INSULIN RESISTANCE

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Shuheilove, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Shuheilove

Shuheilove New Member

Hello dear friends. My name is Sandra and my sugar kitty's name is Kiki. We live in Bogota, Colombia. She was diagnosed 7 months ago after a suspected triaditis due to her refusal to eat the new food that I was changing gradually. She's on 2 units/ 12 hrs of Caninsulin, the only insulin for veterinary use available in my country. Her BS numbers have never been under 250. Lately her numbers are increasing between 340 - 360 even after administering the insulin so I decided to increase the dose 1/2 unit but it has made no difference. I think she's developing insulin resistance. She's eating Vet Life Feline Diabetic dry food, there's no wet low carb food available here. I need your advice and your opinions on how to proceed with her treatment to lower her BS numbers. Thank you in advance.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

Do you test her BG at home? If so, do you test during the day/night after you've given insulin? For example, 2 or 4 hours after giving the shot?

Shuheilove likes this.
  3. Shuheilove

Shuheilove New Member

Thanks for your answer; yes, I test her BG every day at least 4 times, before administering her insulin and 2 hours after.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Fantastic that you are testing. Can you set up a spreadsheet to help us help you with doing advice? Here’sa link to a spreadsheet template.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

if it’s insulin resistance you may need to gradually increase and then at some point you hit the breakthrough dose and it will start coming down. We can help with that.

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Wonderful on the testing! I wanted to make sure her dose wasn't too high.

Take a look at my spreadsheet from 2020 into 2021 (do NOT do what I did and do a reset down to a lower dose, that was bad advice from a vet and wasted time). Same thing. You just have to keep increasing the dose methodically (by 0.25U every 4-5 days) until you start to get nadirs in the lower 100s. Like Janet said, just have to keep going til you hit a breakthrough dose; once they hit 6U we recommend testing for IAA and acromegaly, both of which are conditions that can cause insulin resistance.