Increased Lantus from 1.25 to 1.50 and B.G. is still high

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julia78, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Good evening,

I increased my cat Pepper's Lantus insulin dose from 1.25 to 1.50 a week ago per the advice of a FDMB contributor in another forum. I'm wondering if it's too early to increase it again. I just tested him after he had been walking around in my yard and his BG was over 400, the highest it's been in a very long time. I did some quick research and one thing I read was that BG can go up after exercise. It was recommended that I post questions in this forum as it is more specific to the insulin Pepper takes.
    I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you, Julia

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You aren’t following either of our methods. We don’t hold any dose as long as you have with numbers like you are getting for nadir. Please read the dosing methods.

Julia78 likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

4. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

The dosing methods we use - start low go slow (SLGS) and tight regulation (TR) - are explained in the 5th message down at the top of this forum (the ‘sticky’ section where the messages are stuck in place). Have a look and see which you think will suit you and Pepper best and then add that information (SLGS or TR) to your signature so people can give the the right advice.
    In Peppers spreadsheet there is no shot information for PM 10/6 or PM 10/8 - if u did shoot can u add the dose please. If u didn’t shoot for some reason you can put NS for no shot and an explanation as to why not in the comments section.

It will also help you to get advice if you add the ‘?’ to you subject line so people can easily see you have a question that needs answering :)

Julia78 likes this.
  5. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Thank you.

6. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Thank you so much, Vyktors Mum. This whole thing has been a challenge for me since I live alone, work a lot and am generally stressed out. I appreciate your advice.

7. tiffmaxee

After reading if you have any questions about either one or both ask away. Holding the dose too long in too high numbers can lead to insulin resistance making even more insulin necessary.

Julia78 and Vyktors Mum like this.
  8. tiffmaxee

Are you working from home? You have gotten a lot of tests. I’m alone too and was helping care for my mom in failing health when Max was with me. If stressed I recommend starting with SLGS.

Julia78 likes this.
  9. Julia78

Julia78 Member

I’ve had the past week off from my primary job so I’ve been testing a lot since I increased Pepper’s dose. My work schedule has been yo-yo-ing for the past couple of months and it has has really interfered with dosing consistencies. I only recently learned that I should have been gradually raising Pepper’s dose since his numbers are so high.. I feel terrible for not doing it sooner. I’m embarrassed to say I had been waiting for his numbers to go down naturally as he (hopefully) neared remission.

10. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I will start with SLGS.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. tiffmaxee

No embarrassment is allowed here. The one who should be embarrassed is your vet and many more who hand out insulin and don’t explain how to use it. You are here now. So you do t need your vet. I know people follow TR working full time and there’s a whole sticky on it. I could never have done it living alone.

Julia78 likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

I see some blank spots. Did you skip shots or forget to fill in the spreadsheet?

Julia78 likes this.
  13. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Thank you.
    Thank you.

14. Julia78

Julia78 Member

I didn’t skip shots. I may have not tested pre dose a couple of times. I’ll go check. Should I write something in the pre-shot area indicating I didn’t test?

15. tiffmaxee

No. I saw the other night there’s isn’t anything in the unit box. If you don’t get a pretest just leave it blank but it’s important to get them to make sure he’s high enough to shoot.

Julia78 likes this.
  16. Julia78

Julia78 Member

I understand I should be testing before every shoot. I was complacent after consistently seeing such high numbers. From now on I'll make sure I get a pre shoot number. Do you think I should increase his insulin to 1.75 units? It's been 7 days since I increased it from 1.25 to 1.5, as you probably noticed. I'll go re-read the instructions. Thanks again for your help.

17. tiffmaxee

Yes, I would increase to 1.75. I just needed to make sure you didn’t skip any shots.

Julia78 likes this.
  18. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Ok, I’ll start the increased dose tomorrow morning. Have a good night. : )

19. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Good morning,
    I’m wondering if it takes a week for increased Lantus dosages to take effect. Pepper’s BG numbers seem to be going up instead of down since I increased his dose from 1.5 to 1.75 five days ago. I can’t help but wonder if this is in part due to the vial of Lantus I’m using losing its efficacy, although I’ve read the vials can last up to six moths. I ordered 5 pens from Marks Marine Meds and am expecting it to be delivered next week. I do not see any white floaters in the vial I’m currently using. I’m very worried about Pepper. Knowing he doesn’t feel well breaks my heart. : (

20. Julia78

Julia78 Member

Should I have started a new thread?

21. tiffmaxee

Yes. New day new thread. How old is the vial? Has it been kept in the fridge? It should last 6 months. Let me look at your ss. Be right back. I will answer on your new thread.