish that live behind the glass. I'm chasing the dust bunnies under your desk. I'm waiting to catch Libby (drooler) off guard so I can smack her and run. I'm doing all those catly things I've always done. I don't need a perpetual audience.

Just because I'm sleeping, doesn't mean that you need to wake me up and check on me every five minutes. I'm a cat. I sleep.

I feel hot because I've been lying in my favorite sunny spot in the office. Yes, that really is the only reason.

I know it would make you feel better if I slept in your bed with you, but it wouldn't make me feel better. I've never done that before, so it would feel funny to start doing it now. Besides, I really like my bed. I've had it a long time, you know.

It doesn't mean that something is wrong with me just because I don't want to play. Don't you remember the rules? When you want to play with me, I want to ignore you and treat you with disdain. I want to play with you when you are reading the newspaper or attempting to drink your first cup of coffee. This has always worked for us, so why would I want to change that now? So if I don't want to play with you, it doesn't necessarily mean that I don't feel good. It means that I'm just being the Rainbow I've always been.

Stop lecturing (boyfriend) every time you leave the house for five minutes. He has read everything you have. He was there at the vet's when you picked me up. He knows all the signals/symptoms of hypo, and he knows what to do. He knows where the syrup is. How could he not, since it's now in every room in the house. Remember when you told me that you would trust him with your life? Well trust him with mine. He loves you, and he won't let anything happen to me.

You know that pounding headache you've had since last Sunday? It might go away if you'd chill out just a little bit.

And lastly, every single sound I make need not be analyzed for meaning. Just because I speak to you, it doesn't mean I'm sick or hurting or getting ready to go hypo. I've always been a very vocal kitty. Sometimes a meow really is just a meow.

Love,

Your Sugar Cat

Rgo7777 likes this.
  6. sarabean

sarabean New Member

Aww, that was cute. Thanks, Lori. I did switch his food. I spoke with the vet who wasn't at all worried about it, so I am just going to monitor the situation and freak out only if it gets worse (ha!)

On a positive note, I FINALLY got blood today from him and he's at 99! So the insulin is definitely doing its job! I have to do a curve today, but I'm sure glad to know it's gone down. It was over 600 at the vet last week.

7. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

Awww that letter was cute!! ((sniff sniff))

Well I have always used this for watery kitty eyes:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=33664&catid=20141

It works for allergies, pinkeye and general trauma! It's also all natural, and doesn't sting sensitive kitty eyes. However, you still need to hold em down while you drop liquid into their eye... and we all know how much kitties like to be held down!

Good luck, hope it helps.

Breayle and Jake

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

umm, sara when was that 99? i did'nt see a spread sheet. hope that was'nt an amps or pmps that you were shooting. what insulin are you using?
    if you want to let us see what;s going on try this method we all use.

amps---250
    +2 ---190
    +4 ----120
    +7 ---- 99
    pmps--214

the amps and pmps are the #'s you get before the shot, anything after the shot should be marked by the # of hours since the shot. it helps us understand exactly where your at in the cycle.
    lori and tomtom

9. sarabean

sarabean New Member

Lori, you lost me. This is my first time and I have no idea what that means. amps and pmps?

The first one was 99 before his first insulin shot, before he ate.
    Then I took blood again 4 hours later and got 72 (I realize this is way too low).
    I'm about to do it again in 30 minutes, then I'll call the vet. His insulin needs to be reduced tonight, obviously.

She had him (for the last week) on Glargin 2 units 2 times a day. I'm guessing as soon as I get my baby's blood she'll be reducing that to 1 unit? Or something?

He was over 600 last week and had neuropathy and excessive drinking. I know his levels are low now but at least he feels better. Should I be freaking out, cuz you scared me?!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok sara, i'm a little worried. first of all are you saying you shot the 99? which insulin are you using...
    do you have someone experienced here guiding you?
    amps= am pre shot
    pmps= pm pre shot
    the +'s are the hours since last shot if you test mid cycle.
    does that clear that part up?
    72 is not too low, actually it's perfect.
    We have to get you schooled on a few things. hope your still on line.
    you might want to go to the Insulin Support Group of the insulin you are using.
    lantus, levemir, pzi, humalin, vetsulin...we have one for all insulins.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok, i see where you are using gargline which is lantus...i'm going to get lantus peeps over here to help you move over there which is where you need to be.

12. sarabean

sarabean New Member

Well, he tested at 99 amps. Then 72 4 hours later. Then 90 another 4 hours later. I wasn't sure how worried to be. I spoke with the vet who was really pleased since a week ago he was over 600.

We're reducing his insulin to 1 unit starting tonight. Does that make sense? (He was on two units).

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes sara, that totally makes sense. i think it would be good timing right now for you to go over to the insulin support group for lantus and introduce yourself. you will LOVE it there as they all use lantus, are extremely helpful and caring. it's a like a big family over there. you find it by looking upper left corner right below the green hocks add it says board index, press on that, then look for Insulin Groups but only press on the lantus subtitle and poof your there.
    I'll look for your there.
    good luck
    and those are great #'s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.