? INCREASED SINUS ISSUES, SNEEZING BLOOD...POSSIBLE MASS

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA), Oct 23, 2023.

1. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA) Member

Missy has been pretty stable in the last couple of months, BGs running under/around 100's @ 5u insulin for awhile. Recently I noticed her breathing gotten noisier and the "little" sneezes more frequent and it does sound like there is definitely something growing on her sinus. When she actually sneezes hard some blood will also come out as well....just happened again this morning, last time was only a week ago. Also her BGs suddenly raised a bit.
    IM doctor is concerned about a possible mass as nasal lymphoma seems to be the most common nasal lymphoma in cats and the bleeding is worrisome. Doesn't look like Azythromicyn is doing anything at this point (she's on this antibiotic twice a week for few several months now).
    Doctor is suggesting to try dropping Azythromicyn and try CERENIA 1/4 of 16mg tablet daily instead: WHAT DOES CERENIA TABLETS CAN DO FOR A POSSIBLE NASAL TUMOR?! (still awaiting to hear back from the IM doctor).
    Dr. also mentioned Steroids could help but with diabetes would be hard.

Back in May, CT scan, Rhinoscopy, Chest Radiographs, Anesthesia and biopsies were offered but because of the invasive procedure (more then the outrageous cost) and the risks/stress associated with it, we opted for antibiotic (Azithromicyn) therapy first which seemed to help up 'till a bit ago.

DOES ANYBODY HAD TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF ISSUES WITH A CAT? WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST? SHOULD I TRY TO GET A DIFFERENT SPECIALTY DOCTOR'S OPINION?
    Need to mention that Missy became even more sensitive to anything...since been diagnosed with diabetes/Acro she's gotten more and more grumpy every day and now she won't even let me brush her, pick her up and I can barely touch and kiss her without her hissing and getting upset.....I can still test her BGs and give her shots but it comes with snapping sometimes, not sure I can even get her inside the carrier withouth getting bitten and upsetting her so much if I have to take to the vet! And that's why I've been so hesitant for additional testing...reallt don't know what else to do for my Missy .

Again, any suggestions wold be really appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Simone! I’m sorry about your struggles with Missy. Any chance of giving her Gabapentin for the vet visit? I know she’s used it before for pain, although the dose for relaxing her enough to get her to the vet would be different.

I can’t think of any benefit that Cerenia would have for nasal lymphoma. It can be mildly anti-inflammatory, but I believe that would be in the GI tract. Perhaps your vet was thinking that it would help her want to eat more? 1/4 of a 16 mg tablet is a small dose. How much does Missy weigh? Is she tiny?

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Steroids could possibly help the inflammation, yes, but it would make the BG rise - you could adjust her insulin

4. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Hi Suzanne! If I have to I'll give Missy a dose of Gaba for a vet visit but I know for fact that that's the reason she ended up to the ER a few months ago...IM doctor suggested give Missy a daily dose of Gaba for pain management but soon enough she got sickened and lethargic; I immediately stopped that and increase her daily CBD oil instead and since she's been doing much better.
    As for the Cerenia, I'm still waiting for the Dr. to explain why she suggested it but I'm finding out online the different uses of this medication.
    This is what I was able to find online so far: 8 reasons a veterinarian might prescribe Cerenia for your cat (fetchpet.com). I couldn't find much about it but it looks like some sort of nasal solution can also be make in order to target a URI or sinus inflamation....I understand that Missy may have something more serious than that but I'll be willing to try that, unless is going to worsen her liver or have other obvious side effects...
    I know steroids won't be the greatest course of action but, at this point, anything to make her feel comfortable without having her go through hell

5. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

Update: Just got off the phone with the IM Dr. and yes, she suggested 1/4 of 16mg of Cerenia daily as an "attempt" to help with the sinus issue but doesn't hink this is rhinitis we're dealing with. The other option is Prednilosone 5mg. I'm guessing Missy's weight went down to lb. 11 or so, she doesn't let me take her weight anymore.
    I'm going to give Cerenia a try first for a couple of weeks and go from there.

6. Suzanne & Darcy

@Our Dolly Girl (GA) hi Adrienne. You are the only person I could think of who has a lot of experience with cats with sinus problems. I know it’s painful to think about Dolly, but do you have any advice for Simone and her beloved cat, Missy?

7. Suzanne & Darcy

By all means then do not give her Gabapentin. I had to use it on my cat Marcus this past summer because he had an overgrowth of Demodex cati mites in his hair follicles following his radiation treatment that had further suppressed his immune system. He was not harmed by it, but was very suppressed by it — Lying around all the time and not moving much. And I think it also caused urine retention in him (between that and hydroxyzine hydrochloride which I will not give him again.). I would not risk it for Missy of she had a negative experience with it.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

I hope you can get the pill into her. Cerenia tastes bitter. I saw in that article you mentioned that often nasal drops of Cerenia are prescribed for upper respiratory problems. I doubt Missy would let you do that.

9. MISSY + Simone&MICIO (GA)

I pill Missy several times on a daily basis with no problems, I put all meds and even CBD oil inside gel caps coated with some coconut oil to insure she'll swallow it easy. Nasal drops wouldn't be a good idea because that would most likely cause her to sneeze, meaning more blood. I started on Cerenia last night, I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if it does anything. IM Dr. doesn't think is a polyp as that usually happens in younger kitties and doesn't bleed like that.
    I'll keep you posted...

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.