Inner Ear Cleaner

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue & Emma, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Emma gets a waxy build up inside her left ear. She doesn't have an infection or anything like that. I even had the vet tech clean that out last week before we started all the FD stuff. But, since I test on the backside, fur side of the ear, I want to be sure to get something that won't hurt her ear.

Do any of you have a waxy eared kitty that you put a little something in their ear, massage it, and then the cat shakes a little and the deep wax comes out?

Thanks for all your tips!
    Sue

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi Sue-I am a pet groomer and I have lots of ear cleaners-I am personally not a fan of pouring anything in the ear as beyond being annoying it sometimes never really drys. if you choose to use that method I would suggest getting a cotton ball wet and gently putting it in the ear so as not to want to immediately shake it out-I have had great success with a product that is a moistened pad that really gets that hard to get off wax and or dirt or yeast-:bighug:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0180A1J38/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This also works very well with any mouth issues and/or kitty acne

3. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thank you Jayla!

4. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

I recently picked up zymox otic from Amazon (the steroid free one) to use in Penny’s ears. She’s been having inner ear infections and this is supposed to help clean out wax and kill yeast/ bacteria. I just got it today so I can’t say if it works but there are tons of good reviews. There are 14,000 good reviews for the steroid versions but I don’t want to risk raising her bg.

5. Sue & Emma

Sue & Emma Member

Thanks Laurisaurus. That's exactly what I was wondering. If the one's with hydrocortisone shouldn't be used.

6. Laurisaurus

Laurisaurus Member

Steroids caused Penny’s diabetes so I’m avoiding them unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’ve heard that others didn’t have problems with using topical steroids so I think it depends on the cat. If their numbers are already high then the slight bump in bg might not be noticed, especially if you are still using insulin.

Penny’s numbers are low now and we are no longer using insulin so no steroids for us.

7. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

me again-the cleaner I copied and pasted uses chlorehexadine ketoconazole which is what the majority of vets use to kill fungus and bacteria-they work really well at getting the sticky gunk off-you can also get a liter of chlorehexadine and dilute it but I personally prefer the combo and it has even got rid of budding yeast infections if caught in time-:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.