? Inconsistent Readings on Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri

Sherri Member

Hello to all of my FDMB friends! I just have a question about some readings I got on my Bayer Contour Next. Shamus has been OTJ for nearly 2 months and I was doing his weekly BG test. The first reading said to add more blood so I did and it was 2.7. I know I have had readings that have been skewed because of lack of blood so I decided to do another because he is average 3.8 weekly. When I did the test 3 minutes later it was 4.6. I thought that higher than his average range (although I know still a good number) and thought, hmmm I wonder how consistent my monitor is and took another sample 5 min later and got 5.8 (a reading I've never got in the testing ever during remission)!? I know all of the numbers are good and that I was stressing him out with the back to back tests, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of inconsistency with consecutive readings and if this is an issue with the meter or is there another reason for it? A few weeks ago his saliva dripped onto the meter and got pushed into the area where the strips go, essentially getting it wet, and I was unable to insert any strips without getting an error message regarding the strips for about a half hour or so, and then it was fine. Just curious about what's going on here. I normally take one test and trust the reading. Now I'm not so sure I should?

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Sherri, do you have any testing solution for you meter? If you do, you could run a test on a strip and see if your meter is functioning properly. If it is functioning properly, my guess would be that you were correct in that Shamus was getting stressed out thus the different readings. I have had that happen to me with my Relion meter. The readings can vary +/- by 20%. Congrats on the continued OTJ !!!

Squalliesmom and Sherri like this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Bobbie that in all likelihood what you saw was simply the product of a stress reaction from Shamus. If you call Bayer, they will send you the test solution, probably no charge. Most companies are really good that way. Ideally, whenever you start a new package of strips, it's a good idea to test your meter. Of course now that Shamus is on a honeymoon, you won't be going through strips very quickly but it's still useful to have the solution for times like this when a mystery crops up!

So glad to hear Shamus is continuing to do so well. Way to go Shamus!:D:cat::D

4. Sherri

Sherri Member

Thanks everyone! I didn't get any testing solution with my monitor. Is this something the pharmacy could have as well? I didn't realize the results could change so much between a matter of minutes! Hope you and your sugar babies are doing well too!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

You can try the pharmacy but I have always had to call the meter company and they will send it out free.

Sherri likes this.
  6. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Sherri. I have the same meter and I just went to their website - I'm in Canada also, so I'm sure you can just order online. I received the test solution free of charge, and I also ordered a spare battery (also free of charge). The site said 2 weeks but I had it in 3 days. I think most pharmacies that carry the meter would also have the solution, but would likely charge for it.

7. Sherri

Sherri Member

Thanks again everyone! I called the pharmacy and they have to order it too and will charge me. I checked his BG again this morning and it read 2.5. Fed him and he vomitted :(. I see this seems to be a trend on Saturdays when I sleep in a bit longer. I had fed him last night very late when I got home so thought it would be ok to feed him a couples hours later this morning to offset, so I'm hoping just the scarf and barf. I do know he was making hairball sounds midweek and didn't produce anything so maybe that could also be a factor?

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds like a "scarf and barf" situation! How dare you throw off his schedule!! :woot::woot: :pMy old guy usually does the vomit thing a couple of times before he produces one of those icky hairballs so that could be a factor too!

Sherri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.