Ingrown claw question??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JaniceandSpike, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Ive noticed one of Spikes nails curved into the pad with no sharp point. Its not poking into the pad but just curved around it. Im guessing this is an ingrown nail? I called and made a vet appt for Wed and she asked if I wanted it pulled out..ugh!! I said I'd just like it trimmed if I could. Dh and I tried but Spike was NOT cooperating at all. Anyone have experience with an ingrown nail and what did the vet do. If he needs it pulled out do they put him under and is it a big deal? Thanks!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Niko came declawed from the shelter and it wasn't done completely. He has a tiny claw in front that grows and grows under. About twice a year, I take him in to have it clipped.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If it has not penetrated into the pad you can just trim/cut it with the right clipper. Some of the regular ones do not really give you access to cut it. Yes, a cat can really fight against having it tripped since it may be hurting the pad. If it has penetrated the pad antibiotics may be necessary. You might try rolling the cat in a towel except for paw you want to clip. It is safer that way.

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I trimmed an ingrown claw years and years ago with an older cat I had then. I found it on a Sunday afternoon, freaked out and called the vet. It still had the casing on and had circled around and was growing into the pad. Her advice was to trim it. I think I used just regular human fingernail clippers. It's been a long time, but I remember it turning out to be a nonevent. The cat was reasonably cooperative and while I thought the point had penetrated the pad, in fact it was merely pushing against it. He was fairly used to having his claws trimmed by me, but I must have missed that one a couple of times.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I had the same thing happen to Sweety, and I freaked too. I trimmed it myself w/human finger nail clippers, the was I usually trim her nails. This one time, it was grown into her pad. Poor baby, it hurt when I pulled it out - she gave a yell, and it was all done. Now, I keep a close eye on her nails. I don't want it to get like that again.

6. JaniceandSpike

I did try wrapping him in a towel and he had a hissing, growling fit...I feared for my life..lol I was holding him and dh tried to trim nail but Spike wasnt having any of it. If I had 4 hands I think I could have done it. I guess we'll just have to go to the vet for an expensive manicure. It looks like its just touching the pad right now.
    This is the same cat that has his test and takes his insulin without a peep.

7. perwhit

perwhit New Member

Actually, my diabetic has two claws on each of the front paws in the same area that do this regularly. The nail is abnormally thickened and larger then the others and it hooks right around back into the pad. I have wanted to get both of them pulled because I have to trim them so often and remember to do so. They do not even come to a point, its severely thickened. Almost like an infected nail either fungus or bacterial.....it can be a real pain and I know it hurts my cat. The nail does not even retract, it is constantly "out" so to speak. The only thing I have had done for him was the vets cut it, completely down, and then I have even taken a file to it to try to thin down the thickening. The first time it happened before I knew it was a problem, he had to be on antibiotics as the nail had grown into the pad. It is up to you, but you do not need to have it pulled. Just make sure you keep up with trimming...

8. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

I'm just curious - what does 'have the claw pull' mean in this context? My imagination runs to things that I'm sure aren't the real meaning!

9. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Yes, by all means go to the vet if you can't do it yourself. It will continue growing and like Sweety's case, right into the pad. I knew it was because I saw blood on the end of it when I took it out. Just think how much that would hurt - like an ingrown toenail.
    I just got back from the vet today, it cost $15 to have her nails trimmed. I always have him do it when I'm there. And No, Sweety does not like me touching her feet, but I just get her in a hold and get it done as quick as I can. At first she growled & hissed, but as I did it more and more, she is a little better at it. She knows she's not getting away. And at the vet's - HA - she doesn't even move - fear will do that...

10. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, my vet does nail trims on the house. of course they're usually in for something else when they do them so not sure if she'd charge if i took one in just for that.

i try to keep them trimmed myself but the clinic trims further back then i dare so i figure what the heck, might as well let them do them up to their standards :)

if the vet is referring to declawing that toe, i don't know that i would rush to doing that right away. she could probably trim it and then y'all keep an eye on it and keep it trimmed regularly. if it wants to keep growing that way or does puncture the pad, i would then consider it a medical necessity maybe to remove the claw from that toe and yes, they would anesthetize for that. fwiw, while i'm 100% against declawing a cat, i did have one foot on my Mommie Kitty declawed a while back. i did struggle with the decision for awhile but ultimately agreed with everyone that it was medically necessary for her since she has no feeling in that foot and her paw atrophied, making the only direction for her nails to grow being right into the underside of her hock. if hers penetrated her leg, there was a good chance no one would know, even her, until possibly an infection had set in and then we would be faced with "did we catch it in time?"

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Declawing is major surgery. It is akin cutting off the end of one of your fingers at the firs joint. It is not just like removing a fingernail on a human.

12. JaniceandSpike

Update...Problem solved.
    I had a friend come over Monday that wasnt afraid of getting clawed to death. She scruffed Spike and held him under the chin (so he wouldnt bite) and I tackled all his nails. It was a complete success!! I was thrilled we didnt have to go to the vet for something as simple as cutting nails. I knew I could do it but just needed a second set of hands. Im going to keep an eye on this nail and make sure it doesnt grow too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.